Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinktip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
2008 Unibody MacBook 2.0GHz 8GB RAM with 240GB SSD
Will it run Mavericks well?
This thing is a tank. It has really been beat to hell; dented, dropped (multiple times on pavement, down stairs etc) , optical was destroyed, HD replaced with SSD and new battery last year, but it still runs like a dream. Boots fast and never hiccups. Runs Adobe CS5 like nothing.
I keep hearing from friends that their (mostly newer) machines have more OS features than mine, and I am thinking of upgrading, but it would really burn me to mess up a great running machine.
What is the newest version of OS I could safely run and have it remain stable?
Grant
White Rock, BC

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011

This thing is a tank. It has really been beat to hell; dented, dropped (multiple times on pavement, down stairs etc) , optical was destroyed, HD replaced with SSD and new battery last year, but it still runs like a dream. Boots fast and never hiccups. Runs Adobe CS5 like nothing.

I keep hearing from friends that their (mostly newer) machines have more OS features than mine, and I am thinking of upgrading, but it would really burn me to mess up a great running machine.

Grant

White Rock, BC

Mine runs mavericks and yosemite is supported. I dont have the courage to try right now but i guess it will work great if apple didnt put anything in there to slow down old hardware purposefully.

Mavericks is the best os i tried on this laptop.

RITmusic2k

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Anaheim, CA
I'm spec'd out exactly as you are - late 2008 unibody w/8GB ram and SSD (a new addition, actually). I've been on the Yosemite beta all summer back when I still had the original HDD, and it ran without any issue. Only feature I can't use is Continuity because our bluetooth antennas aren't BTLE compatible.

c1phers

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Mavericks is running fine on my MBU Alum (late 2008) It does get a little slow during certain functions, but otherwise it works.

Not sure if I want to try Yosemite.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Mavericks is running fine on my MBU Alum (late 2008) It does get a little slow during certain functions, but otherwise it works.

Not sure if I want to try Yosemite.

You definitely don't want. I installed it on my spare Macbook White (8GB, SSD) and it doesn't show anything interesting for old Macs. Window management is also a bit buggy with the merging of maximize+fullscreen functions.

The user-interface looks a bit lame (GUI elements are bigger and unecessarily flat or non-polished). Yosemite is a major redesign on GUI elements (although usability remains the same) and a minor redesign on internals (except the signed kext drivers, whose measure prevents malwares, but also custom drivers, like TRIM-enabler or custom CUDA packages for old GPUs).

KYUSS123

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
United Kingdom.
Sorry to jump on this post but... I have a late 2008 MacBook MB466 LLA, I thought 4GB of Ram was the maximum supported?
How can I get 8GB in mine?
I currently have 2x2GB of crucial RAM installed.
Thanks

keema

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
Sorry to ask the question here. But, what model of ram do you guys use if it's 8gb? single piece or dual? what mhz?

thanks,
Christian

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Grant
White Rock, BC

It should run fine. I have a 2010 MB Unibody that w/8GB RAM that ran Mavericks pretty well (I'm on Yosemite now, and it runs Yosemite pretty well also).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.