Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmhag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I was just browsing on my iphone using safari and all the sudden i have an incoming call.....from my own contact. I didnt answer because I was taken off guard. First thing I think of is that someone is using one of my other icloud devices to call me. Nobody should be home right now to use those devices though. I checked the recent call log and hit the little "i" to see that it actually came from my telephone number.

Any ideas? First thing that hit me is that maybe my icloud was compromised and it is some kind of scam.

And just for the record I've had my new iphone for about a month now with no issues.

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Ummmmm best I can think of is that the phones do have some glitches from time to time. Maybe siri misheard something, and decided that you had asked to call yourself. That's my best bet.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
My iPhone 5 did the same thing just this morning, i was like wtf? I was just browsing to the podcasts app and it started ringing and showed my own contact as the caller. I didn't pick it up. Seems like a weird malfunction and I wonder if spam callers have figured something new out? I have the newest version of iOS.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
It's probably a telemarketer or a scam. I recently read an article stating that a lot of scammers are spoofing caller ID to match your own number, thinking people will get confused and answer the call to see what's going on instead of just ignoring it if it's an unknown number.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Future you was calling present day you to give you the winning lottery numbers.... You missed out on being a millionaire and now future you is thoroughly pissed because he only had one shot to contact you.:mad:

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Future you was calling present day you to give you the winning lottery numbers.... You missed out on being a millionaire and now future you is thoroughly pissed because he only had one shot to contact you.:mad:

This explains everything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.