Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good for a MMORPG.

I don't have a hate for wrappers though... I have several RPGs, like NWN1 and 2 that run perfect with Wineskin for me.. can't tell its not native.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Please, tell me you are Horde.

For Aiur!

Ooops…. wait… that didn't sound right.

----------

Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good for a MMORPG.

I don't have a hate for wrappers though... I have several RPGs, like NWN1 and 2 that run perfect with Wineskin for me.. can't tell its not native.

Wrappers are generally fine for older games, since the older games tend to perform well anyways even on slightly older Macs.

But as far as running the latest AAA games? Having them ported as wrapper games is just not a good idea. My opinion, of course.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Its still on steam if you like steam DRM.

Divinity Original Sin is DRM free on steam.
You can download it and then move it where ever you want and uninstall steam afterwards.

----------

Oh nice to hear that NWN2 still runs! And I still have Mavericks, won't be installing Yosemite until at least 10.10.1

Would performance on NWN 2 be pretty good on a modern i7 quad-core iMac? I'm guessing yes, but the title is long before the time of all the latest OpenGL optimizations with Mavericks/Yosemite etc

And last question…. is NWN2 an open-sandbox, create the character you want type of RPG?

I'm already tired of games that force you to be a specific type of hero, who already has a specific type of background history. It also predetermines what your quest will be, and the game already scripted how you would "save the world" (e.g. Diablo 3).

I see there are a few boxed copies left (MacOS version) online.

Edit: well that stinks, I just found out Aspyr lists this as No Longer Available. Can't buy directly from Aspyr any more. And I might also guess that they may have stopped supporting it? :(

NWN2 is pretty much open. The character creation is very customizable where there are 10+ classes and hero classes and you can even multi class.

The complete version features 3 expansions, giving you over 200 hours of play, and there are literally 100s of modules built for it too.
I have replayed the entire Baldur's Gate 1 in NWN2 in 3d, which is a 10GB free mod.

NWN2 also features multiplayer in the main campaigns and there are some almost MMO like servers too where you can play with many people.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I have an old boxed Mac version of NWN and it still runs fine on Mavericks, I know because I was playing it a couple months ago.
I really would like how you managed to pull off that magic. With Rosetta's demise when Lion was released there should be no possible way to run the actual Mac version. There definitely never was a UB patch.

I definitely know my NWN Mac version does no longer work (I still have it on one of my external drives) due to being a PPC binary. That's why I also have a Wineskin wrapper for the Windows version.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I really would like how you managed to pull off that magic. With Rosetta's demise when Lion was released there should be no possible way to run the actual Mac version. There definitely never was a UB patch.

I definitely know my NWN Mac version does no longer work (I still have it on one of my external drives) due to being a PPC binary. That's why I also have a Wineskin wrapper for the Windows version.

Sorry my mistake, I play a version I have under a wrapper, I confused myself because I have the box and manual on my desk for when I play in case I want or need to consult the manual, again sorry for the confusion.

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Any jRPGS out there also?

I really love them. You know, like old school final fantasy, grandia, suikoden, skies of arcadia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.