Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valerian22

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Anyone think Best Buy will sell the new retail I5 below $399? Or is that rock bottom historically?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
LOL. Its like this. This mac mini will most likely be the very last up-gradable mac mini ever from apple. On top of that they run Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite and the next OS. They will be worth a ton in a short while and will be coveted collectors items in years to come. If I was to sell one now it would be for too much. I plan on keeping these forever and never selling them. I collect macs and to have this level of mini unopened is like going back in time and grabbing an unopened original macintosh. Apple has pretty much killed off all of its up-gradable systems. I don't even know if I would call the new mac pro upgrade-able since there is not hard drive space to speak of and the graphics cards are proprietary. That leaves only the 27" mac mini with accessible ram slots and that is frankly pretty freaking sad.

No chance. I have a 2012 mini, but I'm under no delusions that it's just another computer. Heck, it can't even be properly used for an HTPC for many reasons:

1.) OSX doesn't support either 24p (23.976hz) playback.
2.) OSX doesn't support HD audio
3.) Even if you run Windows on it, you still won't get 24p playback because Ivy Bridge has the 24.000hz bug only fixed with Haswell.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Movers coupon rejected

The sales droid in Best Buy refused to accept the 10% off movers coupon when I was in the process of getting an open box Mac Mini for 359$. I walked away.

Anybody else get rejected like this? The droid said that their manager told them it wasn't valid.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
The sales droid in Best Buy refused to accept the 10% off movers coupon when I was in the process of getting an open box Mac Mini for 359$. I walked away.

Anybody else get rejected like this? The droid said that their manager told them it wasn't valid.

that's bs, there's nothing on the terms and conditions of that coupon that says the mac mini is excluded

poncekim

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014

These coupons aren't supposed to work on apple products. The manager is correct. Some stores are clueless and will do it for you. It all depends on the store. If you go to slick deals, you'll see that people started posting deals with these movers coupons during the summer. Now, its gotten so popular, the post office runs out of mover packs regularly.

If I were you, I would've just taken the open box. Still a very good price and probably not worth driving all around town trying to find a store that will save you an extra 37 bucks.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
2012 Base Mac mini on sale at Best Buy for $399

Lol. $359 wasn't good enough for you?

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
Possibly. I wasn't going to argue the point with the kid. I just politely said they'd lost a sale and walked out.

i would have definitely argued on this one, just because the price was too good to walk away from and someone else probably purchased after you had left. to me that reads Apple branded accessories are the only things excluded, but not computers, or tablets.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Possibly. I wasn't going to argue the point with the kid. I just politely said they'd lost a sale and walked out.

And the next guy happily bought it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me... If you want one and found one discounted already, who cares if they don't discount the last 10% that isn't even supposed to happen on open box

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
To them, Apple branded computing means a computer of the Apple brand.

It is like: Welcome, we have grand sale - 10% off on everything in the store. Excluded items: any item you would like to buy from our store. Thanks, come again. :confused:

Last edited:

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
I just did the Best Buy 10% Mover's Coupon deal and it worked flawlessly. Bought two 2012 Minis for $404 a piece. Screaming deal.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
And the next guy happily bought it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me... If you want one and found one discounted already, who cares if they don't discount the last 10% that isn't even supposed to happen on open box
The possible reason for rejection - open box status. I noticed when I attempted to order open box mini online - it refused to give 5% cash back on my reward card and referred to the open box mini as marketplace item. This coupon specifically restricts such items.

----------

I just did the Best Buy 10% Mover's Coupon deal and it worked flawlessly. Bought two 2012 Minis for $404 a piece. Screaming deal.
Yes, it worked flawlessly on my new mac mini dropping price to $404. Not sure about open-box though.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
No chance. I have a 2012 mini, but I'm under no delusions that it's just another computer. Heck, it can't even be properly used for an HTPC for many reasons:

1.) OSX doesn't support either 24p (23.976hz) playback.
2.) OSX doesn't support HD audio
3.) Even if you run Windows on it, you still won't get 24p playback because Ivy Bridge has the 24.000hz bug only fixed with Haswell.

Just get Raspberry Pi $30, decent (20MB/s) 4GB or 8GB class 10 SD card - $9, load Raspbmc on it , pay ~ $5 license fees to unlock MP2, VC1 hardware acceleration (H.264 is included). Overclock to 1.1 GHz using Raspbmc GUI (is not it convenient). Add Flirc USB IR remote - $22 or DIY IR module for $.50 and old PC CD cable. And enjoy 24p forever for a few $ a year of electricity - you do not even need to power it off. Pi runs full linux OS, so you could be creative and host mySQL on network or NAS, configure NFS shares on boot (unified across devices, so they all referencing media consistently) and etc, so then the movie DB is updated across all devices and playback info is shared, so you can start watching movies in living room then continue in the bedroom. I never understood folks spending more than $$ for HTPC needs (not referring to storage). It would be such a waste for mini. I would think Apple engineers were hoping for a bit more than a juke box when they designed mini.

Last edited:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
The movers coupon worked online for me on an open box that brought the total to 340 before tax. Also got a MacBook Air 13.3 in store for 750 with the coupon open box as well. I just ask them to scan it politely, and I say doesn't the computer know if it's not acceptable and this seems to work.

GOAT4521

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
VA
The movers coupon worked online for me on an open box that brought the total to 340 before tax. Also got a MacBook Air 13.3 in store for 750 with the coupon open box as well. I just ask them to scan it politely, and I say doesn't the computer know if it's not acceptable and this seems to work.
How did you use it online?

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
Best Buy

Man...Best Buy was great on the Minis...but was highway robbery for a DVI cable. I had my old mini hooked up via VGA, but needed a DVI cable to connect the same monitor to this one. I couldn't stack the DVI to VGA adapter onto the HDMI to DVI one.

I didn't want to wait for eBay, so I checked Walmart. Nothing. Target? Nothing.
Radio Shack was $28.99!

Back to Best Buy. $19.99. So I went and got another Mover's Coupon and got $2 off. LOL!

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

Same issue today.I actually didn't really push for this since I figured I was lucky enough as they honored the $399 deal even though their website was showing $449. This saves me the coupon for something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.