Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Swype is the main keyboard I use. Tried Swiftkey several times but overall I'm more comfortable with Swype.

I swype very fast, and the keyboard many times can't match the speed of my finger. It lags a LOT and it's very annoying.

This has happened on all Android devices I've tried so far: SGS3, SGS5, G2, Nexus 10 and Nexus 7.

I've tried disabling features like sync and backup and more. Nothing.

I've even contacted technical support twice and it seems they don't even know about this issue, which is surprising.

Maybe they don't swipe as fast as I do?

On swiftkey I can swipe as fast as i normally do and there's zero lag.

So... do you guys also experience the same issue on Swype? Or am I alone?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Swype is the main keyboard I use. Tried Swiftkey several times but overall I'm more comfortable with Swype.

I swype very fast, and the keyboard many times can't match the speed of my finger. It lags a LOT and it's very annoying.

This has happened on all Android devices I've tried so far: SGS3, SGS5, G2, Nexus 10 and Nexus 7.

I've even contacted technical support twice and it seems they don't even know about this issue, which is surprising.

It lags pretty bad for me sometimes. I swipe fast too and for the most part it flows perfectly, but sometimes it just throws a fit and is laggy until I close the app I'm writing in and put the phone to sleep. When it does get laggy, it'll choke the most when I edit a word in the middle of the text.

I haven't studied the behaviour enough to know what seems to cause it, since I use a Note 2 I figured it was due to the phone being 2 years old now and had thought it'd be better on more recent devices. Sorry to hear that it happens on your S5 and G2 as well.

I keep using it anyway since I still find it to be the best keyboard despite the lag. A bit annoying though.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
While not swype, I find Swiftkey laggy and the only keyboard that performs well enough is the Google Keyboard that was built in.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011

I only just purchased Swype, simply because the google keyboard stopped working properly (Double Space is supposed to put a "." at the end, followed by a space), but now it also deletes the last character.

Anyway, Swype is quite laggy on my Note 3 (never had a previous version), mainly when deleting anything. It seems trying to guess how much I want to delete and jumps between single character deletion to word deletion - so it might be why it at least appear to be laggy.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Odd, no issues with Swype on my N5. Well outside of replying on this forum, for some reason I can't swype my reply i have to type it and even then sometimes the cursor jumps around in the text box.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im not sure... but there is something wrong with swype. it proposes wrong words almost on everytime (in my mother language, but it is a difficult language). i have been using it over a year, and i think it was better few months ago. i could also imagine the whole thing =D i havent seen it would be laggy, maybe ... slow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.