Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Boy I should have read this thread earlier thought we were still on XP941 still, the game has changed. I've ordered a couple of the Sintech's - one for clients the other for my usage. Native booting off an Apple 1Tb nMP SSD really appeals to me and sure will my clients with the same i/o as a 6,1 :D

Is bootcamp working booting off this PCIe also on a 3,1 as well as the 4-5,1 and how do they get along with solo X2 chaps?

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Boy I should have read this thread earlier thought we were still on XP941 still, the game has changed. I've ordered a couple of the Sintech's - one for clients the other for my usage. Native booting off an Apple 1Tb nMP SSD really appeals to me and sure will my clients with the same i/o as a 6,1 :D

Is bootcamp working booting off this PCIe also on a 3,1 as well as the 4-5,1 and how do they get along with solo X2 chaps?

No issues with the Velocity Solox2. There have been reports a couple pages back on Bootcamp working.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
No issues with the Velocity Solox2. There have been reports a couple pages back on Bootcamp working.

Seen those but none for the 3,1 which is renowned for being an absolute pita booting off PCIe compared to the 4-5,1, with bootcamp in particular. I have an x2 which I have got dual booted somehow (with Apricorn tech support no help at all) with its second connector connected to the bootcamp evo which is thermal taped onto the top of the OS X evo using odd power. My intention is to get the nMP 1tb Rev 2 and possibly even retire the x2 till I get my 5,1 dual socket and boot OS X and 7x64 off the 1tb blade, one of the 840 Evo's can go in a sled as scratch for now.

Anyone who has the Rev 2 1tb nMP blade can they confirm if the Apple part number is different than Rev 1? Will aid my hunt for these in places other than ebay where no doubt we'll all be bidding against each other :D

Last edited:

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
It wouldn't surprise me if the Apple part number is different, and this second revision corresponds to the 2014 rMBP and rIMAC models, or at least the new rIMAC. Let's find the Apple part number for the 1 TB rIMAC drive.

The r/w on the new iMac are just under 700 mb/s, which is half of this MZ-KPV1T00/0A2.

And it connects at 2 lanes. I assume that is the same device that at 4 lanes has twice the r/w.

I think the seller is onto us, the price has been steadily marching up since this discussion began.

BTW, for UK people, I have an untouched new 1TB first revision if anyone knows someone who would like to buy it, I put it in the marketplace forum

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It wouldn't surprise me if the Apple part number is different, and this second revision corresponds to the 2014 rMBP and rIMAC models, or at least the new rIMAC. Let's find the Apple part number for the 1 TB rIMAC drive.

The r/w on the new iMac are just under 700 mb/s, which is half of this MZ-KPV1T00/0A2.

And it connects at 2 lanes. I assume that is the same device that at 4 lanes has twice the r/w.

I think the seller is onto us, the price has been steadily marching up since this discussion began.

BTW, for UK people, I have an untouched new 1TB first revision if anyone knows someone who would like to buy it, I put it in the marketplace forum

If it was a second revision I would have snapped that up. Currently I'm making queries this week to get them from other sources here in the U.K. or to avoid getting annihilated by import duty with it coming back from there in someone's luggage. For the past two months anything I've got from the states I've been absolutely clobbered with duty and its a pita!

655-1810D is the a02 part for the 6,1 1tb apparently will have that confirmed tomorrow or Tuesday

Last edited:

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
If it was a second revision I would have snapped that up. Currently I'm making queries this week to get them from other sources here in the U.K. or to avoid getting annihilated by import duty with it coming back from there in someone's luggage. For the past two months anything I've got from the states I've been absolutely clobbered with duty and its a pita!

655-1810D is the a02 part for the 6,1 1tb apparently will have that confirmed tomorrow or Tuesday

I have the number for the nMP 1tb down as 661-7540. Maybe I have the wrong chart.

I know about the duties. That's why I thought it might still be worth something since I brought it over myself and there is no fuss no muss for a UK buyer on international shipping, duties, or Parcel Force Bermuda Zones :eek:.

If no one else buys it, I might fly a bit slower on my own machine until the prices come down, or put it on ebay tonight for a buy-it-now and see if anyone is interested. It is still over 1,000 mb/s, after all.

If you find a good UK source for a good price, let us know? As far as I can tell most are showing up in the US or S Korea. The UK official Apple prices on the part are eye-watering high

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I have the number for the nMP 1tb down as 661-7540. Maybe I have the wrong chart.

I know about the duties. That's why I thought it might still be worth something since I brought it over myself and there is no fuss no muss for a UK buyer on international shipping, duties, or Parcel Force Bermuda Zones :eek:.

If no one else buys it, I might fly a bit slower on my own machine until the prices come down, or put it on ebay tonight for a buy-it-now and see if anyone is interested. It is still over 1,000 mb/s, after all.

