Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
What a disaster this phone seems to be. Better wait for the S model if you want to play it safe.

Glad I just bought a 4S, no scratches or bends here and it's the most beautiful phone ever. :)

----------

You must be the expert on the durability of phones.

Since you are stating as a fact that the iPhone 6 "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use" then why would you replace it with the same device that you say "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use"?

Seems very suspicious to me. Almost like the damage was due to negligence and you are trying to get a free replacement.

:rolleyes:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
A holster would def help...just that I'd look ridiculous with it. No offense...I'm too young for that.

I do wish there was a better way than putting it in a pocket. iPhone 6 in pocket while on a rowing machine (no, I don't take it with me when on the water) feels so awkward.

Nope, I know a holster does not suit everyone. I pocketed my phone for many years and found the holster allows me to get to my phone and re holster it with a lot less hassle than the pocket. I know it is not for everyone but it works for me.

When deep sea fishing the phone goes into a heavy zip lock and is put in a safe place as I have seen my iPhone slowly flutter to the bottom of 600 foot water. Does not do any good out there as I am way beyond the reach of cell tower.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
This is just turning into a hate/flaming topic. Apple aren't dying or making junk devices. If some of you are starting to feel that way then jump ship. Apple will survive as I am sure the people having these issues are still in the minority.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
I have a SG iPhone 6. The glass is so scratched at this point; it's littered with scratches.

I use a Spigen case on the back. I put it in my pocket. It has not been mistreated.

For reference, my iPod touch 2nd gen and my iPhone 4s are still flawless. My OnePlus doesn't have these problems with the same treatment...

Should I go replace it? It's not accidental damage at this point...
The gorilla glass 2 screen does not scratch really. U will scratches on the coating

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
What a disaster this phone seems to be. Better wait for the S model if you want to play it safe.

Glad I just bought a 4S, no scratches or bends here and it's the most beautiful phone ever. :)

Meh. In my opinion the 6 series is better looking. It's also faster, has a better camera, has a screen big enough to actually use iOS on, and hasn't (in my experience) had any issues with screen scratching or phone bending.

In other words, anecdote. For every person you find who agrees with your POV I can find at least one who holds the exact opposite opinion.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014

----------

I had a 4s. it was nice, but I really wanted the bigger screen. The scratches don't really bother me as much anymore, I just lay my thumb over the top bezel to hide it, and the light wipes out the scratch in the middle

----------

Nope, I know a holster does not suit everyone. I pocketed my phone for many years and found the holster allows me to get to my phone and re holster it with a lot less hassle than the pocket. I know it is not for everyone but it works for me.

When deep sea fishing the phone goes into a heavy zip lock and is put in a safe place as I have seen my iPhone slowly flutter to the bottom of 600 foot water. Does not do any good out there as I am way beyond the reach of cell tower.

Yeah, same here, no point in taking a phone out on the water when I'm preoccupied with rowing.

----------

This is just turning into a hate/flaming topic. Apple aren't dying or making junk devices. If some of you are starting to feel that way then jump ship. Apple will survive as I am sure the people having these issues are still in the minority.

I'm not saying Apple's making junk devices. I love my 6, it's just the oleophobic coating that has problems. As for jumping ship, I've already gotten a OnePlus One...which is more impossible to use due to way-too-big size.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
My last iPhone 6 had a scratch on the screen very quickly, and I similarly babied the phone. No idea how it happened.

That was my fourth replacement iPhone 6. It also started shutting down randomly and crashing this week. Apple store just replaced it, and I got my fifth iPhone 6 home only to notice a black speck of dust under the glass.

Just made an appointment to get my sixth iPhone 6. Six times the charm?

Do you have AppleCare??

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I presume you jest? :p

The coating takes a couple,of years to wear off. Unless you are polishing the screen 24/7.

No jest. Both I and a friend got a 6 at the same time. His lives in his pocket and mine in a holster. We both compared our phone yesterday under very bright light. We both use only microfiber cloths for cleaning, no chemicals.

His was full of those tiny little micro scratches and mind had almost none. The only difference we could find was his phone stays in his pocket and mine in a holster.

You tell me as I can find no other difference. If the coating does wear as you say, why would it not wear off in a pocket quicker?

No trying to start anything, just indicating a possible reason. You would in effect be polishing your screen all the time it was in your pocket.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

No. It is important to bring ALL of these horrid issues to light, BRIGHT light, to SHOW APPLE THAT WE DO NOTICE, and put them on notice that this BS will not be tolerated. This is giving them the chance to fix this BS, and sooner rather than later. The 6s design is already done, it's time for them to make sure it is of better materials, and release it ASAP. A lot of us are tiring of waiting around for next October.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
No jest. Both I and a friend got a 6 at the same time. His lives in his pocket and mine in a holster. We both compared our phone yesterday under very bright light. We both use only microfiber cloths for cleaning, no chemicals.

