Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Re my post above regarding Cuda. I restarted my Mac Pro this AM, and the Cuda PP is now showing "Update Required"??????. The information on Nvidia's Web Site says different.

Lou

Attachments

• Web.jpg
    Web.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Cuda.jpg
    Cuda.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 76

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Thank you MVP!
Do you think that PCIe v2 offers a noticeably increase in performance with a cMP 3.1 and a 750 ti or 970 versus PCIe v1?

As I have posted before, the 3,1 hits a glass ceiling with OpenGl and GPUs.

OpenCl and CUDA may not be as had hit by this.

With a 750 I doubt that the PCIE speed will have an impact.

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
Hi,

Does anyone know how I can install the Yosemite Nvidia web drivers on a Mac Pro 1,1 running Yosemite?

I get the message, 'This computer is not compatible with the NVIDIA Web Driver.'

Thank you.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Someone had written a patch for some earlier drivers but I forgot who and how they did it. Unless it's patched out, those drivers won't work on a 1,1 or 2,1.. notice how nVidia says it's only for Mac Pros Early 2008 (3,1) and up..

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
Thanks for the reply. I did a bit more digging and managed to patch the most recent drivers myself. All seems to be working fine on my Mac Pro 1,1 running Yosemite #

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
You wouldn't be possibly interested in sharing those drivers or pointing to the post that told you how to do it, would you?

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
You wouldn't be possibly interested in sharing those drivers or pointing to the post that told you how to do it, would you?

Hi, sure.

Here's the post I followed written by theBostonian:

-----------------------

nVidia have not released the 10.9.5 version yet so no one can mod them.

FYI the actual modding is very easy, once nVidia releases their updated driver I'll try and do it myself

Actually, anyone comfortable with the terminal can do it:

Expand the .pkg

Code:
pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver
use TextWrangler or other editor to edit var found_hardware = 0 to

Code:
var found_hardware = 1
Delete old .pkg then run this command:

Code:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg

-----------------------

If needed though, i'm happy to share the driver i've already patched. Can't guarantee it will work or won't harm your system though, although I imagine that's not likely.

Cheers

----------

Hi, sure.

Here's the post I followed written by theBostonian

nVidia have not released the 10.9.5 version yet so no one can mod them.

FYI the actual modding is very easy, once nVidia releases their updated driver I'll try and do it myself

Actually, anyone comfortable with the terminal can do it:

Expand the .pkg

Code:
pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver
use TextWrangler or other editor to edit var found_hardware = 0 to

Code:
var found_hardware = 1
Delete old .pkg then run this command:

Code:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg
[/B]

If need though, i'm happy to share the driver i've already patched. Can't guarantee it will work or won't harm your system though, although I imagine that's not likely.

Cheers

I simply did this with the newest drivers for Yosemite.

Last edited:

rjheys

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Hi Guys. Very helpful thread, wonder if you can help me out. Im looking to replace the GTX 570 in my Mac Pro 4,1 and need something that can output 4K, I like the look of the GTX 970 but uncertain weather it can do 4K Out in OS X 10.10. Any ideas/recommendations for a 4K Mac card?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Guess what popped up on my screen upon startup this morning. Yep, "Cuda Update Required". Still not fixed:mad:

Lou

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Mac Pro 3,1 OS X 10.9.5 GTX570 only one monitor works with Nvidia Web drivers

I posted this as a new thread but it got no replies & has dropped down tha page so I will re-post here where people who know about these Nvidia PC cards might be reading.

I installed a PC GTX570 in my Mac Pro 3,1 some time ago & it was definitely working both with the stock OS X driver & the Nvidia Web Driver. I am now running Mavericks OS X 10.9.5 & realised that it was using the stock driver but when I switch to the Nvidia Web drivers then only one display works. I have two monitors (HP LP3065 & HP LP2465) connected by DVI but cannot get both working at the same time. I have both monitors connected & it displays only on the LP2465 on port 1 (furthest from the motherboard) but if I unplug that one then the display switches to the LP3065 on port 0 (nearest to the main board). It doesn't make any difference if I swap the monitor connections round I still can only ever have one monitor active at a time. It works fine with the stock driver.

