Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
I would just like to explain my situation. This is what I have. I have the Mid 2012 13 inch Macbook pro. It is the 2.5 GHz i5, intel HD 4000 graphics, 16gb of ddr3 and a 1tb hdd. MacBook was purchased September 2012

In the first six months I had the hdd cable replaced under warranty. Then a month or so later I had a failed hdd. I replaced the hdd myself with a 1tb. Fast forward to March of 2014 the Hdd cable went out again and I paid apple $60 for a fix. The problems I am having irritate the crap out of me. Then that same month this issue happened. I would open up the MacBook from sleep and it would have a grayish haze over the screen. It would lock up and not let me enter my password. Sometimes it would resolve it self. I thought it was a software issue because I had just done an update for Mavericks and Apple snuck in a update for a 13 inch Retina display even though my model didn't have a retina display. So after multiple restores and attempts to fix the issue I lived with it. Eventually a week later it would work perfectly if you adjusted the screen and held it at a certain angle, then about five minute later it would need to be adjusted again. I then did the Apple hardware test and had perfect results. I took it in to the geniuses they did some tests and all the hardware passed. The genius who was splitting time between me and four other customers while no other employees or managers would get him any help from the back, thought it may have been a pinched cable from the last hdd cable fix. He asked to have me let them keep it over night. I said ok. The store calls me back three days later and said its the screen going out and they would need $321 to fix. I declined. The laptop was less then 18 months old at the time.

I receive an email asking about my experience and said how the Genius I worked with was very pleasant and helpful, but my experienced stunk. I got a call from the manager asking very rudely how could I give her store such a low rating, and I explained how I was told the issue three days later instead of the next next day like I was informed, how its impossible to get through the automated system to actually talk to an employee, how multiple repairs have been done, and I was unhappy with a very expensive laptop being useless less then 18 months after it was purchased. She abruptly ended the conversation.
I picked up my laptop and received angry glares from this same manager.

A few days later I received another email asking about my experience. I gave it the same rating and said how rude the manager was to me. I received a chat conversation asking if Apple could help fix my problem. I explained how they could that I think with all the trouble that I have been through they should take care of it. They asked for some time and gave me a claim number.

a few weeks had passed it was late April and I had a phone call from someone at corporate and they said they would take care of it. I explained that it would be a few weeks before I could make it in. I brought it in the first week of June. They check it in and say it will be fixed. I get a call the next day asking for me to pay $321 for the repair. I was a little annoyed, but assumed it was a mix up. After several attempts to call the store and speak with an actual manager the same lady calls me back we have a disagreement and she says she can not honor what the corporate employee had told me, but she could deduct the hdd cable repair from the $321 if I had it fixed. Needless to say after months of Apple holding me in limbo it is not fixed and I just received the laptop back on October 9th.

I have a 2008 iMac, 2 of those same laptops which were bought at the same time one for my wife and one for me, every other model of iPhone since the 3gs, two mac minis for HTPCs, an iPad mini retina and close to $5,000 in software and movies from the app and iTunes stores. After arguing with the manager I explained the situation and how much I was vested into the apple philosophy. Her response was that apple can't treat customers who spend lots of money with them different then any other customers.

I am not happy and very frustrated.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
That sounds pretty dodgy. Seems like store to store behavior is quite a bit different between them. Shouldn't be that way but it's is. Almost like their are completely independently owned and operated or whatever.

Did you try corporate again just for the heck of it?

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I have realized the last couple of years....Making yourself dependent on any ecosystem is foolishness. Apple's ecosystem is great but not consistent. Any other store and maybe you would have got a new laptop!:rolleyes:

Wish you luck in getting this resolved. Push Corporate as hard as you can....

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Ring corporate, quote the claim number, ask them to take care of it directly, not via the store.

Well I'm back to post that nothing has changed. I called asking for help and now they are asking for me to pay for phone support to escalate any further. I sent an email to Tim Cook and haven't heard anything about it. I have a newborn and well while this infuriates me I need to catch up on sleep.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
That's a pretty crummy experience :( My closest Apple Store isn't perfect, but a few of the geniuses have gone the extra mile for me. My 2009 MBP has a history of HDD cable failures. I had AppleCare on it, and even got it serviced at no charge after AC expired. There was one time I went in and the Genius wiped the drive and reinstalled OS X instead of replacing the cable I knew was broken. Suffice to say I was pissed and almost sold the machine for parts. I went in again when my friend wanted to borrow it to learn how to program on a Mac, and they took care of me. The only thing I paid for was a new battery.

