Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
everyone has had their ideas about what apple's supposedly new digital device could be, from an iPhone to a Tablet and for some reason something to do with TV's, but spymac.com has suggested.....a printer.
-"Agreed, an Apple-developed printer sounds a bit mundane in a market with a lust for purely-digital devices, but I'm confident Apple could amaze us with a line of printers that featured their usual mix of minimalist design, integration and use of open standards. Bluetooth enabled; a shiny Apple logo gleaming on the front; flawless integration with consumer applications such as iPhoto...
It's not very likely, however. With intense competition from industry giants, an Apple-developed line of printers would have to compete in an established and crowded market -- more risk than even the iPod initially faced.
With Hewlett-Packard expecting "imaging and printing revenues to grow 10 percent annually over the next three years," the market is certainly healthy..."-

Now at first I thought, why the hell would they do that, but then I started thinking about it and an Apple printer would be awesome, I mean I like my epson printer but its a cheap one that I bought because I needed one and I was spending a lot on my new iMac but I am currently looking into a new better one and one for printing digital photos, just imagine a new apple designed streamlined printer that would match my iMac, now Im interested in one purely by design interests but they could go so far with it as well such as the above mentioned iPhoto integration. They of course would need a manufacturer and who better than epson? f*** HP......Yes this would be a tough market to break into, but why there would surely be enough interest in one right, you tell me?

of course I also realise that for some reason I am a vicitim of the Apple trademark (like so many others) and the idea of anything bearing an apple logo seems cool for some reason, and this bothers me to an extent, but not enough to keep me from pulling my wallet out at the sight of an apple cellphone, pda, or even a printer.....damn that Steve Jobs!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I just don't get it... What would an Apple printer do that an Epson, HP, or Lexmark printer doesnt do?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Didn't Apple sell printers for years and years? I think they went out of the printer business about 5 years ago after making them for about 10 years or more. I think there was probably less and less business for them after everything became USB and standardized. HP and Epson probably take care of most Apple sales these days.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Apple for the most part while selling printers under their name actually used Canon and HP engines on many of their printers.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I just don't get it... What would an Apple printer do that an Epson, HP, or Lexmark printer doesnt do?
That extra little bit of profit that Apple can capture at the Point-of-Sale for the computer system.

Most likely Apple wouldn't produce the printers and/or package them but buy them complete with Apple packaging and Logo direct from HP, Epson, Canon, etc.

Having Apple brand printers also opens the possibility of offering Mac users the option of an Apple Computer bundle (iMac, speakers, printer, etc.).

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I would LOVE an apple printer

Lexmark, HP, and Epson just don't know how to make a printer...............they're crap are pieces of junk...............

If Apple makes a printer, I will BLINDLY purchase it and unless it physically bites my hand off, I will never look back

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
i got one

its called a stylewriter 1200 still going strong except not in OSX.
If Apple can make a inkjet that will last as long as my stylewriter I would definately consider it. it should have bluetooth or airport option though and who will build it, we they use hp or canon again.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
An Apple-branded or created printer is dumb and will never happen. HP, Lexmark and Canon have the market and Apple doesn't need the extra hassle of quality assurance/development of another peripheral.

I'm sure Apple gets a tidy little discount from Canon to offer Canon printers in the Apple Stores (physical) and their Apple Store website. That's the only place that they'd make money from selling printers.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I just wanted to point out - to make sure everyone is aware - Apple made printers for quite some time. In fact, Apple's early Laserprinter was a big factor in the success of the Macintosh and the emergance of Desktop Publishing.

Regardless... when Apple was hemorraging money... discontinuing Printers was one of the things that it did to try to slim down.

That's not to say they won't go back...

arn

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Yup, Apple definitely made printers until the late 90s. I still fondly remember the old LaserWriter and StyleWriter humming away near my Dad's Macs in the house. Nowadays, however, HP and Lexmark have a pretty strong hold on the printer market. Design isn't worth as much for a printer than a computer, so I can't see Apple going back into this market and making some decent profit.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
apple designed

I dont actually want apple to manufactor a printer.
I want them to design the casing to match there products. firewire of course, along with bluetooth and airport options and the drivers of course.
Epson ,hp,canon lexmark. or maybe a $499 color Laser with firewire2 and usb and the aforementioned options. It does not need the best stats just Apple drivers and support and great looks I would buy it now.

iconrad

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
why on earth would you kneed firewire on a printer?? let alown firewire2. It just dosen't make sense, USB is 10 mbps which is plenty fast for a printer.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I would buy one if it had Apple typical great design, comparible resolution to all printers on the market, had archival inks, and had a competitive price. An Apple photo printer that is.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by iconrad
why on earth would you kneed firewire on a printer?? let alown firewire2. It just dosen't make sense, USB is 10 mbps which is plenty fast for a printer.
Well if it is a nice looking inkjet, maybe just maybe it could get its power from the firewire port, i think one less cord would be great. if it is a Laser with a Large buffer, I would guess 32MB at least for some photo shop images, you could have the buffer loaded up in 1 second flat which means less wear on the other apps you are working on. this is much more effiecent then background printing. excuse my penmanship.
plus its apples technology and should be used but most of all its just cool.
What do you think?

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I too still have a stylewriter, and it will work in classic, any ways, its in the garage, but still works when I try it once a year.

my epson is ok here at the house, but not as nice as the apple laser we have in the office, that thing is FAT daddy! I will buy a new machine in about 5 years, then a new printer with it, who ever has trhe best product at the time...but one thing, frekin printer ink should all be universal, its the heads that one sees the major differences in anyways, not the ink so much.

cheers!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I have an Apple LaserWriter...