If you find a good UK source for a good price, let us know? As far as I can tell most are showing up in the US or S Korea. The UK official Apple prices on the part are eye-watering high

I can't confirm about the p/n till I find out from my contacts at AASP's which bearing in mind it's half term and I have all three kids tomorrow will be Tuesday.

I would just keep it and stick it in your own rig unless you are going to the states again pretty quickly. I've got a couple of weeks (possibly more if the post office hold up yet another packet) with these sintech cards to source them, I do have contacts who fly regularly there and back often but am going to make some discreet enquiries over here first to see if I can pick some up on the cheap.

You'll hear from me via pm if I manage to source more than a couple of them - they allegedly may be pound notes :D

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
I can't confirm about the p/n till I find out from my contacts at AASP's which bearing in mind it's half term and I have all three kids tomorrow will be Tuesday.

I would just keep it and stick it in your own rig unless you are going to the states again pretty quickly. I've got a couple of weeks (possibly more if the post office hold up yet another packet) with these sintech cards to source them, I do have contacts who fly regularly there and back often but am going to make some discreet enquiries over here first to see if I can pick some up on the cheap.

You'll hear from me via pm if I manage to source more than a couple of them - they allegedly may be pound notes :D

Thanks.

If you are shipping things over, you might look into something I just used.
https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk

They get good bulk rates on DHL and clear it through customs. No transfer to Parcel Force. I think I spent £20 pounds on door to door pick up and delivery with tracking, 2/3 day DHL whereas DHL would quote you directly closer to £80-100.

Ah yes, half term. I have that too.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Update - the source for these new revision drives told me he's not sure he's getting any more supply of them. Its possible he wants to clear his inventory of revision one drives first, but I think we may have to wait until there are more of these things in the wild before they turn up again on eBay, folks.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Update - the source for these new revision drives told me he's not sure he's getting any more supply of them. Its possible he wants to clear his inventory of revision one drives first, but I think we may have to wait until there are more of these things in the wild before they turn up again on eBay, folks.

How much slower are the older ones than the latest rev?

The fast ones seemed to shoot way up in price recently, and for some the older ones may be a good deal if they can be had at a good price since for normal OS operations you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
How much slower are the older ones than the latest rev?

The fast ones seemed to shoot way up in price recently, and for some the older ones may be a good deal if they can be had at a good price since for normal OS operations you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

The "old" ones still r/w faster than 1,000 mb/s. You are right, its "fast enough". Benchmarks are here in the thread. The funny thing is, we'd all be ecstatic with that until 4 days ago when we learned that "this other amp goes to 11".

I think I'm going to calm myself down and just run this other one until there are enough of these new ones around that they are around for the same price. And, mind you, this is a good price compared to what the XP941 option was going for not long ago.

ADD -

I think the Apple Part Number for the second revision is 655-1860A, I think the 1st revision part number is 655-1810A. Just a hunch, but check that out.

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The new part has the look and feel of a next-generation device that hit the market prematurely. As Les Toker, Editor in Chief of The Ssd Review commented this SSD is the fastest that the industry has seen to date in that format. The difference is this is from an eBay purchase vs a pre-release preview to the industry.

To be honest, the seller and purchaser of the SSD has a good chance of getting a call from Samsung and/or Apple legal. If this was a new gen part it should be showing up in current products. Afaik, its vacant from thé marketplace.

The "old" ones still r/w faster than 1,000 mb/s. You are right, its "fast enough". Benchmarks are here in the thread. The funny thing is, we'd all be ecstatic with that until 4 days ago when we learned that "this other amp goes to 11".

I think I'm going to calm myself down and just run this other one until there are enough of these new ones around that they are around for the same price. And, mind you, this is a good price compared to what the XP941 option was going for not long ago.

ADD -

I think the Apple Part Number for the second revision is 655-1860A, I think the 1st revision part number is 655-1810A. Just a hunch, but check that out.

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
The new part has the look and feel of a next-generation device that hit the market prematurely. As Les Toker, Editor in Chief of The Ssd Review commented this SSD is the fastest that the industry has seen to date in that format. The difference is this is from an eBay purchase vs a pre-release preview to the industry.

To be honest, the seller and purchaser of the SSD has a good chance of getting a call from Samsung and/or Apple legal. If this was a new gen part it should be showing up in current products. Afaik, its vacant from thé marketplace.

Pls stop to mystify this part.

Ok, bought one them. It's not a prototype, because there is a tape on the SSD that says 'Warranty lost if seal removed'.

If it is available again, You would not buy it because it is to good to be true?

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The performance numbers hold more weight than the warranty sticker. FWIW.. SSD s from Apple / Samsung don't have that sticker. Tech of this nature usually shows up as a press release or on hardware review web sites, not end user forums. I need to check out thessdreview.com 's coverage of the last storage summit. They displayed the next gen xp941's chip layout.