Unfortunately if you're out of warranty they have little reason to give you free support. I would try to escalate with corporate though and just eat the $19 cost of phone support. Or try a different store if you can. I know when I tried to call in without included phone support the guy wouldn't do it and referred me to the store.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
That's a pretty crummy experience :( My closest Apple Store isn't perfect, but a few of the geniuses have gone the extra mile for me. My 2009 MBP has a history of HDD cable failures. I had AppleCare on it, and even got it serviced at no charge after AC expired. There was one time I went in and the Genius wiped the drive and reinstalled OS X instead of replacing the cable I knew was broken. Suffice to say I was pissed and almost sold the machine for parts. I went in again when my friend wanted to borrow it to learn how to program on a Mac, and they took care of me. The only thing I paid for was a new battery.

Unfortunately if you're out of warranty they have little reason to give you free support. I would try to escalate with corporate though and just eat the $19 cost of phone support. Or try a different store if you can. I know when I tried to call in without included phone support the guy wouldn't do it and referred me to the store.

The Genius that helped me was very nice even though he had four customers myself included on the wooden table all at the same time. My problems started when the Store Manager got involved.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
The Genius that helped me was very nice even though he had four customers myself included on the wooden table all at the same time. My problems started when the Store Manager got involved.

I've never dealt with a store manager, so unfortunately my advice ends there.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I've never dealt with a store manager, so unfortunately my advice ends there.

I've dealt with store managers, and also Executive support. My experience is generally that they don't get to the positions they're in by being asshats. I'm guessing we only have one side of the story.

I do like the managers response in that it doesn't matter how many devices you have the service should be the same. Two thumbs up for that one.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I would suggest you stop dealing with that particular store and either deal with another store or directly with corporate.

I too got into the Apple hardware "ecosystem" primarily because of their reputation for legendary customer service and for the most part I haven't been disappointed. However I also had an absolutely horrible experience with one particular "genius" that left such a bad taste that I almost sold my MacBook and seriously considered getting a Microsoft Surface instead.

I'm fortunate enough to have five Apple stores within driving distance so I simply went to another store. The genius there was so good, he more than made up for the atrocious customer experience I had previously.

You're going to find bad apples (pardon the pun) everywhere - there's no point in fighting with them, simply take your business elsewhere.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
I would suggest you stop dealing with that particular store and either deal with another store or directly with corporate.

I too got into the Apple hardware "ecosystem" primarily because of their reputation for legendary customer service and for the most part I haven't been disappointed. However I also had an absolutely horrible experience with one particular "genius" that left such a bad taste that I almost sold my MacBook and seriously considered getting a Microsoft Surface instead.

I'm fortunate enough to have five Apple stores within driving distance so I simply went to another store. The genius there was so good, he more than made up for the atrocious customer experience I had previously.

You're going to find bad apples (pardon the pun) everywhere - there's no point in fighting with them, simply take your business elsewhere.

Why would you expect a tech who is getting paid a few dollars above min wage to give you the best service in the world. Just deal with support over the phone, going into a store you will always end up with a under paid over worked tech who doesn't really care about your problems. Or attempt to learn the device yourself. I don't know how someone can spend 2k+ on a device that they use daily and not expect to need learn a think or two to keep it running. The money you spent for a mac was on the design and the hardware not the "support" that they give you (that's why apple care is extra). The customer experience is dead in most stores with how easy it is to find information on the internet. Why spend top dollar on salesmen when most people already know what they want anyway. That's why stores like best buy are on their last limb and will most likely have the same fate as circuit city.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Why would you expect a tech who is getting paid a few dollars above min wage to give you the best service in the world. Just deal with support over the phone, going into a store you will always end up with a under paid over worked tech who doesn't really care about your problems. Or attempt to learn the device yourself. I don't know how someone can spend 2k+ on a device that they use daily and not expect to need learn a think or two to keep it running. The money you spent for a mac was on the design and the hardware not the "support" that they give you (that's why apple care is extra). The customer experience is dead in most stores with how easy it is to find information on the internet. Why spend top dollar on salesmen when most people already know what they want anyway. That's why stores like best buy are on their last limb and will most likely have the same fate as circuit city.

