Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Hello, I installed Windows 8.1 on my rMBP 15" 2014. I activated Windows when booted directly to it via Bootcamp. When I accessed this partition via VMware Fusion 7, the system asks me to enter a product key. I entered the same key but Windows does not accept it. When I checked the system, it lists the last five letters as the current key. However, at the bottom right hand corner, it says Windows 8.1 Build 9600. So, has Windows really been activated? If so, why the Build number shows up on the desktop?

Could you please let me know what to do? Thanks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Microsoft's license is only good for one machine, real or virtual.
Running it in Bootcamp and again in VMWare violates the license which is why you got your error.
Stick with one machine only or buy a 2nd license.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Microsoft's license is only good for one machine, real or virtual.
Running it in Bootcamp and again in VMWare violates the license which is why you got your error.
Stick with one machine only or buy a 2nd license.

What about like that: I have activated 8.1 pro on boot camp. Now I want to reinstall clean- remove windows through partition and install again. Will that key will work?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
What about like that: I have activated 8.1 pro on boot camp. Now I want to reinstall clean- remove windows through partition and install again. Will that key will work?

Yes, the key will work. But most likely, your Windows license will show up as already installed on the Microsoft license servers.

So you need to reactivate by phone, calling a free number. I did this with my Windows 7 a few days ago. It's done in 5 minutes.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
Yes, the key will work. But most likely, your Windows license will show up as already installed on the Microsoft license servers.

So you need to reactivate by phone, calling a free number. I did this with my Windows 7 a few days ago. It's done in 5 minutes.

Oh, thank you very much :)

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I am a bit confused. For the past few years, I had been using one Windows license (XP, Windows 7) on both bootcamp and Fusion. Am I missing something? Is there some kind of new restriction in Windows 8.1?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
I am a bit confused. For the past few years, I had been using one Windows license (XP, Windows 7) on both bootcamp and Fusion. Am I missing something? Is there some kind of new restriction in Windows 8.1?

Why you don't ask MS, when you feel so comfortable with what you are doing ?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

The restriction was there in Windows 7 but the detection of machine changes is much stricter in Windows 8.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Microsoft will normally let you have a second activation if you are bootcamp and virtual if you ring them up and explain its for the same hardware. Ring the activation hotline in your locality and speak to an advisor.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
They'd have to give a second activation key.
It's Windows itself that's detecting the hardware change and deactivating itself.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Microsoft will normally let you have a second activation if you are bootcamp and virtual if you ring them up and explain its for the same hardware. Ring the activation hotline in your locality and speak to an advisor.

This. Good enough for the few users using a VM and a physical installation in parallel. A second key for this would be an overkill, IMO.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
This. Good enough for the few users using a VM and a physical installation in parallel. A second key for this would be an overkill, IMO.

Good enough only if you're willing to call Microsoft every time you want to start Windows.
It's not like Windows 7 where you activate once and you're good forever.
Windows 8 actually inspects the VM and forces a reactivation every time it detects a change.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Good enough only if you're willing to call Microsoft every time you want to start Windows.

It's not like Windows 7 where you activate once and you're good forever.

Windows 8 actually inspects the VM and forces a reactivation every time it detects a change.

When you ring Microsoft and explain they give you an installation key which doesn't do Groundhog Day. I have quite a few bootcamp parallels clients out there and they would be driving me nuts if it didn't!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.