Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2009 aluminum body 2.53 ghz core 2 duo device.
After recently upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite I started hearing slight clicking noises that sounded like it was coming from the keyboard. Well I pulled the bottom cover and I can clearly hearing it coming from the Fujitsu drive in this sucker. I ran the apple diagnostics and even ran smart utility the long(11hrs) and short test and i got no errors. No crashing or lockups but I still hear it here and there. I just did a full back up on time machine. I was debating pulling the drive out and hooking up to my usb/serial cable to run Fujitsu diags on my windows box. For the love of god why are all the hard drive utilities made for only windows? As a side not which i thought was very freaky was that even when the laptop was powered off I would hear it if I moved it around.

Anyhow my question was basically has anyone had a similar issue?

And I was debating rolling back to an earlier OS. Could I just restore all my current data from my current time machine backup to an older OS?

Thanks for reading.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
And I was debating rolling back to an earlier OS. Could I just restore all my current data from my current time machine backup to an older OS?

You can by option key booting to the TM disk and click restore, then you will get a screen where you pick a restore date. Just scroll down and pick a date from when the previous OS version was on there.

But Yosemite does not make drives click. It could be that the workout of an OS upgrade cause the drive to fail. Either way, you should replace that drive.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah i agree about the drive failing and its cheap enough to replace but what third party utilities are out there where I can do a disk to disk? I would rather do that than have to reinstall the whole operating system and then restore from Time Machine. This laptop originally came with Snow Leopard and I upgraded it a bunch of times. I have Symantec Ghost but I am Not sure if it is capable. I guess I will have to research that now as well. Appreciate the feedback.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah i agree about the drive failing and its cheap enough to replace but what third party utilities are out there where I can do a disk to disk? I would rather do that than have to reinstall the whole operating system and then restore from Time Machine. This laptop originally came with Snow Leopard and I upgraded it a bunch of times. I have Symantec Ghost but I am Not sure if it is capable. I guess I will have to research that now as well. Appreciate the feedback.

There are a couple of utilities I know that can do the job very well for you.

SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner.

SuperDuper! will clone your active partition, but not the recovery partition and make the clone bootable.

Carbon Copy Cloner does both, and again will make a bootable copy.

The easiest way to do this is to get a USB enclosure that'll hold your new drive, clone onto it, then take it out of the enclosure and put it in your Mac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

https://bombich.com/download

Just use the older 3.5.7 version of Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything to the new disk. It is paid software, but there is a 30 day trial that will get you fixed up.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does 3.5.7 work on Yosemite?

According to the dev. here... no. But I know he said that about the older 3.4.7 with Mavericks also, and it worked.

I think the issue is more that it has not been tested with Yosemite for data integrity so it would be risky to use it.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
When does it click? Just randomly even when sitting still? Or does it click when you move the computer?

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Well I have a working version of Carbon Copy Cloner which I was using all along until I decided to give Time Machine a go for backing up. It's version 3.5.1. though so it's older so it wouldn't do what i need for an exact clone for simplicity. As for the question about when it clicks it's random. But I know for sure its the hard drive after putting it up to my ear with the bottom cover off. It DOES seem to happen more if I move it around but I am just going to just get a replacement at this point.

I already have an external usb hard drive that i use for back ups which is big enough. What I would like to do is backup(image hopefully) to that and then pop the new drive in the macbook and restore from the external to the new internal.

Might have to look into CCC 4 at this point. I could reinstall the whole Snow Leopard OS from scratch from disc but I don't see how I would be able to get an upgrade straight to Yosemite, correct? I am just assuming you can't do that but I am not sure.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Might have to look into CCC 4 at this point. I could reinstall the whole Snow Leopard OS from scratch from disc but I don't see how I would be able to get an upgrade straight to Yosemite, correct? I am just assuming you can't do that but I am not sure.

You can go straight from SL 10.6.8 to Yosemite if you want.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Nope. Free upgrade all day everyday.

Very interesting. What about choosing which one I wanted to upgrade to? Or am i just asking for too much at this point.....Just ebayed a new hard drive for this thing should have it in a few days.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Very interesting. What about choosing which one I wanted to upgrade to? Or am i just asking for too much at this point.....Just ebayed a new hard drive for this thing should have it in a few days.

Mavericks has been pulled from the app store so at this point your only option is Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.