Thanks for the extremely condescending input, but the next time you want to go on a rant that has nothing to do with the post you're replying to, I would suggest creating a separate thread.
I'm not sure what anything anyone has posted has to do with "how easy it is to find information on the internet" or how any "attempt to learn the device yourself" would assist with defective hardware, but maybe you have some insights that the rest of us don't.

Instead of simply assuming that people looking for help at an Apple store are idiots who don't know how to use their computers, why not ask a few more questions to better understand the situation? For example, my particular problem ended up being diagnosed as a defective logic board that was covered under warranty, and if the original genius had done his job correctly, he would have known that.
Also, contrary to your assumption, I did pay for AppleCare, though it's completely irrelevant as this happened within a month of purchase (the device in question was an 11" MacBook Air for my sister).

Lastly, the average hourly wage of an Apple Genius is considerably higher than minimum wage - though again, I struggle to see what relevance that has on any post anyone has made in this thread.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for the extremely condescending input, but the next time you want to go on a rant that has nothing to do with the post you're replying to, I would suggest creating a separate thread.
I'm not sure what anything anyone has posted has to do with "how easy it is to find information on the internet" or how any "attempt to learn the device yourself" would assist with defective hardware, but maybe you have some insights that the rest of us don't.

Instead of simply assuming that people looking for help at an Apple store are idiots who don't know how to use their computers, why not ask a few more questions to better understand the situation? For example, my particular problem ended up being diagnosed as a defective logic board that was covered under warranty, and if the original genius had done his job correctly, he would have known that.
Also, contrary to your assumption, I did pay for AppleCare, though it's completely irrelevant as this happened within a month of purchase (the device in question was an 11" MacBook Air for my sister).

Lastly, the average hourly wage of an Apple Genius is considerably higher than minimum wage - though again, I struggle to see what relevance that has on any post anyone has made in this thread.

Getting warranty work for computers is always a pain in rear. Don't expect perfect customer service from a dying business model (retail computer stores). Being a tech at a retail store is very stressful and the pay is quite low for the amount of work you do (just like I don't expect to get perfect food from someone getting paid $10 a hour). If you have some knowledge about the product you just paid a high price for you might be able to fix a thing or two and learn something in the process. Every time I do need support it's always been a better idea to give them a call since they make records of every call and everything that was said (they can also transfer you to corp very easily).

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
I've dealt with store managers, and also Executive support. My experience is generally that they don't get to the positions they're in by being asshats. I'm guessing we only have one side of the story.

I do like the managers response in that it doesn't matter how many devices you have the service should be the same. Two thumbs up for that one.

I didn't deal with the Store Manager till I left my review of my experience. In store everything passed the hardware tests in front of me. The Genius and I thought it was a pinched cable resulting from my last time they replaced my hard drive cable. I was asked to leave my MacBook overnight and they would fix the cable issue and call me the next afternoon. I tried calling the next evening to ask how everything was going and had to jump through the automated phone system. I was disconnected and gave up. I didn't receive a phone call till about three days after I called back. I was informed that they now wanted ~$320 to fix. I then left my review that I wasn't satisfied with my experience especially after multiple failings with the computer. Thats when I started my interactions with the Store Manager who was more concerned about her stores satisfaction numbers then helping resolve the situation.

----------

Getting warranty work for computers is always a pain in rear. Don't expect perfect customer service from a dying business model (retail computer stores). Being a tech at a retail store is very stressful and the pay is quite low for the amount of work you do (just like I don't expect to get perfect food from someone getting paid $10 a hour). If you have some knowledge about the product you just paid a high price for you might be able to fix a thing or two and learn something in the process. Every time I do need support it's always been a better idea to give them a call since they make records of every call and everything that was said (they can also transfer you to corp very easily).

Well I ran a few hardware tests first to see what the issue was. By this time I had already had the HDD replaced once and the Hdd cable replaced 2x. It's how I figured out all my previous problems with this Macbook. Once it passed all those tests I started systematically from the software side. I noticed that about a week before it had downloaded a Retina display driver even though I did not own a Retina macbook. Eventually it lead to multiple restores. Then and only then did I take it back to Apple. It passed all the hardware tests that the Genius ran while I was there for about an hour and a half. We both then thought it was the cable being pinched from the last repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.