Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I personally think my setup is the best solution for movie management and can use dnla or airplay but content browsing is restricted to ios devices.

I have an ATV3 a synology nas and ipad/iPhone. No paid apps or jailbreaks or laptops needed.

I use the DS download app to manage torrents, they can be opened from safari while browsing so no laptop needed. Obviously legit above board.

DS video app is the content management system, it auto finds covers, info ratings, resume position etc and you can airplay from the app, the nas itself can convert any non airplay content or you can play from dnla on almost any tv too. You can offline download for playback offline but amazingly you can play the files over the internet at other locations with good connections and smaller files even work over 3G especially if encoded for mobile which us an option in the nas too.

It avoids any need for a laptop. It's not cheap but also enables lots of other options. It can make any printer an air printer and let's you have Dropbox like service on your devices tomsync everything together. I like plex but the need for dedicated hardware is a pain and doesn't do any of the downloading parts of the equation or storage.

Peace.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
That's great DS works well for you. DS is just an operating system forked from BSD instead of Linux (which originally comes from BSD, as all unix does).
I guess they have better programers than some of the other NAS companies (I have QNAP and the OS is great, but the iOS app sucks).

Although, at the time I bought the QNAP Synology did not even support FLAC or gapless playback. So it was a no go for me. I still mainly use Squeezebox Server or Twonky with my SBTouches or RasperyPi's with hifi DAC's. I am just interested in making my ATV2 a little more useful.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Just wanted to chime in and say I set up plexconnect on my ATV3 tonight. The setup instructions at this site (https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide ) were super-easy to follow.
Plex is up and running.

I have a decent amount of experience running XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2. While that worked ok, it ended up being a pain to keep up with new firmware versions, and recently something else "broke" that made it impossible for me to stream the daily show. I had spent a little time looking around on internet forums and found a potential solution but it would require me to copy some python code over to my ATV 2 and . .. blah blah blah. XBMC on a jailbroken ATV2 worked ok in its era. But I can tell you that Plex on the ATV3 beats it.

My only purpose was to enable watching the Daily Show and Conan on my ATV3 without having to Airplay. This solves that problem, and does it in a way that is more wife-friendly than XBMC. The interface is clean and looks like the rest of the Apple TV interface. Sure, it requires something running on my mac (both Plex Media Server and PlexConnect), while the XBMC solution did not, but I don't care. I already keep my Mac running 24/7 for EyeTV and iTunes service, so why not run Plex on it as well.

The moment I saw I could watch the Daily Show on this, I decided: it's finally time for me to sell my last ATV2.

Only thing holding me back now is the tingling sensation that an ATV4 might be announced soon . . .

Anyway. Spend the < 30 minutes and set this up. All it takes is downloading some Plex programs, entering some terminal commands on your mac and entering some numbers on your Apple TV. No micro-USB cables, no moving your Apple TV, not even any re-starting of anything.

Old-T

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
Image quality ATV2-XBMC vs ATV3-PlexConnect

Just wanted to chime in and say I set up plexconnect on my ATV3 tonight. The setup instructions at this site (https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide ) were super-easy to follow.
Plex is up and running.

I have a decent amount of experience running XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2. While that worked ok, it ended up being a pain to keep up with new firmware versions, and recently something else "broke" that made it impossible for me to stream the daily show. I had spent a little time looking around on internet forums and found a potential solution but it would require me to copy some python code over to my ATV 2 and . .. blah blah blah. XBMC on a jailbroken ATV2 worked ok in its era. But I can tell you that Plex on the ATV3 beats it.

My only purpose was to enable watching the Daily Show and Conan on my ATV3 without having to Airplay. This solves that problem, and does it in a way that is more wife-friendly than XBMC. The interface is clean and looks like the rest of the Apple TV interface. Sure, it requires something running on my mac (both Plex Media Server and PlexConnect), while the XBMC solution did not, but I don't care. I already keep my Mac running 24/7 for EyeTV and iTunes service, so why not run Plex on it as well.

The moment I saw I could watch the Daily Show on this, I decided: it's finally time for me to sell my last ATV2.

Only thing holding me back now is the tingling sensation that an ATV4 might be announced soon . . .

Anyway. Spend the < 30 minutes and set this up. All it takes is downloading some Plex programs, entering some terminal commands on your mac and entering some numbers on your Apple TV. No micro-USB cables, no moving your Apple TV, not even any re-starting of anything.

