Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I haven't been monitoring this thread too closely since I just wanted to see how often I encounter the distortion in my "normal usage". So far it's been okay, but I'm also slightly biased since I don't want to exchange my iPad and have to buy another glass screen protector. :p

That being said, I have found that it does show up when picking the iPad up from the right side (which I do, since I'm right handed). Just like jonnyb says, when just holding the iPad with my right hand, my fingers tend to extend out towards the logo, which changes the pressure pattern and I don't get the distortion even when walking around. However, when I'm picking it up from the table, I don't/can't extend my fingers all the way and my fingers are closer to the edge. Gives me a better grip. Then the cantilevered weight of the iPad causes the distortion to appear. That's when I can see it happen (and when I originally saw it).

Just like with Millionaire2k, I wasn't intentionally looking for something wrong - it just popped out at me when I first picked it up when I was setting it up. On the other hand, when I saw it, I was also like, "WTF was that?" When you pay this much for a new toy, you don't want it to be defective. Now that it sounds like most/a lot/>1 units have this I feel a bit better, but I'm worried about the reliability of the product. Maybe I'll just get Applecare and be done with it! :)

I'm right handed so I hold the iPad in my left hand, odd that you hold it in your right hand, that means you operate it with your left. Rather odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Do you guys not recommend buying an Air 2 because of the #distortiongate?

I think the air 2 is great. Given that, I did get my replacement. Shipped from Harrisburg pa like the first one and it is the same.

So I really have 3 choices

I can just deal with it
I can return it again and wait for another one
I can return it and play roulette with best buys stock.

The last 2 are because the nearest Apple Store is 2 hrs away

While its a strange issue it isn't a show stopper. I might hold off for a week or so and try one more time for a return/replace. If it goes south again I would be within 14 days of Black Friday and might get a better deal :)

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
This seems pretty awful if it's effecting all of these users. I'd probably think twice about an iPad Air 2 due to this QC issue, but the 2GB RAM might be enough to quell that, so I have no idea what I'd do in this situation.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Do you guys not recommend buying an Air 2 because of the #distortiongate?
I recommend BUY.
This distortion so called issue is BS.
You will never notice it unless you try really hard.
Yes it is there, but it always was and is present on ALL tablets.
Btw; Samsung Tab 3 has it in all areas and is thick as a brick ;)

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
This seems pretty awful if it's effecting all of these users. I'd probably think twice about an iPad Air 2 due to this QC issue, but the 2GB RAM might be enough to quell that, so I have no idea what I'd do in this situation.

The question I would ask myself is do you need an upgrade/tablet right now. And ofcourse your financial position matters. I'm going to wait and see if these problems still occur in coming batches. If so I'll give my 3 another year and will go for the Air3. That will be even more awesome and hopelyfully gets an oled screen and splitscreen in iOS9. I'm figuring the current issues will be ironed out by then. I really like the increased speed and RAM of the Air2, but I really don't want to spend 600 euro's and have these trade-offs while I still have (a :apple: rMini and) a 3 on iOS 7.1 that's slower but smooth and has a perfect even white screen.

Last edited:

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
With my model the distortion does not appear at all in normal usage. It appears briefly only if I grip the iPad Air 2 and actively push the back with the right hand, but the force required is well above normal usage, at least in my case.

I'm very happy with the Air 2 but I don't consider it a huge upgrade over the Air 1: skipping it and waiting for the next upgrade is a pretty reasonable option.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Seems like this is one of those issues where there is variation between devices. Or, some people just don't see it.

I was almost tempted to take advantage of the crazy deal that Best Buy is offering for trade ins on the Air 2 but this issue combined with the vibration thing is probably going to kill it for me. 2 GB of RAM doesn't gaurantee me anything and isn't enough to make the jump.

Air owners can skip this update and that's the general feeling of many reviews I've read. If you own an older ipad then the Air 2 make sense but if you have an Air it's a very questionable update. And that's that.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
I recommend BUY.
This distortion so called issue is BS.
You will never notice it unless you try really hard.
Yes it is there, but it always was and is present on ALL tablets.
Btw; Samsung Tab 3 has it in all areas and is thick as a brick ;)

This sentence is the only BS thing there is. Ipad 1,2,4 & original mini don't do it, no one mentioned it on the Air or most other tablets. Keep drinking the kool aid.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the distortion on my iPad Air 2 and so did all of the Air 2s that I tried at the Apple store. For me it is a non issue and no reason not to buy the Air 2. If it showed up when just holding the device as some apparently have, that is different and I would return one with that defect and try again. For me I hope to never notice it and have no intention of pressing on the back of the device again.

