Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
They need to sell iPhone in Cuba before Iran.

However, I thought that we an embargo for US business in both countries.

There was a recent article on CNN with a title alluding how to was going to discuss how the Cuban embargo was hurting the younger generation while trying to punish their elders before it actually started reporting on something completely different, but I agree with that sentiment.

The leaders of Cuba and Iran may be *******s, but when we take actions because of what we do, we hurt those that like us. They just want to make a life for themselves and enjoy whatever time they have here. It's not like every person in Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc... are all sheep herding terrorist, despite was some backwards *** rednecks like to think.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As if the "People" want that, as I said in my last post, have you been there?

They are one of the nicest people in the world, it's just a handful of people who spoil it for the rest.

You know, politics and religion shouldn't be mixed!

I don't think the OP was suggesting the "people" endorse that at all, but rather, in Iran, as a controlled country, the ruling class, the ones that do condone injustice and inhumane activities, will have greatest access to the phones, and they would use them for nefarious purposes. (I also think OP was being a bit tongue in cheek).

And politics and religion isn't the big problem... extremism is. An extremist, non-sectarian, government is no better than an extremist theocracy.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
selling in Iran

Do not sell to Iran. They are crazy people. Why treat them to something so special.:(

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think that if morals and ethics were involved, Apple would not sell in or to Iran. However, morals and ethics in the same sentence as any big business name is an oxymoron.

As for misuse of the phones consider that Android and similar are far easier to use for nefarious purposes where programming comes in.

It may also be possible that iPhones can be an asset to our military, NSA and more given how easy our government seems to be able to suck up data including personal calls, images stored and more.

Personally, I wouldn't sell anything to Iran, I would respect the embargo notion and do whatever it takes to make Iran more amiable to undoing its nuke program which is certainly not just for "power" and "medical" use (they are using centrifuges already to create isotopes that are not found in civilian use but in bomb making).

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Good news. Iran should be our natural ally. There is an enormous reservoir of goodwill among the Iranian people towards the United States, and many of them look back fondly to the days when we had military bases all over Iran (and spent a lot of money there.) Iran is an excellent bulwark against the Sun'ni Wahabists spreading the ideology of jihad all over the Middle East, courtesy of our friends in the House of Saud.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Right now, the only one preventing Apple from working with them, or these people working with us and participating in the global economy, is us and the UN, with the various sanctions in place. Now that Ahmedinajad is out of the way, things just may get better there.

BL.

Ahmadinejad leaving has nothing to do with Iranian sanctions being lifted. He has been gone from Iranian presidency for over a year now, by the way.

The only probable way that sanctions on Iran will be lifted (or eased) is…. DRUM ROLL…. if the Nuclear negotiators use lifting of sanctions as a carrot to make Iran "play nice" and ends its pursuit of nuclear weapons (like Libya's Gaddafi did).

In fact… that very possibility is being discussed at this very moment. It's on the negotiation table right at this moment whether people like it or not. It's in the news as of 24 hours ago.

So yes…. if the sanctions on Iran are eased to some degree, it may very well be possible for Apple to sell iPhones to Iranian citizens. Of course, the Ayatollahs and hard-line clerics will still criticize the iPhone as "a thing of the Devil".

Iran wants sanctions lifted as part of nuclear deal

How EU would lift Iran sanctions after nuclear deal

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Do not sell to Iran. They are crazy people. Why treat them to something so special.:(

The average Iranians are good people. The government is kinda whackjob, yes.

I remember growing up in a neighborhood in Southern California. Our next door neighbors were Iranian immigrants, who fled from Iran when the Shah was ousted in the early 1980s. They were still Muslim, but were not judgmental. During the first Christmas we had in that neighborhood, the Iranian family came to our door at Christmas Eve and they gave our family a big pan of baklava and wished us (we are Catholics) Merry Christmas! in their broken English. That was their way of welcoming us to the neighborhood.

They are not bad people at all. But their government and leaders… not so great…

And if you don't know what baklava is…. I feel sorry for your lack of cultural enlightenment.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well, China doesn't publicly call for the innehilation of another country which is a member in the United Nations. And they are not actively trying to fulfill on that promise. So there is that.

Because they managed to keep Taiwan out of it?

----------

How many Iranians do you know?

Shouldn't you be happy if Iranian citizens can use a phone that provides secure communications and secure storage of information that their government has no chance to access?

----------

Oh how quickly the sweet and colourful language from Apple about how they care about human rights and human life in general evaporates when money takes hold.

It really shows that you care about human rights if you deny people the tools to access information from outside the country, and to communicate safely with each other.

Can't believe the conservatives anywhere in the Middle East would allow smart phones, internet content, social media...it would be the beginning of the end for their influence, at least dictatorial influence.

Well, exactly. People like zin don't think far enough.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
What does that have to do with selling iPhone there?

1. There are sanctions in place to get the government to back down.
2. The people of Iran are not allowed to speak up. Their iPhone wouldn't be exactly used for the communications part.

----------

Again. China doesn't call for innehilation of all human beings living in Tibet. They want to control them, and that's bad - you won't find me supporting China on almost anything.

