Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
I don't think I have ever in my life have blood from anyone splashed in my eyes or mouth. That's how people's imagination goes wrong and increases their perception of risk: Blood getting splashed in your eyes and mouth is a powerful image, and something that you wouldn't like, Ebola or not. Since the image is so powerful, your brain thinks it could easily happen and needs to be avoided, and _then_ you combine it with Ebola. (Medical staff can avoid this risk quite easily).

If you've ever shaken someone's hand, and felt the moisture of their sweat, that's a body fluid. If ebola strikes the U.S., it will be important for people to realise what body fluids are.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
To answer the OP question It's not just the Ebola.

After spending some time on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that a "State of FEAR" in quite normal for a good proportion of the US population.:p

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
... , I have come to the conclusion that a "State of FEAR" in quite normal for a good proportion of the US population.:p
Not just you. They seem afraid of about anything.
Now a healthy amount of viligance is a good thing, but making decisions based on fear is really, really bad. It leaves you up to be manipulated to act and agree to wars because the boggeyman is threatening you. Maybe take a closer look and realize that those manipulaters that provide you with the boggeyman are the same that offer the solution to scare that same boggeyman away.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
A state of fear is what drives the media and their ratings, which in turn is just an endless circle.

OP if you're truly worried about Ebola then maybe you should never plan on leaving your home ever again. You stand a greater chance of dying via a plane crash then Ebola.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A state of fear is what drives the media and their ratings, which in turn is just an endless circle.

OP if you're truly worried about Ebola then maybe you should never plan on leaving your home ever again. You stand a greater chance of dying via a plane crash then Ebola.

Dying in a plane crash and then catching ebola? That's just unlucky.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
To answer the OP question It's not just the Ebola.

After spending some time on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that a "State of FEAR" in quite normal for a good proportion of the US population.:p

Yup.

See the last election as proof. EBOLA! ISIS! IMMIGRANTS! BE AFRAID, BE VERY
AFRAID!!!!!!!

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Having worked in all the West African countries, never worried about ebola, you must have direct contact with an infected person, worried more about Malaria, also thousands of people die from flu every year in US, hardly a peep out of people.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Having worked in all the West African countries, never worried about ebola, you must have direct contact with an infected person, worried more about Malaria, also thousands of people die from flu every year in US, hardly a peep out of people.

I think it's the percentage that worries people, 50% of people (or more) who catch it will die. If flu had those kind of rates you'd bet people would be more serious about it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.