Hi,
I've run XBMC on my ATV2 a couple of years now.
On one TV I have an Android Media Player with a Quad Core processor running Plex . On the same TV I have my old ATV2. When I compare the image quality between the ATV and the Android, the ATV with XBMC is much better.

Have you made any comparisons between the ATV2-XBMC and the ATV3-PlexConnect?

// Tommy

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I spent half-an-hour the other weekend installing Plex Connect to work with my 3rd Gen Apple TV with half a mind it may eventually replace my WD TV Live - which is running custom firmware and includes movie sheets for a nicer UI. HOWEVER the biggest drawback for me was that the Apple TV hardware itself doesn't support native frame rate - not uncommon on comparable streamers but still a major downside for me.

Don't get me wrong, Plex is great - I have it working on my Roku 3 and Amazon Fire TV on Bedroom TV's where I'm not so fussed about native frame rates and and Plex Connect is a great work around for the Apple TV. However I'm still impressed that my 4-5 year old WDTV live outputs the native frame rate , plays back most video file formats I throw at it with no need for on the fly transcoding and passes through DTS / Dolby Digital also without the need for transcoding. For my main TV it still is the best little box and really has proved itself - the only improvement is if it could pass through HD Audio rather than the Core audio (any cost effective suggestions for a box that can do that welcome)

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Is there anyway to get the PlexConnect working from a NAS (Qnap)? Would like to refrain from having a PC running just to hijack the Trailers app. Is this possible?

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
I had PlexConnect working on my ATV3 for a while over a year ago, then the https update broke it, I went through the steps to fix that afterwards but it just didn't work, so I gave up.

Now a year or so later, I have a Chromecast (as well as the ATV still) and I bought the Plex app for my 4th gen iPod Touch. I just used PMS on my PC and would use Plex on the iPod to shoot it to the Chromecast. But a couple weeks ago I noticed that I could cast or airplay from the Plex app on the iPod. So now, why would you even need to use PlexConnect? To save a few bucks on the Plex app? Not worth the hassle for me afaik.

KarlDag

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
I had PlexConnect working on my ATV3 for a while over a year ago, then the https update broke it, I went through the steps to fix that afterwards but it just didn't work, so I gave up.

Now a year or so later, I have a Chromecast (as well as the ATV still) and I bought the Plex app for my 4th gen iPod Touch. I just used PMS on my PC and would use Plex on the iPod to shoot it to the Chromecast. But a couple weeks ago I noticed that I could cast or airplay from the Plex app on the iPod. So now, why would you even need to use PlexConnect? To save a few bucks on the Plex app? Not worth the hassle for me afaik.
Not everyone has an iPod or iPhone.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But a couple weeks ago I noticed that I could cast or airplay from the Plex app on the iPod. So now, why would you even need to use PlexConnect? To save a few bucks on the Plex app?
No, to keep from having your iDevice tied up playing a video when you have other things you could be doing with them. Also saves on battery life.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Is there anyway to get the PlexConnect working from a NAS (Qnap)? Would like to refrain from having a PC running just to hijack the Trailers app. Is this possible?

I have tried three times to get this setup on my QNAP 419II+ and still can't get it to work. The setup. I can get the plexmedia server running, but the plexconnect keeps crashing on the install. Python is installed and running; PlexMedia server is running, and I have tried several fixes that others have posted about at different forums, but still no success.

It may have to do with with firmware I am running, but I am not going to update the QNAP because it has been super stable for several years with no crashes (knock on wood) and all of that while running WD Green drives that are not supposed to work with the QNAP (I received four 2tb drives free from a buddy).

fouldsc

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
I used Plexconnect with ATV for a long time, but never found it that amazing.
I picked up an Amazon Fire TV, installed the Plex app and on it and OMG it is amazing compared to old setup - so good I have bought another.
On that I rooted it, installed XBMC on it and now just hang off a 3TB network drive off the USB.
I add programs over the network and when it does playback it's over the USB and top quality.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
PlexConnect is amazing for my home. I have it setup at my home in 3 separate rooms and it works amazing! iTunes doesn't work as good as this! I deft. recommend it. You don't loose anything and the quality is amazing if you have 1080p movies with DTS

Lossless 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio?

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Would love to switch my ATV to Amazon Fire TV for using Plex, but currently the Amazon Fire doesn't support 5.1 audio via Plex. Apparently a bug with the android OS.

What's everyone's opinion on the best Plex experience/UI for a set top box? So far the ATV seems best. Roku 3 works good, but UI is terrible.

