Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Maybe we've reached the point where these flagships are enough for the majority of us. Still think there'll be 4k next year by someone.

Personally speaking, I can see a difference between my OPO and Note 4. But had I never done a side-by-side I'd still be more than happy with the 1080p/401ppi/5.5inch.
But I digress, the Turbo battery is a bit a surprise. I'm seeing 7-8 hours SOT with a Dual SIM Note 4 with 3,000mAh. So an extra 900mAh should be hitting 10-11 hours in theory.

Then again, that's theory and everyone uses their devices differently.

Will be good to see what @jamezr finds.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Actually thats where your wrong on the Droid Turbo having a Pentile display, no Motorola phone uses pentile, they all use RGB layout , the Droid turbo doesnt use a Pentile display.

You can see a difference between note 3 and note 4 BECAUSE OF PENTILE man that is why, because there is one less red and blue subpixel in a pixel makeup!

Honestly Ive stared at the 6 Plus screen and M8 and Note 4 side by side with same images and they all look equally sharp and ridiculously clear, I highly doubt you can tell the image quality difference, it is so minute,

Iv had 2 motos with pentile displays bud the droid x and x2 or droid 2 going from memory and can clearly remember the horrible screen door affect on them.

Can you please share with us the source saying the turbo is not using a pentile display and please share with us your thoughts on the president of display mate saying even a rgb sub pixel display would need over 716 PPI at 8 in with 20/20 vision to not be able to tell the difference

Its funny how you state 400 is the max as that is exactly where apple is on the 6 plus

The droid incredible also went amoled with pentile going from memory.here is a wiki to save your time on the x2 and stop posting your false assumptions about moto as facts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-31-09-40-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-31-09-40-34.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are looking at it wrong :)

Apparently. Funny thing too - I compared the Air and Air 2 at the Apple store yesterday and saw a pretty apparent difference in color vibrancy/accuracy.

No extra sharpness obviously, but I could tell there was something different/better about the Air 2 display apparatus.

With my iPhones, it's all good and high quality. Just stared at the two again and despite the roughly 80 extra pixels per inch on the 6+, I couldn't see any discernible difference in quality.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Actually thats where your wrong on the Droid Turbo having a Pentile display, no Motorola phone uses pentile, they all use RGB layout , the Droid turbo doesnt use a Pentile display.

False. Motorola has and does use PenTile displays. The Moto X uses a PenTile AMOLED display made by Samsung.

Since the new Turbo also has an AMOLED display I would bet it is PenTile as well.
The screen on the new Moto X looks fantastic, though. The PenTile array uses diamond-shaped subpixels, which is what all of Samsung's new displays use.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/07/moto-x-2014-review-a-nearly-perfect-android-phone/

Michael

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Iv had 2 motos with pentile displays bud the droid x and x2 or droid 2 going from memory and can clearly remember the horrible screen door affect on them.

Can you please share with us the source saying the turbo is not using a pentile display and please share with us your thoughts on the president of display mate saying even a rgb sub pixel display would need over 716 PPI at 8 in with 20/20 vision to not be able to tell the difference

Its funny how you state 400 is the max as that is exactly where apple is on the 6 plus

The droid incredible also went amoled with pentile going from memory.here is a wiki to save your time on the x2 and stop posting your false assumptions about moto as facts.

THE MODERN Motorola smartphones dude! The Moto X and Moto X 2014 and the Nexus 6 and Droid Turbo use RGB layout for its OLED screens, how havent you been known this? I know Motorolas used Pentile in the past, not anymore, and my whole point is that I showed and told you why your able to see a noticeable difference going from a Note 3 to Note 4, but that going from a 6 with 326 PPPI to the Plus resolution of 401 PPI , that you cant really tell a difference at all unless you look close, it is because really starting after 350 PPI , pixels and everything does start to become and seem incredibly sharp, I cant see any pixels on a Plus, and you cant either, and neither can 85% of people, you do realize as you age, by the time your age 20-25 , your vision drops naturally biologically? alot of people do NOT have 20/20 vision