The reality is your SSD gives us a glimpse of technology in the pipeline. This is very exciting! When/if it arrives in the channel for purchase again is the question. The standard 1TB SSD is a killer value @ $600ish compared to the current gen Xp941 @ 500ish.

[EDIT]
Your SSD may be running on Samsung’s own 3D V-NAND technology that was introduced over 4 months ago. (images from theSSDReview.com) Honestly, you are the 1st reported user in the world of this technology. The NAND identifiers from the chips use many characters that are not defined in the public. At a minimum, it's 16-cell MLC technology.

No mystification here. Thanks for sharing!!

Samsung-SSD-Summit-201404.png

Samsung-SSD-Summit-201407.png

Pls stop to mystify this part.

Ok, bought one them. It's not a prototype, because there is a tape on the SSD that says 'Warranty lost if seal removed'.

If it is available again, You would not buy it because it is to good to be true?

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
The reality is your SSD gives us a glimpse of technology in the pipeline. This is very exciting!

Honestly, you are the 1st reported user in the world of this technology. The NAND identifiers from the chips use many characters that are not defined in the public. At a minimum, it's 16-cell MLC technology.

No mystification here. Thanks for sharing!!

You are welcome. Funny, i was not aware of what I bought… :cool: Lost an other auction for an $600 SSD, and just decided to buy this one.

For those interested in pls see attached a higher res pic of that SSD.

---------------------

Edit: Looking at the controller chip part number, it's obviously the Mac variant of the next Samsung SSD.
Same controller number here:
http://erosionally5.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=4066690&item=8393

The bottleneck is the PCI Express 2.0 (4 lane port) of the cMac Pro, which limits the bandwidth tops around 1500 MB/s. With PCI Express 3.0 (4 lane) this device would be able to 1800 MB/s read speed, i suppose.

Update:
- Bootable (just installed and started OS X Mavericks)
- Option boot works
- No boot lag (OS X SATA-SSD on CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro and PCI-Express SSD blade boot without lag)
- Start time of OS X is not noticeably faster than on SATA-SSD (bottleneck CPU W3690?)
- The SSD shows up as 'Generic AHCI Controller', not 'Generic SATA Express Controller'
- Native TRIM Support (native Apple SSD)
- Big applications just start immediately, large files will be opened immediately
- Performance slightly better with Mavericks than with Mountain Lion, BlackMagic Disk Speed Test now 1416 MB/s Read and 1212 MB/s write.

Attachments

• IMG_0094b.jpg
    IMG_0094b.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 371
  • DiskSpeedTest Mavericks.png
    DiskSpeedTest Mavericks.png
    735.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

ThoreEliasson

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have two questions:

• As tempting as the Lycom+941 or other 1+GB/s options are, I am primarily looking for a cheap solution to overcome the limits of my MP 3.1 SATA to enhance the speed of an already available SATA SSD. I was hoping that there would be a bootable PCIe-SATA card that does essentially the same as the Lycom 120 does for the 941 blades i.e. be in the 25$ price range, without the need for any drivers and easily bootable. Are there any that I have missed?
  • Does the Lycom DT-120 only boot with certain SSDs like the 941 or does it work with just about any fitting PCIe SSD?

Thank you very much!

Cheers

Last edited:

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
I was hoping that there would be a bootable PCIe-SATA card that does essentially the same as the Lycom 120 does for the 941 blades i.e. be in the 25$ price range, without the need for any drivers and easily bootable. Are there any that I have missed?

Maybe this one.

On the other hand, I don't know how it works for 10.9 or 10.10. All the cheap cards will be slower than the 550MB/s that modern SSDs will get, but it'll be better than SATA 2.

Loa

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Addonics M2 PCIe SSD + 2 M2 SSD - PCIe 3.0 4X

Guys I just saw this on the Addonics website:

Install ONE (1) M2 PCIe SSD* and TWO (2) M2 SATA SSDs into one PCIe 4-Lane slot

Addonics M2 PCIe SSD + 2 M2 SSD - PCIe 3.0 4X

AD3M2SPX4.png

It retails for USD$25. I'm not a technical guy so is this better comparatively than what is available currently?

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
I was just able to snag one of these "revision 2" MZ-KPV1T00/0A2 (655-1860A) like Synchro3's. There was only one available or I'd post the link. Should have it here and up by the end of next weekend. I can post numbers if anyone is interested.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Hello everyone,

I have two questions:

• As tempting as the Lycom+941 or other 1+GB/s options are, I am primarily looking for a cheap solution to overcome the limits of my MP 3.1 SATA to enhance the speed of an already available SATA SSD. I was hoping that there would be a bootable PCIe-SATA card that does essentially the same as the Lycom 120 does for the 941 blades i.e. be in the 25$ price range, without the need for any drivers and easily bootable. Are there any that I have missed?
  • Does the Lycom DT-120 only boot with certain SSDs like the 941 or does it work with just about any fitting PCIe SSD?

Thank you very much!

Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-PCI-E...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4d1d21b677

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.