Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I have a 2012 Mac Mini hooked up via HDMI to my receiver and then my 52" Samsung LCD. Everything is working great except when I return to the computer after it has been sleeping a couple hours or more, my windows are resized and Mission Control is glitched.

For example, once I wake from sleep, my Finder window is the same size horizontally, but it has shrunken vertically to a very narrow field of view. Likewise, my Chrome window is the same across but it is no longer sized all the way down to the dock like I had it before it slept.

More annoyingly, if I do the 3-finger swipe up to see my desktops in Mission Control, it is glitched. Not sure how to explain it, but my wallpaper is small and most of the desktops I have in separate windows do not show up. I can go to the terminal and type "killall -kill dock" and that will restart the dock and mission control. Then it works fine again.

Anyone know what is going on and why it only does it after waking from sleep? I wasn't sure if this is a generic OSX question or if it had something to do specifically with the Mini or my connection via HDMI.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
Wondering if there was any resolution on this?

I have the same issue. Late 2012 Mac mini, with 27" LG 27EA82 monitor via DisplayPort. When monitor goes to sleep (NOT the mini!) and when I wake the monitor, the size of some windows shrink.

Eg, Safari, Xcode documents, Preview documents, their height gets significantly reduced. As such I have to start adjusting the windows' sizes again. Plain annoying.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
I have to resurrect this thread because I have the same issue.

However, I did NOT have this issue in Snow Leopard, but I just updated to Mavericks and now my windows are shrunk to the extreme every I wake the monitor and stuck beneath the Apple menu as well.

The only thing to do after this happens is to CMD-Q all apps and restart them (but not all get back to normal this way, but at least it lets you resize them again).

Weird how the issue apparently exists between OS versions...

jayden

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Another post resurrection. I've got the same issue with Yosemete! Computer wakes and all my windows are < 1/4 the size of the screen :\

ironman78

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Just use the application cafeine... Works great!
It's available in the Mac Appstore (Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers)

joeyfrigo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
I couldn't find a fix... so I bought the Stay app - check it out https://cordlessdog.com/stay/
thanks thats the one that worked, what a crock with these dell monitors. switchresx would not work at all but stay worked and it was way easier to config, did a reboot a screensaver wake up a power off monitors and stay put all my windows back where they belong.

joeyfrigo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Just use the application cafeine... Works great!
It's available in the Mac Appstore (Caffeine is a tiny program that puts an icon in the right side of your menu bar. Click it to prevent your Mac from automatically going to sleep, dimming the screen or starting screen savers)
well caffeine doesn't prevent the dell monitors them selves from going into power saver mode which is none adjustable! so stupid, and when they did that all windows would resize and get moved because i think somehow the res would get switched down to 1080.

Reactions: ironman78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.