Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
NOTE: Profanity in the video below. Mods, if inappropriate, feel free to change to a link.

I Found this on NPR this morning, and as I have the book and audio book (it's brilliant; narrated by Samuel L. Jackson), I quipped in the What Are you Reading? thread who could read this book and make it sound funnier or even more out of left field, like Orson Wells, Richard Pryor, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, etc...

I didn't think that LeVar Burton would be the guy, but he does a bloody good job of it. It's a charity even for the Children's Miracle Network, and his daughter is in the crowd. Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way.../levar-burton-reads-go-the-expletive-to-sleep

LeVar Burton Reads 'Go The [Expletive] To Sleep'
by Bill Chappell
October 26, 2014 5:09 PM ET

In case any over-exhausted parents might wonder if they're hallucinating, we can assure you: Former Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton did actually give a reading of the 2011 best-seller Go the [bleep] to Sleep this weekend.

A video of the reading has been viewed nearly 250,000 times since it was posted Saturday. Burton read the book to a small audience (of adults, naturally) as part of a charity event for Children's Miracle Network hospitals.

In case it's not obvious, we'll warn you that the reading includes profanity. Here it is.

The book was famously inspired by a night when Adam Mansbach was struggling to put his daughter down for the night, leading him to joke on Facebook, "Look out for my forthcoming children's book, Go the [famous four-letter expletive] to Sleep," as NPR's Eyder Peralta wrote in 2011.

"The response was so great that Mansbach got to work, and before long he had an exquisitely profane bedtime story that has really struck a nerve," Eyder wrote.

The charity event was put together by Rooster Teeth, which says it raised a total of $442,389.

In an exchange of tweets today, Mansbach congratulated Burton on the reading — and Burton promised to send the author a copy of his own children's book, The Rhino Who Swallowed a Storm. In return, Mansbach said he would send Burton his upcoming sequel, You Have to [bleeping] Eat.

We first spotted the story on the Kotaku website, where Mike Fahey wrote of the 2011 book, "Having had our twins in June of 2011, we own about 20 copies, including the audiobook version as read by Samuel L. Jackson."

While Burton's talents as an actor and PBS TV host are well recognized, we'll note that the relish with which he delivers some of the book's lines might suggest that he drew on personal experience for the reading. But we're sure it's only a coincidence that his college-age daughter, Mica Burton, was at Saturday's event.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
A side note: Mansbach's followup book, You Have To ******* Eat, just dropped today. On my way to the bookstore to pick that one up. My wife and I are going through that phase as well as GTFTS.

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
NOTE: Profanity in the video below. Mods, if inappropriate, feel free to change to a link.

I Found this on NPR this morning, and as I have the book and audio book (it's brilliant; narrated by Samuel L. Jackson), I quipped in the What Are you Reading? thread who could read this book and make it sound funnier or even more out of left field, like Orson Wells, Richard Pryor, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, etc...

I didn't think that LeVar Burton would be the guy, but he does a bloody good job of it. It's a charity even for the Children's Miracle Network, and his daughter is in the crowd. Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way.../levar-burton-reads-go-the-expletive-to-sleep

YouTube: video

Thanks for posting this. Great listening, and very, very funny.

Actually, I read the book when it first came out (and have listened to the Samuel L Jackson recording); very clever, true to life, and very, very funny.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Man, Picard isn't going to be happy that this kid is still running around.

I'd love for Stewart to narrate You Have To ******* Eat. That would be just hilarious.

And back to Samuel L. Jackson.. I can see him in the blooper reel for the next Avengers movie reading this to the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, and the Black Widow during a break on the set, with them all being in costume.

I can just picture that.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.