Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
12.2 inches compared to 9.7 sounds much more manageable and appopriate than th previously rumored 12.9.

So I got to thinking, take a current Air 2 (or even an old iPad 4 which has a larger footprint), and how much larger do you think the footprint would actually be, especially if Apple trimmed down the bezels for the pro?

I think the footprint could be a lot more smaller/manageable than it sounds. I don't see Apple releasing this without trimming the bezels.

Thoughts?

claudio7ita

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Bologna Italy
looking at new air 2 I think the Pro will be more manageble than the Surface pro 3 and also of iPad 4, my question is when can we expect the coming on market.
And the actual app for iPad will be suitable for the Pro without a license upgrade.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The other thing to take into consideration is a change in aspect ratio. Wider makes more sense for having split screen apps, and also decreases the overall footprint. For instance, using a 16:10 ratio might make more sense for creatives. It gives space for toolbars and boxes next to the image you're working on, and it also allows for better use of split screen multitasking. Additionally (someone please check my math, I'm just a designer), at 12.2" a 4:3 ratio has about 7% bigger surface area than a 16:10 ratio. Attached is my quick mockup. Here I'm only showing display sizes, no bezels. Even so I'm surprised that the 12.2" size doesn't seem significantly bigger, especially at a 16:10 ratio. I would buy the hell out of a 16:10 iPad Pro.

Attachments

• ipad-pro-display-ratio-mockups.jpg
    ipad-pro-display-ratio-mockups.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 70

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I don't see Apple releasing this without trimming the bezels.

Thoughts?

People said that about the iPhone 6/6+ as well, but apparently the bezels are "iconic" now. I wouldn't expect the first generation to have a unique form factor to be honest. Could be wrong of course, hope it does start the wave of bezel trimming on iOS devices.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
People said that about the iPhone 6/6+ as well, but apparently the bezels are "iconic" now. I wouldn't expect the first generation to have a unique form factor to be honest. Could be wrong of course, hope it does start the wave of bezel trimming on iOS devices.

What's wrong with current bezels?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.