... it does the bulk of my b&w printing. I got a gob of toner carts, the machine has printed over 25000 pages and is still going strong. I have a tek 540 plus for color printing. Because I could never get any of the FastPath boxes to work, I use an old SuperMac clone to run LaserWriter Bridge to print on the LaserWriter.

Arn's observations are, as usual, very astute. I seriously doubt that Apple would return to the printer market. The low-end ink jets are priced under $100, no way to make money there; the high-end market has more room, but volume is tiny.

Those who wish to get an Apple-branded printer are recommended to look in the used market for a LaserWriter IIntx or later PostScript laser printer with an Ethernet interface. Such a machine uses the same cartridges as popular HP lasers; it will run basically forever, producing excellent quality output. Just plug it onto your LAN and print away.

But pay attention to whom you buy it from - shipping from Hawaii could be very expensive, as they are very heavy devices!

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
I did not know that

I will have to boot up classic to try it out, i thought the serial ports were not reconized. maybe my opcode midi box will work also.
The wall mart had the canon equiv ink bco2 for just $10 and thats about all I use in a year. my brother has the epson c82 nice printer.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I'm using an Apple extended Keyboard II, on serial, it should recognize a printer on the same bus (is that serial, or another connection? the beige keyboards that came with the original G3's, & fased out with the G4's)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by big
I'm using an Apple extended Keyboard II, on serial, it should recognize a printer on the same bus (is that serial, or another connection? the beige keyboards that came with the original G3's, & fased out with the G4's)
If I remember right they are two different connectors. Your keyboard isnt serial, its adb. and i believe old mac printers used the localtalk port. they look exactly the same besides the pins inside. so no it woudnt work to as far as my knowledge. I think i am right but not positive, i will wait for someone who has and older computer who can confirm my answer.

iJon

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by big
the keyboard and mouse on the biege g3 and blue g3 was adb and adb and usb respectively.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: apple designed

Originally posted by daveg5
It does not need the best stats just Apple drivers and support and great looks I would buy it now.

I on the other hand, prefer the looks of the prints to the looks of the printer.

Sadly, printers are a razors/blades product. A $500 dollar apple inkjet may be fabulous, well built, last forever, and make great prints, but won't sell well when a $99 Epson makes the same great prints.

A $99 Apple Printer may make great prints, and look better than the current crop, but won't have the longevity, build quality or engineering to set it apart.

Printers are a cut throat market, with slim margins, and a reliance on ink sales. HP & Epson, to a degree Lexmark & Canon, have done the research and control the market, and I feel that HP Laserjets and high end Epson inkjets are built like tanks.

Apple does really well attacking emerging markets, and becoming "the" product to own:
LCD = Cinema Display
MP3 = iPod
All in one = iMac

I think another entrant into the saturated printer market would just further muddy the waters, and would much rather see Apple apply their R & D somewhere where the can be the best of breed in an emerging market.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: apple designed

Originally posted by Nipsy

I on the other hand, prefer the looks of the prints to the looks of the printer.

Sadly, printers are a razors/blades product. A $500 dollar apple inkjet may be fabulous, well built, last forever, and make great prints, but won't sell well when a $99 Epson makes the same great prints.

A $99 Apple Printer may make great prints, and look better than the current crop, but won't have the longevity, build quality or engineering to set it apart.

Printers are a cut throat market, with slim margins, and a reliance on ink sales. HP & Epson, to a degree Lexmark & Canon, have done the research and control the market, and I feel that HP Laserjets and high end Epson inkjets are built like tanks.

Apple does really well attacking emerging markets, and becoming "the" product to own:
LCD = Cinema Display
MP3 = iPod
All in one = iMac

I think another entrant into the saturated printer market would just further muddy the waters, and would much rather see Apple apply their R & D somewhere where the can be the best of breed in an emerging market.

I completly agree. Apple got out of this business a long time ago and were very smart. Let the printer people make printers.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: apple designed

Originally posted by iJon

I completly agree. Apple got out of this business a long time ago and were very smart. Let the printer people make printers.

I also agree but can't help thinking a single model, low profile 'portable' photo printer that does 6"x4" wouldn't be a big loser.
Imagine something not much bigger than an iPod.

Re: Firewire or not
I believe there are already mid to high end printers with firewire. I don't know if it is possible but if you had IP over firewire it would be very useful for network printers and would beat USB hands down.

i_b_joshua

sonofking

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2002
doubt they'd do it again

As has been stated several times...Apple was in the printer business once before.

I don't think they'll get into it again, mostly because they'd end up hurting themselves. I imagine that HP doesn't share code with Lexmark doesn't share code with Canon because they all want competitive advantage. They do each have to get "here's how to make your stuff work"-code from Apple though...and if Apple got back into the printer business, they might end up being reluctant to share for competitive advantage reasons...which would then make those other companies pretty sore at Apple.

Then those other companies start saying "Fine, screw you and your Rendezvous and all your other spectacular technology" and Apple gets hurt by losing that support from other companies.

I don't think Apple will get back into the printer business, but I do think they'll court the top printer companies for support of the things they want to do in the OS...which means that change occurs slower than when Apple owns "the whole thing" since they have to convince everyone to take a chance on new technologies. So it'll be a while, but you know wide-spread support of firewire and bluetooth and rendezvous is coming...

PS. The people who create those movie posters that have been used in MacWorld photoshop comparison tests...they could definitely use a firewire connection to their printers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.