Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2009
China
I'm contemplating building a $1500+ gaming hackintosh but with the depreciation factor of computer parts and my limited time I don't think I'll be able to get much use out of it over the next year versus buying an old xbox 360. Currently I can run Skyrim in wine or something on OSX at supposedly retina resolution on ultra settings, but I get the same feel FPS-wise as I do when I run it at 1680x1050 ultra, either way it just feels a bit too slow.

I'm planning to either park my MBP, or 'trade' it for a similarly priced gaming rig and roll with my old 11" MBA.

I'm not sure how the retina works, but even if I render a game at 16x10 isn't it still messing around with a 25x16 amount of pixels to fill in the gaps? I saw GPU benchmarks awhile back that showed the '13 11" MBA with i7 was similar to the rMBP that I have FPS wise.

Would I see any gains if I hook it up to an external 1080p monitor and simply close the lid? All I really want to do is play older games like Skyrim and Call of Duty fairly maxed out at 1080 or even 1440p. I'll be switching to windows or even steam for gaming once I decide to retire or repurpose my daily machine.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Use windows

To get best gaming results use windows as a VM and run to a 1080p monitor, it is still no gaming rig but that will optimise what it will do. Or just get a playstation or xbox to game on..

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
How to squeeze every last bit of gaming performance from my '13 13" rMBP?

By buying a console. Seriously, it's a laptop with integrated graphics, you can't really expect all that much out of it.

Run bootcamp, it'll help a bit. Apart from that, there's nothing you can do.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
To get best gaming results use windows as a VM and run to a 1080p monitor, it is still no gaming rig but that will optimise what it will do. Or just get a playstation or xbox to game on..

DO NOT RUN in VM. Install bootcamp. Thats really the only way to Game on a Mac unless its a Mac OS X native game. Most ports are pretty bad too.

I have a 2013 13" pro and I can run black ops 2 on high, BF4 on low and medium settings. All Valve games on near high or ultra. Its not a bad little gaming machine, My buddy has a 555m in a dell ups and I am nearly keeping up with that.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK

fenderbass146 is right. Running Windows as a VM just adds overhead since its emulating an OS over an OS. Bootcamp and the latest graphic driver is the way to go.

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2009
China
DO NOT RUN in VM. Install bootcamp. Thats really the only way to Game on a Mac unless its a Mac OS X native game. Most ports are pretty bad too.

I have a 2013 13" pro and I can run black ops 2 on high, BF4 on low and medium settings. All Valve games on near high or ultra. Its not a bad little gaming machine, My buddy has a 555m in a dell ups and I am nearly keeping up with that.

Thanks for this!

I will install bootcamp when I 'retire' this MBP, bit right now the disk space requirements are pretty high, plus the fact that I can't get bootcamp to install nicely without compromising my 'daily driver.'

I'm still thinking though that an i7 11" air will perform just as nicely with lower cost and ultimately deliver the same 1080p performance as my current iris 5100 rMBP. Perhaps I should just lay low until the 12" MBwhatever comes out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.