Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
Hi guys,

Man, this thing has me beat. I don't know what else to do... I really need help from any of you that have stumbled into this scenario...

I bought a crucial M550 SSD 512Gb to replace the 500Gb HD. This is what I did:

1. Dowloaded CC
2. Attached new SSD via USB
3. Via disk utility formatted it MacOSExtended and made it bootable by checking GUID partition table.
4. Cloned the original drive.
5. When finished, booted off the new SSD still attached via USB. Booted fine.
6. Installed SSD on macMini.
7. Powered MacMini.

I get a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

This exact same procedure has worked countless times for my MBPs... I dont know whats so particular about this model that this wont work.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Did you put the SSD in the same bay (upper or lower) that the original boot HDD came in using the same cable?

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
Did you put the SSD in the same bay (upper or lower) that the original boot HDD came in using the same cable?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, exactly the same. Upper in my case.

I can only boot when the original HD is attached via USB - OSX eventually uses it for a usable boot drive... after giving up on the internal SSD.

I can see the SSD in disk utilities, so the SATA cable is OK.

I assume that there HAS to be a way to solve this. If only in case there is a hard drive failure and a new one is needed.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, exactly the same. Upper in my case.

I can only boot when the original HD is attached via USB - OSX eventually uses it for a usable boot drive... after giving up on the internal SSD.

I can see the SSD in disk utilities, so the SATA cable is OK.

I assume that there HAS to be a way to solve this. If only in case there is a hard drive failure and a new one is needed.
When you had both drives connected before (HDD internal, SSD via USB) are you sure it booted off the SSD and not the internal HDD? Can you wipe the SSD and verify that it functions properly? Is the SSD a Samsung 840?

Any reason to clone the boot SSD? Why not swap it in place of the internal HDD, do a clean install of OSX via USB flash drive and only after it boots properly (from internal location) migrate your files from the HDD? Sometimes when you don't do a clean OSX install there can be issues. I've only done clean installs and have never had a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
When you had both drives connected before (HDD internal, SSD via USB) are you sure it booted off the SSD and not the internal HDD? Can you wipe the SSD and verify that it functions properly? Is the SSD a Samsung 840?

Any reason to clone the boot SSD? Why not swap it in place of the internal HDD, do a clean install of OSX via USB flash drive and only after it boots properly (from internal location) migrate your files from the HDD? Sometimes when you don't do a clean OSX install there can be issues. I've only done clean installs and have never had a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Right, so I meant that it boots off the HDD after giving up on the SSD. Its a crucial M550 512Gb.

I was able to format it and using Carbon clone to it, so it works properly.

I chose to go with cloning because I read somewhere that '12 MacMinis were "particular" in that regard. They came with a "special" build. I just got this one used, so I wanted to be safe as this may be the original HD.

In any case, I am attempting to do an install using internet recovery. If this doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I chose to go with cloning because I read somewhere that '12 MacMinis were "particular" in that regard. They came with a "special" build...I am attempting to do an install using internet recovery. If this doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.
Don't give up until you do a clean install from a USB flash drive. That's the gold standard. I've heard of issues from both the recovery partition and cloning. I hadn't heard the 2012 Minis had a special build. Nonetheless, software update should provide all the necessary files for that system.

kboller07

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
Hi, I think you need to hold alt during boot up and then in system preferences select the drive as your startup disk. Hope it helps.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
I need help with SSD upgrade on '12 MacMini

Hi, I think you need to hold alt during boot up and then in system preferences select the drive as your startup disk. Hope it helps.

This.

Otherwise, I'd suggest doing a clean install and use migration assistant to transfer your files and apps.

Or if you have time machine backup, use it to restore your setup on the ssd

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
Sometimes when reinstalling the heat shield the ssd cable pops off. Pull out the fan and make sure its secure to the motherboard.

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
Right, so I meant that it boots off the HDD after giving up on the SSD. Its a crucial M550 512Gb.

I was able to format it and using Carbon clone to it, so it works properly.

I chose to go with cloning because I read somewhere that '12 MacMinis were "particular" in that regard. They came with a "special" build. I just got this one used, so I wanted to be safe as this may be the original HD.

In any case, I am attempting to do an install using internet recovery. If this doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

When I installed my blank SSD last week in my 2012 Mini I was in your shoes with the folder icon with a question mark. Ended up going the internet recover route (Option Key at Boot up) and installing the original OS X (Mountain Lion). When it rebooted I attempted to do a time machine backup from my time capsule Yosemite capture, but for some reason it wouldn't complete after 3 attempts.

I ended up just going to the App store and upgrading to Yosemite after the Mountain Lion install and then my Time Machine backup worked like a charm, installing everything in order as it was from my HDD prior to the SSD install.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
When I installed my blank SSD last week in my 2012 Mini I was in your shoes with the folder icon with a question mark. Ended up going the internet recover route (Option Key at Boot up) and installing the original OS X (Mountain Lion). When it rebooted I attempted to do a time machine backup from my time capsule Yosemite capture, but for some reason it wouldn't complete after 3 attempts.

I ended up just going to the App store and upgrading to Yosemite after the Mountain Lion install and then my Time Machine backup worked like a charm, installing everything in order as it was from my HDD prior to the SSD install.

You don't need to reinstall if you have access to the recovery and a timemachine backup.
You could've just launch the internet recovery, and select the option to restore from TimeMachine and your computer will be back to as it was before you switched the drive.

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
You don't need to reinstall if you have access to the recovery and a timemachine backup.
You could've just launch the internet recovery, and select the option to restore from TimeMachine and your computer will be back to as it was before you switched the drive.

Well, I tried EVERYTHING. No matter which HD/SSD. After I format it, and when I connect it internally, the mini won't see it. I have tried recovery, USB stick, installing the OS from another mac, etc...I have never seen such thing before.

Its under AppleCare, so they are going to (try to) re-image it on my SSD. They suspect the SATA cable may be bad...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.