The GTX570 is in slot 1 & is the only graphics card in the machine. Is this a problem with Mavericks? It was definitely working with Mountain Lion. I was considering upgrading to Yosemite & will definitely do so if it fixes this issue. Although is the Nvidia Web Driver THAT much better than the stock driver? I get to use CUDA with both which is the important thing for me.

hompfel

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Only one Display Mac Pro 1,1 + GTX560

Hello,

i have the same problem with mac pro 1,1 (Piker-Alpher boot.efi) and a geforce gtx 560.
There is a HDMI, DVI and a VGA port on the card but only the VGA port works. Web driver or OS X default driver makes no difference.

I've tested it with OS 10.9.5 and 10.10.... Same problem.

Under 10.7.5 it works perfect.

Any ideas ?

TIA,
hompfel

Agent007pr

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Hi guys! I'm dropping a 780 Classified in favor of a 980 SC (got a good offer for mine). Besides the lower power draw, has anyone else worked with them? Measured benefits? Things to watch out for?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I haven't got any response to my question regarding my GTX570 only working with one monitor if I use the Nvidia Web drivers. Does this mean nobody is using a GTX570 with Mavericks & dual monitors? Can anyone confirm that they do have a non-flashed PC GTX570 working with 2xDVI monitors & the Nvidia Web drivers?

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^At one time I was using a MVC flashed GTX 570, and it only had 2 working outputs - The lower DVI and the Display Port. I never used it unflashed. I still have it in the box. I put it up for sale in the Market Section and had no takers.

Lou

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
^^^^At one time I was using a MVC flashed GTX 570, and it only had 2 working outputs - The lower DVI and the Display Port. I never used it unflashed. I still have it in the box. I put it up for sale in the Market Section and had no takers.

Lou
Thanks. I just checked & my card has 2xDVI & an HDMI socket. The point is that with the Nvidia web drivers both DVI sockets work just not both at the same time. With the default OS X driver they both work fine together. I don't have any performance issue that I think may be fixed by the Nvidia web drivers but I am guessing that they must be better/faster in some way else why would Nvidia make them available?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I wasn't saying that my GTX 570 has only 2 outputs, I said 2 working outputs. It has two DVI, one HDMI and a Display port. But the HDMI port and the Top DVI port have no output.

Lou

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
What is little understood is that Nvidia drivers have to keep 2 completely different ways of mapping ports running. EFI inited cards map differently from the self inited cards.

So somewhere in CA are some guys dealing with Apple's silly policies, trying to fix bugs in current OS, write drivers for upcoming OS while also adding support for new cards (maxwell)

Meanwhile, Apple has left them cold with recent GPU choices.

Unlike Microsoft they can't test every Nvidia card as both self init and EFI init with each driver. We have had to alter our display definitions a few times this year to keep ports working.

I could probably fix your 570 but you'd be better off just using the default driver if it behaves better for you.

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
Yes, mine as well. Good to see that Nvidia is attending to business!

Edit - I spoke too soon. After the first reboot, the CUDA 'Update Required' text re-appeared. And, CUDA is still non-functional.

I have the same issue with my GTX 680. "Update required" and CUDA non-functional.

Is this something we're waiting on Nvidia to resolve with an update?? Or would you say this is something the "community" will have to find a solution for???

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have the same issue with my GTX 680. "Update required" and CUDA non-functional.

Is this something we're waiting on Nvidia to resolve with an update?? Or would you say this is something the "community" will have to find a solution for???

Yes, NVIDIA needs to release a version of CUDA that works on Yosemite (and in particular the NVIDIA web driver). Surprising that it's taken this long, but one would expect it to be released soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.