My assumptions are actually facts and now you seem to be upset that I showed and told you why you see a big difference in sharpness from a Note 3 at 1080p and a Quad HD Note 4 display, its because of Pentile and the fact that there is only 2 subpixels per pixel in Pentile, unlike RGB layouts

Ive compared a G3 and a Plus screen in store and literally I cant tell any difference in sharpness at all, Id say the Plus screen actually looks better and more vivid and brighter and has better colors and viewing angles then the pretty dull display of the G3

Sorry dude the Moto x does not have Pentile , you would easily be able to tell if the 2013 moto X has pentile at 720p resolution like the S3 screen how it was not sharp and looked pixelated, despite it being 720p, its because of Pentile once again, the Moto x screen looks nice and clear because its real Ppi and all sub pixels are 310 PPI each, get your information correct and stop passing off false incorrect information if your trying to debate here,

The Moto X uses a RGB layout screen

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/5

"The Note 2 and Moto X display have a subpixel unit cell which includes a stacked red and green pixel, and adjacent blue pixel. The unit cell includes a full three subpixels per pixel (RGB), avoiding the loss of spatial resolution and color artifacts that arise from the other two subpixel per pixel unit cells we’ve seen in the past"

A full 3 subpixels per pixel, aka RGB layout and not Pentile, please dont use Wiki, youll make your self look like a idiot.

And I say around 400 PPI because I can see ever so slightly pixelation on the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 display at 326 PPI but that I cant see any pixelation or distortion AT all on the Plus, even looking super close, it just looks so sharp and clear with no pixelation at all...

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
The droid x and the x2 used pentile screens.the x came out in 2010 the droid incredible also used a pentile screen and was just telling you moto does and has used pentile and just a heads up you can have rgb in pentile,stripe,s stripe diamond matrix etc.

A quick google says the droid turbo is using a super amoled display.

If its using a super amoled its using Samsung's screen and is the same tech in the note 4

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
False. Motorola has and does use PenTile displays. The Moto X uses a PenTile AMOLED display made by Samsung.

Since the new Turbo also has an AMOLED display I would bet it is PenTile as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/07/moto-x-2014-review-a-nearly-perfect-android-phone/

Michael

read my post I just made, i forgot to quote you in it, The moto X does NOT use a Pentile display actually, it uses a RGB layout.

----------

The droid x and the x2 used pentile screens.the x came out in 2010 the droid incredible also used a pentile screen and was just telling you moto does and has used pentile and just a heads up you can have rgb in pentile,stripe,s stripe diamond matrix etc.

diamond matrix has nothing to do with if it uses RGB or pentile, diamond matrix is just the layout of the pixels in arrangement, there really is no such thing as a RGB layout diamond arrangement, you can't have RGB in pentile because that doesnt make sense it is either one or the other, old Motorola phones and past phones have used pentile layout, but motorola doesnt use Pentile anymore they use RGB layout for their OLED screens

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
You can have rgb in different layouts bro you have no idea wtf your talking about.

Rgb is the colors they use in the sub pixels and they can arrange them in many ways

PS the droid turbo is using a super amoled screen take a guess who made it

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I was checking out this China brand phone called THL (Technology Happy Life) and they offer a smartphone with a 5000 mAh battery called THL 5000. It sports a 5-inch screen, *gasp* a MediaTek 2 GHz octa-core, 1080p, and only 4.2 JB. I go read the review on Android Authority and the battery life was a big disappointment as well.

Imagine a 5000 mAh on a 5-incher screen? That's bigger than the Huawei Ascend Mates and they tested much better and with bigger displays. I think 5000 mAh is the biggest capacity I have ever seen for a smartphone with only a 5-inch display. Bigger than the Lenovo P780's 4000 mAh from last year.

So I guess large battery capacities doesn't mean anything without proper software optimization, or if it has a more power hungry SoC or display. Had this THL went 720p and KitKat by default, perhaps it could have lasted longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.