Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Not with Subway. They have terminals with no overt NFC capability and no markings, which are - in my experience - out of normal customer reach on the other side of the counter, facing the cashier.

If you want to pay with Apple Pay, just tell the cashier you want to pay with Credit. They hit a button on the register screen that activates the terminal, and the NFC logo will appear. TouchID and done.

I went to Subway this weekend and the cashier asked me if I wanted to pay with my phone. He said he had never seen it before. It worked! I was relieved.

They use to scratch their hair and noses and then start grabbing for my Debit Card. I get a disgusted look on my face because I have an animated face and I'm totally readable that way.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Do you regularly eat at places like McD and Subway? Or did you just venture over there to flaunt your techie superiority by stumping a bunch of low wage fast food workers?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you regularly eat at places like McD and Subway? Or did you just venture over there to flaunt your techie superiority by stumping a bunch of low wage fast food workers?

I don't think a iPhone is a display of techie superiority, or superiority at all.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I don't think a iPhone is a display of techie superiority, or superiority at all.

But, trying to use a new feature from a new iPhone model, and then acting all incredulous when the worker doesn't know anything about it certain qualifies.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
But, trying to use a new feature from a new iPhone model, and then acting all incredulous when the worker doesn't know anything about it certain qualifies.

I agree with that. The people who run home and start a thread about these so-called failures are hilarious. I'll venture a guess and say that they have been buying crap for years using a regular old card. Suddenly it is so ****ing inconvenient that they can't believe that a week into a new function of an iPhone more folks aren't on board.

And incredulous, what a wonderful word!

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I went to Subway this weekend and the cashier asked me if I wanted to pay with my phone. He said he had never seen it before. It worked! I was relieved.

They use to scratch their hair and noses and then start grabbing for my Debit Card. I get a disgusted look on my face because I have an animated face and I'm totally readable that way.

I'm surprised that paying via NFC is apparently so baffling. Its been happening for years; people paying with their phones.... it's pretty standard, not like apple actually did anything terrifically monumental.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I'm surprised that paying via NFC is apparently so baffling. Its been happening for years; people paying with their phones.... it's pretty standard, not like apple actually did anything terrifically monumental.

Apparently it happened so infrequently as to be essentially nonexistent based on the conversations I have had with cashiers thus far. Many had no idea that NFC was even a thing until Apple Pay. "Wow, I had no idea we could do that.." sort of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.