Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johanpoan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hi!

I have been using yosemite on my macbook pro retina 15" since the full release. Today I noticed something rather strange and annoying.

I suddenly got popup from OS X that multiple programs has stopped responding and uses up a ton of memory, all of it in fact. See the attached pictures. The only tabs i had open was a 5 minute clip on youtube, and my webmail. And the memory went nuts and crashed, and it does it still as we speak. And I couldn't do anything or open anything else. I have tried using the PRAM reset without any results. I haven't tried SMC reset, but will begin it now and check back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 19.59.19.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 19.59.19.png
    577.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.09.24.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.09.24.png
    429.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.09.31.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 20.09.31.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 74

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi!

I have been using yosemite on my macbook pro retina 15" since the full release. Today I noticed something rather strange and annoying.

I suddenly got popup from OS X that multiple programs has stopped responding and uses up a ton of memory, all of it in fact. See the attached pictures. The only tabs i had open was a 5 minute clip on youtube, and my webmail. And the memory went nuts and crashed, and it does it still as we speak. And I couldn't do anything or open anything else. I have tried using the PRAM reset without any results. I haven't tried SMC reset, but will begin it now and check back.

Holy hell...11GB of swap used?!

Looks like it's a runaway process in Safari that's causing it to eat up tons of RAM. Could be Flash.

Have you updated your Flash?

johanpoan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you for the reply.

I remember that i installed the latest flash for OS X 10.06-10.10. But sometimes those installations fails. So I checked again to see if there was anything available. And I installed the latest one from the adobe webpage, as it downloaded and installed without problem now it seems that I didn't have it earlier.

I also noticed when I reboot the mac I get a Java notification and it seems that latest Java updates was not installed either. So I did that too, which is nice.

I am currently on Chrome to test if maybe it was Safari that was causing it. The only I think positive thing that changed was that now the computer is completely silent. With safari, the fans kicked into the highest gear.

There are still things that are not responding with chrome as well which bugs me.

EDIT: I am not even sure if now there is anything wrong with this. But are youtube, macrumors and a google search page take up that much space. Oh in the picture it says memory used 6,64gb, now its 7,34gb. Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 20.17.33.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 20.17.33.png
    973.5 KB · Views: 53

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Strange that so many people are having issues with 10.10 but my little core 2 duo MBP is enjoying every second of the new OS. IMO if you are still having issues after a few more days I would just TM a back up then use a program to completely wipe your drive then perform an install.

johanpoan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I guess a backup would be good and start from scratch. I haven't done that since I got this MBP.

And also, I did try the "purge" tip I found on the web to wipe the current cache and all that. But after just a few minutes of doing almost literally nothing, it went back to being dense...

If anyone comes up with a solution other than hoping to reformat the computer, that'll be great!

Thank you so far. Hope to find a solution.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thank you for the reply.

I remember that i installed the latest flash for OS X 10.06-10.10. But sometimes those installations fails. So I checked again to see if there was anything available. And I installed the latest one from the adobe webpage, as it downloaded and installed without problem now it seems that I didn't have it earlier.

I also noticed when I reboot the mac I get a Java notification and it seems that latest Java updates was not installed either. So I did that too, which is nice.

I am currently on Chrome to test if maybe it was Safari that was causing it. The only I think positive thing that changed was that now the computer is completely silent. With safari, the fans kicked into the highest gear.

There are still things that are not responding with chrome as well which bugs me.

EDIT: I am not even sure if now there is anything wrong with this. But are youtube, macrumors and a google search page take up that much space. Oh in the picture it says memory used 6,64gb, now its 7,34gb. Is this normal?

Hmm. At this stage you might as well as try resetting Safari.

Preferences → Privacy → Remove all website data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.