His was full of those tiny little micro scratches and mind had almost none. The only difference we could find was his phone stays in his pocket and mine in a holster.

You tell me as I can find no other difference. If the coating does wear as you say, why would it not wear off in a pocket quicker?

No trying to start anything, just indicating a possible reason. You would in effect be polishing your screen all the time it was in your pocket.

Never had this problem with my 4 year old 4s. Not a scratch of any kind, screen is perfect. I'm not happy about this.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Maybe some laundry detergents have an abrasive in them, left behind as residue? Kind of like polishing compound for cars has a fine ground sand powder in it? I don't know I'm just speculating.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Guess I've been fortunate that my screen doesn't have any scratches on it yet. I've even tempted fate when I put the phone in my front shirt pocket where the screen can occasionally brush/tap against a shirt pocket button or snap.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I will have to say, that I have always kept my phones in a pocket by themselves, treated them the same, never used a screen protector and it does seem like the 6 is showing the micro scratches much sooner and more of them than any of the iPhones I have had prior to now. Nothing visible in daily use yet, but on an angle in bright light and holy crap! Compared to the 5 that I just stopped using, I would say there are as many micro scratches on the 6 already as the 5 had at the end.

Hec983

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
Mine had a scratch out of the box!!!! I'm currently waiting for my Apple Store to get one in stock so that I can swap it.

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
I don't find it to be nitpicking at all honestly. I just see it as people who spend their money want something that holds up and works. It's not asking too much of Apple to make a device that supports their claims is it?

You don't want to spend all of that money on a phone and then you have to basically carry it around in the Ark of the Covenant to keep it safe.

I had purchased the 6 before I got the 6+ and part of the reason of me even going into the Apple store on the day that I made the switch was because I wanted to know why the 6's screen scratched so damn easily.

That's frustrating to have scratches and blemishes all over you phone especially when all you've done is have it in your pocket...or even worse...a case.

With that said, the first thing I got when I got the 6+ was a sturdy screen protector and the Tech21 case. I'm happy with it now.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I would also be very upset if my phone had a bunch of scratches on it, but my Plus has literally zero scratches, even if you hold it up to the light and look closely. This is without a case and just carried in my pocket (like I've carried every other iPhone). Clearly there must be some factor that's causing some people's phones to scratch.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I have a SG iPhone 6. The glass is so scratched at this point; it's littered with scratches.

I use a Spigen case on the back. I put it in my pocket. It has not been mistreated.

For reference, my iPod touch 2nd gen and my iPhone 4s are still flawless. My OnePlus doesn't have these problems with the same treatment...

Should I go replace it? It's not accidental damage at this point...

You have sand in your pocket. Doesn't take much, just a few grains will scratch the hell out of any screen.

----------

Odd. Mine isn't scratching. I saw someone on YouTube run a key along the screen and it didn't noticeably scratch. Maybe bad luck or having too much in the pocket or something? One of the biggest selling points of Apple products has always been the build quality.

Just having an iPhone 6 for a week this would almost scare me a little except for knowing it's been perfect thus far.

Key is softer than glass. Sand is equal to or harder depending on the type of mineral the sand is made of.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The 6 is definitely not as durable as the 4 or 5 that I used before. After 1 month of the 6, this screen is more damaged than 4 years between the older devices. I'm really disappointed in it actually, and my usage has not changed one bit.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
This has me wondering if I should get a screen protector. I don't particularly like them, though. Scratches after just a couple of weeks is horrible!

thebrowncoat

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Always keep mine in a pocket by itself, never use a screen protector - and I'm seeing noticeable scratches in a couple places on the screen already.

I blame myself though - I can get pretty obsessive about cleaning off fingerprints and all it takes is one grain of abrasive dust or grit while you're rubbing at it with the microfiber cloth...pretty sure that's the cause.

Zilog80

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
I've just had my the screen on my iPhone 6 scratched by a pooch during Christmas dinner. The phone was in my jeans pocket and the pooch just wanted a piece of turkey and started pouncing on me.

The scratch is deep enough to be felt by a fingernail. That and some other minor Scruff like ones.

I've owned the iPhone 3, 3GS and 4. NONE have ever had a scratch even without a screen protector and reasonably heavy use. The 6 was scratched by a dog's paw/claws through my jeans. Jeans are intact. Not torn. Think about it. Dogs now have Diamond claws perhaps?

And for the record, yes I have an SG model too.

I just got a tempered glass screen protector. First time in 5 years. FML

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Got one TINY little scratch thing on my phone but I can only see it in direct light and if I really look for it. My friend put it in his pocket and I think it scraped the metal buttons on the jeans.

Only on a black screen or while the phones off too. But I'm still really annoyed. Shouldn't have let people touch it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.