Still, it doesn't have plans to nuke Tibet.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
1. There are sanctions in place to get the government to back down.
2. The people of Iran are not allowed to speak up. Their iPhone wouldn't be exactly used for the communications part.

1. I'm sure Apple have people far more qualified than you or me that deal with legal issues and sanctions, and would have vetted this whole thing.
2. Are you saying People of Iran don't have cell and Wifi service?

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
It has been one of the tragedies of US foreign policy that we have been such bitter "enemies" with Iran since 1979. In many respects our currently bad relations with Iran are a sad hangover of the Cold War. We ended up backing the Shah, seeing him as a bulwark against Communism, at least as represented by Mohammad Mosaddegh, whom the CIA and Britain's MI6 helped overthrow thanks to his threats to nationalize Iran's oil industry.

In retrospect, Mosaddegh's brand of secular democracy was just what Iran needed to become a modern Islamic state, without the Theocratic tyranny represented by the Mullahs.

That all seems conspiratorial. From what you say, it sounds like certain people are perpetuating a farce by using actors and staged events to have their way in the world.

All Eastern countries need to watch out, and don't trust Apple any more than Google or Queen Elizabeth.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
It really shows that you care about human rights if you deny people the tools to access information from outside the country, and to communicate safely with each other.

No point buying one of these expensive devices if the Government has already censored a chunk of the Internet. Normal cellular phones are already available and they can communicate safely already.

If anything attempting to avoid the censorship filters will attract undesirable attention from governmental authorities.

Apple is very vocal about supporting equality in many respects and yet they are bringing their phone to Iran, a country that is most definitely not a supporter of equality, especially towards women. Apple is a business. When it comes down to it, they will choose money over doing the right thing, which should be to refuse to do business with countries such as Iran. There is no point in you trying to sugar coat this.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
No point buying one of these expensive devices if the Government has already censored a chunk of the Internet. Normal cellular phones are already available and they can communicate safely already.

If anything attempting to avoid the censorship filters will attract undesirable attention from governmental authorities.

Apple is very vocal about supporting equality in many respects and yet they are bringing their phone to Iran, a country that is most definitely not a supporter of equality, especially towards women. Apple is a business. When it comes down to it, they will choose money over doing the right thing, which should be to refuse to do business with countries such as Iran. There is no point in you trying to sugar coat this.

There are many ways to achieve this:
1. Isolate and don't talk to anyone there. Let news sneak in via various means, and make the only official voice heard the government one.
2. Open them up to new ideas, and see what progress has been made over the last 35 years. (yes, I know they haven't been isolated that much)

In the last 35 years...
There have been 4 generations of American Jets (757, 767, 777, and 787). Iran has 727, 737, and 747's that need to be upgraded.
There have been 23 generations of CPUs (18 month cycle) released. The Apple II was out in 1979.
The speed of information has increased 33,333 times (300 baud vs. 100Mbit FIOS)
Computers come with 4-16 million times the RAM they once did (4k vs. 16-64GB)
The storage on computers has increased 2.5 billion times what it was (120K vs. 3TB)

They are in for an amazing time!

Also, I think that showing them how great things can be is key to them lightening up over there. But, I leave that to them.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
These sanctions don't make sense

Sell them iPhones, but don't buy their oil.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Exactly how I feel about close minded people having access to Macrumors forums.

Not only should Apple get as many iPhones as possible to Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Syria, etc. ASAP, they should give them away for free, with free cell service and free data.

When, and only when, the free and uninhibited exchange of ideas begins to flow in these countries, will the shackles of tyranny and oppression be broken.

The first thing the jackasses in power in these countries do when it looks like their power is being compromised is to shut down Internet access, if they have access at all. Why? Because they don't want people talking, thinking, learning, and most of all, organizing.

FACETIME IS FREEDOM.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There are many ways to achieve this:
1. Isolate and don't talk to anyone there. Let news sneak in via various means, and make the only official voice heard the government one.
2. Open them up to new ideas, and see what progress has been made over the last 35 years. (yes, I know they haven't been isolated that much)

In the last 35 years...
There have been 4 generations of American Jets (757, 767, 777, and 787). Iran has 727, 737, and 747's that need to be upgraded.
There have been 23 generations of CPUs (18 month cycle) released. The Apple II was out in 1979.
The speed of information has increased 33,333 times (300 baud vs. 100Mbit FIOS)
Computers come with 4-16 million times the RAM they once did (4k vs. 16-64GB)
The storage on computers has increased 2.5 billion times what it was (120K vs. 3TB)

They are in for an amazing time!

Also, I think that showing them how great things can be is key to them lightening up over there. But, I leave that to them.

You are aware Iran is an extremely technologically advanced country...right? :confused:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I wouldn't call them "extremely" tech advanced, but yeah it's not like they don't have iPhones there already. They're just at a premium.

Besides Israel they are clearly the technological leader in the ME, and they have some of the best technology oriented education in the world. Domestic policy is woefully backwards, but as far as technology goes they have some of the best assets in the region no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.