Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It looks like I will be buying a used iPhone from eBay to use as an iPod touch. As I stated before you need a sim from the same carrier that the iPhone uses to do this. Has anyone done this with an iPhone 5, 5c or 5s? I assume those sims they also sell on eBay for around $3-5 will work to get the phone to the home screen if it doesn't come with a SIM card. I plan on getting an AT&T phone so that the sim will definitely work, as I am not sure how to go about this with a CDMA carrier that doesn't use SIM cards.

I am NOT trying to activate this proverbial phone for cell service, the only activation I am talking about is the initial activation needed to get to the home screen of the phone.

You don't need a sim to use an iPhone - used or otherwise - as an iPod Touch via wi-fi. This has been explained to you countless times before. I'm beginning to think you're just stupid. And doubly so if you buy an used iPhone from ebay.

Last edited:

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
You don't need a sim to use an iPhone - used or otherwise - via wi-fi. This has been explained to you countless times before. I'm beginning to think you're just stupid.
To set it up, you'll need a sim card. Were not talking about android.
You can't hacktivate it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
To set it up, you'll need a sim card. Were not talking about android.
You can't hacktivate it.

No, you don't - I've done this countless times with iPhones - you may need to create an iTunes account, but definitely no sim card required. Same as Android.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
You have to have a sim to set up.

No, you really don't. As I already said, I've set up countless used iPhones as media devices for friends and all without using a sim card. I'm in Scotland, but can't imagine its being any different elsewhere.

My own iPhone (pictured above) was used - I didn't bother putting a sim in it for 6 months; just used it as a media player. Used it as a phone for a while, but it's pretty worthless now as it runs 8.1 slowly.

Last edited:

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
iPod Touch or alternative

Might be different in the USA, we have different restrictions and plans here. Every article I have read says you need a sim and I read recent ones too. Anyways a sim is like $3 so I don't see the big deal about it.

If and when you need a sim I do believe you can remove the sim after the initial setup though and that is the only time you need a sim unless you restore.

If you restore, you will need to use a sim again only to get past that screen.

I guess it's possible that if you bought one or obtained one from a friend that was already passed that screen then you wouldn't need a sim unless you restored.

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
It looks like I will be buying a used iPhone from eBay to use as an iPod touch. As I stated before you need a sim from the same carrier that the iPhone uses to do this. Has anyone done this with an iPhone 5, 5c or 5s? I assume those sims they also sell on eBay for around $3-5 will work to get the phone to the home screen if it doesn't come with a SIM card. I plan on getting an AT&T phone so that the sim will definitely work, as I am not sure how to go about this with a CDMA carrier that doesn't use SIM cards.

I am NOT trying to activate this proverbial phone for cell service, the only activation I am talking about is the initial activation needed to get to the home screen of the phone.

The only time you need the same SIM as the carrier is for Verizon/Sprint. For the GSM/International models any SIM will work for the initial device activation.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I am surprised nobody has suggested this...but if you are in the US you can get a prepaid Verizon Moto G for like $50 or $60. Same Moto G as the $180 one, just no SIM card slot, which shouldn't be a problem for you. The Moto G is arguably better than the iPod touches, especially for a quarter of the price.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
With iPhone prices where I see them now I can see why people are not buying the touch. It's clear that apple wants people to buy their phones, and those who can't afford service like me but can afford a one time payment from saving up money have to buy a used iPhone and use it without the phone.

The Moto G doesn't sound bad but I am not sure if I want to jump to android after being on iOS since 2010. The only thing I want is something with more than 2-3 hours of battery life that my iPod touch 5th gen now has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.