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
I went to the apple store today and EVERY AIR 2 I picked up had this issue, EVERY SINGLE ONE, soo

They all have this issue, PERIOD.

is it a bad issue, not really BUT it is annoying when holding it because it happens.

Now what apple should do is give us all free cases!!!!

now also I picked up an air 1 and WOW the air 2 is lighter and thinner.

edit:
I think the air 2 was designed for a case, why because it is just too light and too thin without one, and putting one on will make it just perfect. As all the others with a case on just makes them bulky, in my own opinion only..

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Just got an Air 2 today and of course it has none of these issues. Typical Macrumors forums.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I checked out the iPad Airs at a Verizon Store today. The screen artifact was fairly bad on the Air 2, but I also could get the artifact on the Air 1! It wasn't as bad but it was there.

Honestly, it isn't at a place that I normally hold a tablet. I could probably live with it. Thankfully, I won't have to, since the pixel density of the large iPads, or any large tablet, sucks. I use a tablet for reading and I demand crystal clear text which requires at least 325 ppi.

Love the weight though. It's an incredible tablet and for anyone who uses it held at arms length the ppi won't be an issue. The screen distortion probably isn't either, but try it before buying!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Just got an Air 2 today and of course it has none of these issues. Typical Macrumors forums.

Sure bud, everyone else that has one just made it up to complain about a product they bought as soon as possible, i.e.. before you.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I noticed this problem not too long ago when in the Apple store. It only appeared in one place for me, about mid way up the device, in the about a quarter to a third from the right edge. No issues when holding in landscape and putting light pressure on the device, and in portrait mode when applying light pressure to the left side, only on the right in that place I described. If you're a little more gentle than normal with it it shouldn't happen very often.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I noticed this problem not too long ago when in the Apple store. It only appeared in one place for me, about mid way up the device, in the about a quarter to a third from the right edge. No issues when holding in landscape and putting light pressure on the device, and in portrait mode when applying light pressure to the left side, only on the right in that place I described. If you're a little more gentle than normal with it it shouldn't happen very often.

Yep, its on every single one, but some are much more sensitive then others.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
They all have this issue, PERIOD.

yep, need to wait and not to buy - if they secrectly fixed it and then check the device after few months...

is it a bad issue, not really BUT it is annoying when holding it because it happens.

Now what apple should do is give us all free cases!!!!

but the problem is, the case makes it even worse. it adds the pressure.

and.. if it is happening already on your hand, will it be okay to keep the device in your bag with other stuff (books, wallet, whatever)? what is too much pressure against the screen until it is broken?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Sadness

As for me, I'll be accepting the tradeoff and upgrading to the Air 2. :D
Well, I spoke too soon.

I picked up a space grey, 128gb cellular model today. It had the problem, bad. I first saw it just as the iPad was booting up, before I intentionally tried to make it happen. The mere pressure of my finger while holding the device was enough.

Oh well, bad unit. Back to the Apple Store it went. Two more came out in succession. Both of the intended replacements exhibited the same problem as the original, though to a somewhat lesser extent. But in my judgment, all three were sensitive enough that the distortion would happen during normal handling of the device. This is where I draw the line--if the problem happens only when pressing abnormally hard on the back of the device, I think that is acceptable. But when it shows up in routine use--sorry, but I can't live with that.

Oh well, bad batch? I gave up at that point. The interesting thing is that I got zero pushback from the Apple staff, who could not have been more helpful. The saleswoman said "that shouldn't happen." She showed it to a genius, who made a similar comment. They opened some sort of report used to track problems on newly-released devices. So, we'll see.

I'll wait a month or three, then try again. Hopefully this can be addressed in production. It would certainly help escalate the issue if more people would complain. ;)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Well, I spoke too soon.

I picked up a space grey, 128gb cellular model today. It had the problem, bad. I first saw it just as the iPad was booting up, before I intentionally tried to make it happen. The mere pressure of my finger while holding the device was enough.

