Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I initially ran out to Best Buy and bought the Speck Candyshell Grip when it came out. Since Speck, like many, designed it based on rumored\leaked specs, it wasn't perfect. The cases were easy to distinguish because they were labeled "iPhone 2014 4.7-Inch" on the front.

Like in previous models, Speck has gotten their hands on the phone, and tweaked the design, and those new cases are on their site and in some stores, and now are properly titled "iPhone 6" ...

I have a couple questions for those who have purchased the new updated version labeled "iPhone 6" (do not reply if you have the one labeled "2014 iPhone 4.7-Inch" because I already have that one:

- Did they resolve the issue with the ring around the edges? In the initial release, it was thick all the way around the edges, unlike previous models where the black band around the screen was only thick around the corners, giving the phone a more slim feel.

- Did they improve the accuracy of the cutouts?

- Do they still bow out in the back adding a little thickness to the phone?

- Any other comments?

Please only reply if you've gotten the new one in the last week with the "iPhone 6" sticker on the front of the package, NOT the "2014 iPhone 4.7-Inch" sticker.

Thanks!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I returned my Candyshell grip today and I did not see any new iPhone 6 cases in BestBuy. However I plan a trip to Microcenter tomorrow and will see if they have newer stock.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
S
Like in previous models, Speck has gotten their hands on the phone, and tweaked the design, and those new cases are on their site and in some stores, and now are properly titled "iPhone 6" ...

Where do you see on their site that they improved/changed the design? I've been to a few stores and they all say New iPhone and not iPhone 6

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Where do you see on their site that they improved/changed the design? I've been to a few stores and they all say New iPhone and not iPhone 6

Stores (target, Amazon, best buy) now have the ones that say iphone 6

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Update

Went to Microcenter today with my "2014 iPhone 4.7-Inch" candy shell grip. I spent 15 minutes trying to see any difference between mine and the one they had marked as "iPhone 6". I could not see anything different, except for the labeling on the package.

I suspect they changed the packaging to match the iPhone 6 name but nothing in manufacturing. They also had the standard candy shell cases also marked as iPhone 6. I picked up the pomodoro/black one and I love it. Looks great on my silver/white IP6 w/glass screen protector.

I was hoping the slight bulge in the back that causes spinning was fixed but I found one with the least amount and its fine. I don't expect Speck to change anything except for making more colors available across their line of cases.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Went to Microcenter today with my "2014 iPhone 4.7-Inch" candy shell grip. I spent 15 minutes trying to see any difference between mine and the one they had marked as "iPhone 6". I could not see anything different, except for the labeling on the package.

I suspect they changed the packaging to match the iPhone 6 name but nothing in manufacturing. They also had the standard candy shell cases also marked as iPhone 6. I picked up the pomodoro/black one and I love it. Looks great on my silver/white IP6 w/glass screen protector.

I was hoping the slight bulge in the back that causes spinning was fixed but I found one with the least amount and its fine. I don't expect Speck to change anything except for making more colors available across their line of cases.

They'll improve it. They've done it every year with every release. I just hope they thin out those edges. They're ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.