Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Just got Spec Ops: The Line and Dead Space 2. I've still yet to complete Dead Space 1, but at least I'm getting 'em cheap.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
System Shock 2 is back on sale $4.99. And it runs Mac native! :D

Well, it's a wine port, but it's so old it doesn't matter.

It goes to 2.49 frequently. It hit that price the other day in a flash sale.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Did you play this recently? I'm considering buying it but wonder if it will hold it's appeal or seem overly dated?

Everyone has different tolerances for that sort of thing. For me it's fine. I play with a HD textures pack to make things non-fuzzy, but some things definitely seem antiquated, like melee combat. I'd watch a few gameplay youtube videos first.

If a more complex/difficult Bioshock in a science fiction setting sounds appealing to you, I'd say get it. Both the gameplay and story are much better than Bioshock's.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Did you play this recently? I'm considering buying it but wonder if it will hold it's appeal or seem overly dated?

Personally, I think it is a fantastic game. Even today it manages to make me jump. Be careful where you place you skill points.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Far Cry 3 is $7.49 or $9.99 deluxe edition

Stand alone game Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is $5.09

PayDay the Heist is $1.99 (L4D styled game except you are fighting the law)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well, Washac is on a crusade against DRM'd software.

Must get lonely sometimes. ;)

Back on the happy topic of great deals on Steam, I got the following so far:

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Bioshock Infinite
Don't Starve
Fester Mudd:Curse of the Gold - Episode 1
Gone Home
Shadowrun Returns
Space Hulk
Super Meat Boy

and all are for OS X. It's the only way to fly. Well, for me anyway.

Also for OS X, Omerta: City of Gangsters and Metro Last Light are ones I plan to get before the sale is over.

On the last day after daily deals and flash sales end, I'll review the wish list and get more stuff while it is cheap, cheap! As with last year, the Autumn Sale is so good for me I plan to skip the Winter sale. I buy too many games as it is.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
As the sale goes on, it would be a good idea to check Amazon's digital download deals as well. Steam had Saints Row IV up for $19.99 a couple days ago, but Amazon had it for $14.99 the same day.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Bioshock Inifnite: rMBP vs PS3

Just a quick question for anyone who's tried both the PS3 and OSX versions of Bioshock Inifite: is there a huge dip in graphics/performance on high-end rMBP vs the PS3 version?

Looking at picking up one version or the other since they're both on sale...

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Just a quick question for anyone who's tried both the PS3 and OSX versions of Bioshock Inifite: is there a huge dip in graphics/performance on high-end rMBP vs the PS3 version?

Looking at picking up one version or the other since they're both on sale...

I play Bioshock Infinite on the 17" 2010 Macbook Pro and it runs on a steady 30 fps, mid-high settings under Mavericks. It's a very well ported game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Bought Dishonored, Skyrim and Far Cry 3.

Far Cry 3 runs reasonably well on my 08 Mac Pro at ultra settings. I probably won't be playing the others until next year though.

I was originally considering putting together a gaming PC but I don't think I will bother for now. Keeping some emergency funds though in-case my Mac Pro kicks the bucket.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
This thread is too far off topic at this point - closing.

Reopened after clean up

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Steam Halloween Sale

Steam Halloween Sale- this week/end, don't miss it!!

Vampire The Masquerde: Bloodline: (PC) $4.99

Vampire_-_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines_Coverart.png

Left 4 Dead 2
(Mac/PC): $4.99

left4dead2.jpg

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Just picked up Vampire... heard it was some sort of cult classic that had to be played at least once in your lifetime. Was tempted by Watch Dogs, but I'll wait until its even cheaper since the PC port will be no doubt as bad as the rest of Ubisoft's attempts.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'm not buying anything.

There may be hope for me yet! :D

I need to catch up on what I own before spending yet more money and then there is World of Warcraft...

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Was tempted by Watch Dogs, but I'll wait until its even cheaper since the PC port will be no doubt as bad as the rest of Ubisoft's attempts.

It's my understanding that Watch Dogs runs terribly, even with a PC that meets the minimums. I really want to try it, but my Radeon 6770M will probably choke, even on low settings. Apparently you need at least a 2 GB GPU to get things even remotely playable. As such, I'll probably end up getting this for the PS3 at some point down the road.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Why did someone necro this thread? I got all excited that there was a new steam sale, and it's talking about a sale that happened a year ago. Didn't realize it until I saw that I had commented, then looked at the date.

Start new threads with these sales, dangit!

Edit:
Oh, that was you, @Huntn? Didn't recognize your new avatar. Should have known, I know you've got a thing for that Masquerade game, maybe I'll give it a try and see for myself. Take care. :)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Interested in picking up:
  • System Shock 2 (never got to play it)
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (never finished it when it originally was released) -- I have a signed novel from the author :)
  • Shadowgate

----------

Wound up picking up all 3. I noticed the prices and figure they're too cheap to pass up. Friend of mine growing up had Shadowgate on the NES and we used to stay up late trying to get further. Looking forward to knocking this one out after recently finishing up Legend of Grimrock 2 months ago.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Just picked up Vampire... heard it was some sort of cult classic that had to be played at least once in your lifetime. Was tempted by Watch Dogs, but I'll wait until its even cheaper since the PC port will be no doubt as bad as the rest of Ubisoft's attempts.

It's a great game, but hopefully they fixed the bugs. I picked it up several years back on Steam, IIRC, and it wouldn't work launched straight from Steam without some work arounds.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
VI™;20264525 said:
It's a great game, but hopefully they fixed the bugs. I picked it up several years back on Steam, IIRC, and it wouldn't work launched straight from Steam without some work arounds.

There's an unofficial community-made patch that supposedly fixes most, if not all, the major bugs, allowing the game to be played properly.

Here is the site that hosts the patch.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
VI™;20264525 said:

Check Part 7 of the Windows Gaming on a Mac Guide. It's PC if you run it on bootcamp. And reportedly there is a Mac Cider version of the game, but I've not tried that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.