Oh well, bad unit. Back to the Apple Store it went. Two more came out in succession. Both of the intended replacements exhibited the same problem as the original, though to a somewhat lesser extent. But in my judgment, all three were sensitive enough that the distortion would happen during normal handling of the device. This is where I draw the line--if the problem happens only when pressing abnormally hard on the back of the device, I think that is acceptable. But when it shows up in routine use--sorry, but I can't live with that.

Oh well, bad batch? I gave up at that point. The interesting thing is that I got zero pushback from the Apple staff, who could not have been more helpful. The saleswoman said "that shouldn't happen." She showed it to a genius, who made a similar comment. They opened some sort of report used to track problems on newly-released devices. So, we'll see.

I'll wait a month or three, then try again. Hopefully this can be addressed in production. It would certainly help escalate the issue if more people would complain. ;)

Good to hear that they took the issue seriously enough to at least log it and hopefully send it off. It'd be great if aple acknowledged it and actually came up with some type of fix. Although, this is what happens when the race to be super thin takes over. Just like when a person loses too much weight.... They go from looking healthy to looking too skinny and sickly.

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Ok guys. I got my Air 2 today. Guess what? No distortion!
I tried to find it. Walked around with it, holding it in one hand, trying different positions, trying a lot of force. I just didn't get the distortion.
Maybe not ALL Air 2s are bad?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm so sad.

PS. No matter what I'm keeping an ipad air 2. I just don't know if I should start the exchange carrousel hoping for 1 that does it less.

OP, have you personally used any iPad Air 2s that DON'T have this issue? Is it possible that early batches only have the issue? (All displays and preorders)

Do they all do this? Not sure what to think, considering the varied responses. I will not be happy if mine does it.

Please get a grip, this is pretty insignificant compared to the problems a lot of people have in their lives. A bit disappointing? Maybe. A bit inconvenient? Maybe, if you decide to take it back / send it back to get a replacement. Might cause a problem with the screen over time? Maybe, but that's why you have a warranty.

Mine will do it but not in normal use (with or without case) and I have to actually try to flex it / squeeze it with more than normal gripping strength to get it to do it: I'd never have seen it if it wasn't for this thread. If it ever causes a problem (which I think is pretty unlikely) I'm sure Apple will exchange it.

Oh stop it. Just because people are starving in Africa doesn't mean someone can't be upset about spending $1,000 on a device that is faulty. Nobody is saying it's the worst thing in the world. Stop trying to create drama.

I couldn't imagine living 2 hours from apple. Where do you live. I live in. Teaneck my store is 10 min away if there's no traffic.

Anyone who lives that far out needs to move to civilization.

I can just walk around holding it with my right hand and see it as I walk. Happens either in the Apple case or out.

https://vimeo.com/110022537

Wow, that is really not good.

Ok,

So I went to the Apple store today.

I showed the guy the issue on my 128 Silver LTE.

He said "wow" and picked up the ipad. He was able to see it VERY EASY. He said "that's not right, lets get you another"

So he brings out the new 1 and sure enough the new 1 did it also. However the new 1 only does it in the middle spot on the right. The one I brought in does it on the entire right side.

We then went over to the display units and ALL of them did it. He said that he will let his manager know.

I then asked if I could keep the new one that does it less and he said sure.

So Apple was VERY nice about the entire thing. The guys was super nice. He also took notes to forward to the repair team. He asked if they could contact me with any questions and I said sure.

In the end I'm VERY happy with my iPad air 2. This is NOT a deal breaker for me. I just needed my last one traded out because the problem was much worst then my new 1.

I just needed to be sure I didn't have a defective unit.

Anyone with this issue in just 1 or 2 spots, Id say you got a good 1. If it doesn't bother you, you should keep it.

Anyone with the issue in more then 2 spots on the right I'd suggest you exchange it.

PS- side note. beyond this issue, The ipad air 2 is great. Of all 3 I had, all 3 had great screens.. No yellow/pixel/spine issues.

:D:apple:

The iPhone 6 doesn't have this issue and it's plenty thin. So it's not a thinness issue. This absolutely should not be happening.

OP, have you personally used any iPad Air 2s that DON'T have this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.