Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kacper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina that I purchased a few months ago. Is there a way to install OS X Snow Leopard on it? I do not have a DVD drive and do not own OS X Snow Leopard discs. I do have a retail copy .dmg file of it though. Can I copy it over to a USB flash drive and install it on a partition of my hard drive? How do I do that, if it's possible? Can you list the steps? I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

P.S. Please don't ask why.

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
In simple terms the earliest you can go on any Mac is the original OS that was on the machine when new. You can go back to Mavericks.
Would probably need to be buying a several year old machine to run Snow Leopard now.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina that I purchased a few months ago. Is there a way to install OS X Snow Leopard on it? I do not have a DVD drive and do not own OS X Snow Leopard discs. I do have a retail copy .dmg file of it though. Can I copy it over to a USB flash drive and install it on a partition of my hard drive? How do I do that, if it's possible? Can you list the steps? I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

P.S. Please don't ask why.

Virtualisation is the only way you could run Snow Leopard.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Why is not possible to install Snow Leopard on new Macs? This is my favorite OS and wanted to do the same when I get a new Macbook.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Why is not possible to install Snow Leopard on new Macs? This is my favorite OS and wanted to do the same when I get a new Macbook.

Apple only allows Macs and other devices to run the OS they originally shipped with. The reasoning is unknown, but it may have something to do with how OS X subscription is more closely tied to the hardware itself than simply buying a Windows install disk.

Snow Leopard is no longer supported now that Mavericks and Yosemite are free updates. It's a common thing for software companies to end support of old software in favor of updated versions. Microsoft has done the same thing with XP. Running anything before Mavericks these days and doing anything involving personal information like credit cards or bank accounts is asking to be the victim of malware :eek:

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I can understand that it may be an OS you are familiar with, more comfortable with, etc. but there is absolutely ZERO benefit other than this familiarity. All you would do is create more problems for yourself. It's best to just move on to the current OS and get used to it. It really isn't bad.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I have Mavericks on the Mini and will update to Yosemite these days. Still, my older Macbook Pro is on Snow Leopard because I love it :)
I thought it was still possible to install any OS X version on new Macs, but if I was wrong, I will have to move on when I get a new Macbook.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have Mavericks on the Mini and will update to Yosemite these days. Still, my older Macbook Pro is on Snow Leopard because I love it :)
I thought it was still possible to install any OS X version on new Macs, but if I was wrong, I will have to move on when I get a new Macbook.

Among other reasons, how would an old OS carry drivers for new hardware that didn't exist when it was last updated?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, as others stated. The older OS does not have the proper kexts (device drivers) for your new laptop. It just won't load and there's no amount of hacking that will change that.

Your best bet is to run the older version within VMware. That may take bit of work but its possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.