Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Actually, I kinda agree with OP but not too low. I've had TMo and have Verizon now since iPhone6 release.

I find VoLTE/Non-VoLTE call volume on TMo a bit lower than their HD Voice on HSPA. But of course, VoLTE is much better and clearer.

With Verizon, when calling a non-VoLTE capable device, it is a bit lower too compared to TMo HD Voice on HSPA, but much clearer than CDMA calls. VoLTE HD Calls on Verizon are comparable to TMo VoLTE HD calls, but better than to TMo HSPA HD calls.

These observations are both with the phone earpiece and the headset.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
This discussion is very interesting as first I believed it was just my phone and now with the recent posts in this topic it may be a minor defect from some phones. I hope an update does fix it. Do your iPhone 6's do it all the time is it intermittent?

So now I wonder if an update will fix this or is an exchange issue?

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Too low. I have volume all the way up with the phone pressed tightly to my ear and have to be careful to keep the phone properly positioned.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Yep! Me too. The volume on my 6 Plus earpiece is definitely not as loud as the 5S. If I move the phone around on my ear, it gets better but it still seems like it should be louder.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
My 6+, even on max, is definitely lower than my 5. Hopefully, a update can fix it. How did Apple not test this is beyond me.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I thought I was the only one. I just went from the 6 to 6 Plus and I can barely hear anyone talking to me. I hope this is addressed in 8.1

My 6 seemed totally fine.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I have some hearing issues in my phone (right side) ear and have been unhappy with earpiece speaker loudness for freaking years...but I've been very impressed with my iPhone 6's volume. No problem hearing incoming calls at all. Could it be louder...yes, of course but it's pretty good as it is.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Been debating plus or 4.7. Now leaning to 4.7. I tried one in store with a sim card and had no vol issues. I did find a vol setting in maps to crank it up and worked well. not sure if that choice is in any other apps. speaker phone was good to. :)

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Been debating plus or 4.7. Now leaning to 4.7. I tried one in store with a sim card and had no vol issues. I did find a vol setting in maps to crank it up and worked well. not sure if that choice is in any other apps. speaker phone was good to. :)

Speaker phone is excellent. The ear piece volume is the draw back here. I haven't tested the 5.5 inch as I own the 4.7 inch.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I think it's too low as well. I want max to be painful for a normal conversation, that way I know I can always make it louder if needed. I have to keep it on max almost all the time. And no, I'm not going deaf. :p

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I meant to say with sim card in phone I made a call and earpiece volume was good also

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Couldn't Apple release a software update for the earpiece issue?

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I have 3 6+ and they have all had low volume, and other people agreed with me. They were replaced for various reasons if anyone is wondering.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
This is my biggest gripe with my 6 Plus. Definitely lower earpiece volume than my 5. The 5 would hurt my ears if I turned it all the way up. With the 6 Plus I have to keep it at max volume and still have problems hearing at times. In most situations it is bearable, but in noisy environments it becomes a real problem.

I have gotten accustomed to consciously pressing the phone hard against my face and making sure it is in the correct position. It is a real letdown.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Has anyone replaced an iPhone and gotten a new one or refurb with better earpiece quality?

PaythePiper

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
It seems to be loud enough at full volume, but I'd expect it to be louder at that level. Hopefully they address this like they addressed the speaker on the bottom, because that's finally bad ass.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Kinda relieved that I'm not the only one who thought the 6's earpiece volume was too quiet. I compared by 6 and 5 side by side and the 6 is DEFINITELY quieter. Turning the volume up all the way makes it bearable, but it's still not as loud as I think it should be. Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

daftpunk329

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Chiming here for the first time in a long time, as I also experienced low earpiece volume when I first took delivery of my 6+.

In my case, it turned out that because I was holding the phone against my ear in the same manner that I did my 5S (where my ear is completely covered by the top of the phone), the call volume was seemingly "lower than usual". Definitely lower than what I had experienced with my previous phones. I found that holding the phone to my ear where the top part of my ear SITS ABOVE the top of the phone improved call volume dramatically. Now that I have used this technique, I no longer have issues with call volume. It appears that in this position the earpiece is right in line with my ear canal without obstruction.

Please give it a shot, and sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Cheers! ;)

Bocatrip

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
Chiming here for the first time in a long time, as I also experienced low earpiece volume when I first took delivery of my 6+.

In my case, it turned out that because I was holding the phone against my ear in the same manner that I did my 5S (where my ear is completely covered by the top of the phone), the call volume was seemingly "lower than usual". Definitely lower than what I had experienced with my previous phones. I found that holding the phone to my ear where the top part of my ear SITS ABOVE the top of the phone improved call volume dramatically. Now that I have used this technique, I no longer have issues with call volume. It appears that in this position the earpiece is right in line with my ear canal without obstruction.

Please give it a shot, and sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Cheers! ;)

My ear speaker volume was way too low from day one as well as after the latest update 8.1. I wanted to bring my phone in to Apple but it's a Zoo there. In addition, I get people on the phone telling me that they can't hear me that clearly either on their end. With regards to holding the phone in the right position.......if the volume was loud enough to begin with, you should not even have to hold it on top of your ear......if anything the volume should be lowered a couple of notches. Not acceptable, and it's a common occurrence.

Sacha2304

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
I turned hearing aid mode on for my phone and it allowed me to turn the in call volume up a few notches. It also turned off noise cancellation which I can't stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.