Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I bought this app for both my iphone and macbook air based on Apples promotion of the widget. I wonder if Apple will give me my $20 back since they are removing what was offered as a benefit.

Just ask for a refund, go into the App Store and raise a ticket for a refund, should be done instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Kind of pointless with the shortcut for the built in one, being in the control panel. Maybe for the iPad though??

Tom-Create-Pro

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
UK
Apple seem to be more and more about everything being their way, lack of user configurability has become a running theme within hardware and software.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Oh don't be stupid. What is your mental model for Apple here?

(1) Ban all calculators except our own.
(2) ???
(3) Profit!

How exactly is it in Apple's interest (strategic, short term, or otherwise) to force people to use their calculator? It's not like a calculator is some sort of gateway to an important commercial sphere.

I expect the reality behind this is some combination of:
- security concerns that Apple has just become aware of (and doesn't want to publicize for obvious reasons) OR
- notification apps can burn too much power or RAM and so need to be drastically limited in their scope

First of all, you could have quite easily made your point without calling me stupid.

And it's not, but they have always been against duplicating features. If you try to submit an app which duplicates any iOS functionality, they will more often than not reject it.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I'm glad my feelings agree with most of yours. I was pretty happy when I heard about apple having a limited form of widgets but after seeing how they crippled it by limiting it to notification center I wasn't happy and now that they are telling developers what they can and can't do makes it even more useless. I was very close to coming back to an iphone when the 6 came out but I know I'd not be happy being locked down again.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is dumb, especially when Apple still refuses to release a calculator app for the iPad. Now there's a viable alternative (calculator widgets) and Apple wants to ban those even when they aren't replicating any functionality in the iPad in the first place?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
MR, you need to amend the article to say that the free version of PCalc is also available and has widget capability.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple seem to be more and more about everything being their way, lack of user configurability has become a running theme within hardware and software.
Apple isn't more and more about it, they've been that way always when it comes to iOS. If anything they are becoming less so, but not by any huge degree. Not sure what it is that people are surprised or shocked about here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
First of all, you could have quite easily made your point without calling me stupid.

And it's not, but they have always been against duplicating features. If you try to submit an app which duplicates any iOS functionality, they will more often than not reject it.
Is that why there are a ton of calculator apps, weather apps, stock apps, browser apps, mail apps, etc.?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The arguments for having a widget like this can be compared to the arguments some of us use for having Launch Center Pro.

But I'd also say to think about it as using a calculator in general. You usually don't use it by itself. You usually have a piece of paper you're writing the output on. There are programs like Solver (which is what I use the majority of the time) which will calculate stuff and let you use it for notes, but it's overkill for very simplistic math that is purely numbers.

If Apple feels like there's security problems with these types of widgets, then they need to come up with a sandbox for them.

It should be a given that multiple widgets will slow things down. After all, these things have access to your locations, calendar data, etc. Some of us (including me), have figured this out already and have streamlined our NC with only the stuff that is worth having in there.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
You know, it's possible to love Apple products, and yet still be critical of asinine decisions Apple makes. :rolleyes:

The fact that this is a calculator really isn't the point––it's the fact that it's limiting the potential for widgets for no good reason.

Well, I don't know if Apple's decision on this is going to last the test of time. I'm pretty sure there were some at Apple who believed "We'll never move away from the click-wheel, or the 30-pin connector."

Apple is pretty good at changing its views on how they design things.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

This used to be the case, but not so anymore. You can duplicate features to your hearts content. Apple realizes they will lose anticompetitive lawsuits if they disallow that. Their reasoning is something beyond a feature duplication, of this I am certain.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Real Talk

I use an Android widget to control my tv and cable box. I configure the remote in my on screen widget anyway i want. The IR sensor on the top of my GS4 beams my remote request to my tv and cable box. You can't tell me that isn't 1000x better than having to launch the Xfinity app, navigate to the remote location within the app and waiting for my wifi signal to travel to the cable box. Then finding the Samsung app and doing the same thing to increase the volume on the tv. I can do the same thing with any tv and cable box any where I am. No need to connect to wifi. It just works.

oh, and if there is a sale on memory cards, I can add 128gb to my phone for cheap rather than paying Apple $200 for the privilege.

If you have an open mind, it is really had to make the case that iphone is better than a good quality Android device. Yes, iOS has the apps, but this is only important (to me) on the iPad. Any app worth anything is cloud based and device agnostic. Dropbox, Open table, Audible, Myfitnesspal, email,etc.

In the words of another truth teller:

"Hate me now."
--Nas

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use an Android widget to control my tv and cable box. I configure the remote in my on screen widget anyway i want. The IR sensor on the top of my GS4 beams my remote request to my tv and cable box. You can't tell me that isn't 1000x better than having to launch the Xfinity app, navigate to the remote location within the app and waiting for my wifi signal to travel to the cable box. Then finding the Samsung app and doing the same thing to increase the volume on the tv. I can do the same thing with any tv and cable box any where I am. No need to connect to wifi. It just works.

oh, and if there is a sale on memory cards, I can add 128gb to my phone for cheap rather than paying Apple $200 for the privilege.

If you have an open mind, it is really had to make the case that iphone is better than a good quality Android device. Yes, iOS has the apps, but this is only important (to me) on the iPad. Any app worth anything is cloud based and device agnostic. Dropbox, Open table, Audible, Myfitnesspal, email,etc.

In the words of another truth teller:

"Hate me now."
--Nas
The case is simple, everyone has their own preference, and the preferences of others play no role and don't matter at all.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
You sound like you would think there should be no line at all, that everything should be as configurable as under Android. Which implies that you think no good can ever come from restricting things. Which is ok to have as an opinion but iOS differentiator towards Android is clearly that things can be better if you restrict some elements, questioning that is questioning the existence of iOS per se.

Just because I don't think that Apple should restrict functional widgets from the Notification Center doesn't mean that I think iOS should be a free-for-all. I generally think Apple's approach makes sense — having things fairly closed and then gradually opening them up as the OS progresses to allow developers and users to do more things.

This seemed like a step backwards — there are things that the OS clearly allows people to do, and Apple moved to make it less functional by rejecting useful apps that had been touted in the press and even on the App Store. They later changed its mind when it got bad press about it, although AriX says

It's not one developer. A bunch of developers now have had their widgets rejected for ridiculous reasons like these. Not all of them are quite this public about it.

so Apple may still be adding functionality to the OS and then applying some hard to decipher restrictions on what is and isn't allowed to be done, like in the early days of the App Store.

My opinion on this specific case is surely colored by the fact that Apple just intentionally crippled the Mac Mini by making it less powerful and then soldering things down to make it harder to upgrade it. People should have options about what apps to install and how they configure their machine.

I don't know what the guidelines should be, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it sounds like a starting point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.