KarlDag

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
Would love to switch my ATV to Amazon Fire TV for using Plex, but currently the Amazon Fire doesn't support 5.1 audio via Plex. Apparently a bug with the android OS.

What's everyone's opinion on the best Plex experience/UI for a set top box? So far the ATV seems best. Roku 3 works good, but UI is terrible.
I'm waiting on AndroidTV... Nexus player is coming very soon, but I might wait for another box with ethernet and more storage for apps.

Otherwise as far as I'm concerned they're all in a pretty level playing field.

Roku has a bad UI compared to others, Plex Connect works on my ATV 3 but slightly unreliable (probably servers fault) and kind of slow. Plus whenever I try to update it I run into issues that take a while to iron out... Chromecast works well but unreliable Wi-Fi connection and requires another device to start the shows and movies... DLNA remains an incomplete solution....

If you have the money, a HTPC is the way to go. I run my PMS on a mac mini that I also use for Plex Home Theatre, that is flawless. Is for my other tvs that the choice is hard right now.

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
No, to keep from having your iDevice tied up playing a video when you have other things you could be doing with them. Also saves on battery life.
afaik Plex doesn't do anything after it gets the connection set up, if you leave your device alone, then come back to it it has to "reconnect" to see how far along in the video you are before you can stop or pause it. It doesn't tie up your device either, you can do whatever else you want with it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
afaik Plex doesn't do anything after it gets the connection set up, if you leave your device alone, then come back to it it has to "reconnect" to see how far along in the video you are before you can stop or pause it. It doesn't tie up your device either, you can do whatever else you want with it.
Not true. If you start playing a movie on Plex on an iOS device, as soon as you tap your Home button to move to another app, the movie stops. You can't do other things with your iDevice while playing a movie in Plex.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Not true. If you start playing a movie on Plex on an iOS device, as soon as you tap your Home button to move to another app, the movie stops. You can't do other things with your iDevice while playing a movie in Plex.

On my iPad2 with IOS7 I can start a movie and then surf the web.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
On my iPad2 with IOS7 I can start a movie and then surf the web.
So the movie is playing on your iPad and streamed via AirPlay to the Apple TV? On my iPhone and iPad mini, if I start a Plex movie on those devices (running iOS 7), as soon as I go to Home or another app, the movie stops and the ATV displays whatever else is on my screen.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
So the movie is playing on your iPad and streamed via AirPlay to the Apple TV? On my iPhone and iPad mini, if I start a Plex movie on those devices (running iOS 7), as soon as I go to Home or another app, the movie stops and the ATV displays whatever else is on my screen.

When I first installed Plex I had to stay on the application to play it on my ATV. But either an IOS or Plex app changed that. I can start a movie and play Solitaire on my iPad at the same time.

fouldsc

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013

Not sure where you read that but I have full 5.1 surround sound via Plex on the Fire TV.

I do convert all files to MP4 though (MP4Tools) - not sure if that makes a difference

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Not sure where you read that but I have full 5.1 surround sound via Plex on the Fire TV.

I do convert all files to MP4 though (MP4Tools) - not sure if that makes a difference

It does.

Right now you only get DD 5.1 with mp4 files. No DTS or DD with mkv files, and no DTS with mp4. You will only get stereo.

If I wanted all my files MP4, I would just keep using iTunes+ATV natively. Kinda defeats the purpose of Plex, as far as the Amazon Fire is concerned.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Well I seem to be making a balls of this...

Tried to install the profile on my new ATV3 and it just said "Adding Profile" forever.
So I tried the alternative using iPhone Configuration Utility.

That confused me, especially what to put in the Name and Identifier sections.

I know it says put anything, but that's not helpful.

I plugged in my ATV3 and it showed up ok. I got to the part where I click install and it then changed to remove. So far so good...

But then I plug it back into my TV and nothing is showing up apart from Computers and Settings.
I'm now thinking I've screwed the pooch and hit reset all settings which brings everything back to normal.

I plug the ATV back into my Mac and it now won't let me remove the profile I installed or let me install a new one I knocked up.

I'm confused and a bit pissed off. Putting Yosemite on my Mac Pro 1,1 was easier than this.

Any suggestions? I'm doing a restore of my ATV right now to see if it will wipe that profile off so I can start fresh.

I've also realised that everything disappearing from the main screen was changing the DNS to that of my server Mac, although that's what the instructions said to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.