Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pietrov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I've just bought 3 unifi devices to substitue my timecapsule+airportextreme infrastructure.
Those are the units I've bought:
two:
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
one:
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/
The problem is that the latter one is not allowing roaming and that's really frustrating.
Moreover I've noticed that my ipad 2 (non air) is loosing connectivity from time to time (even not moving from an AP to another) and that's really annoying...
Does anybody have the same issue/problem?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've just bought 3 unifi devices to substitue my timecapsule+airportextreme infrastructure.
Those are the units I've bought:
two:
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
one:
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/
The problem is that the latter one is not allowing roaming and that's really frustrating.
Moreover I've noticed that my ipad 2 (non air) is loosing connectivity from time to time (even not moving from an AP to another) and that's really annoying...
Does anybody have the same issue/problem?

The AC UniFi does not currently support Zero-Handoff Roaming. On the two standard UAPs, I recommend that you enable Zero-Handoff Roaming as well as perform a site survey to ensure you have them on the appropriate channels.

pietrov

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
The AC UniFi does not currently support Zero-Handoff Roaming. On the two standard UAPs, I recommend that you enable Zero-Handoff Roaming as well as perform a site survey to ensure you have them on the appropriate channels.
@Altemose
do you agree that an AP sold for 450€ should have Zero-Handoff Roaming? ;)

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Pardon the ignorance, but what does zero handoff roaming? Is that seamless transitioning of devices from one AP to another?

I currently have 4 Linksys LAPAC1750PRO's enabled around my house. Unfortunately, there is a serious bug where the units become unresponsive after a few days of heavy video streaming. Drives me insane.

I've thought of getting the Unifi AP AC but want something where devices could go from AP to AP seamlessly, possibly band steer 2.4 GHz devices to 5 GHz if possible, and most importantly, have something that is stable without needing to reboot it all the time.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Pardon the ignorance, but what does zero handoff roaming? Is that seamless transitioning of devices from one AP to another?

I currently have 4 Linksys LAPAC1750PRO's enabled around my house. Unfortunately, there is a serious bug where the units become unresponsive after a few days of heavy video streaming. Drives me insane.

I've thought of getting the Unifi AP AC but want something where devices could go from AP to AP seamlessly, possibly band steer 2.4 GHz devices to 5 GHz if possible, and most importantly, have something that is stable without needing to reboot it all the time.

Zero-Handoff roaming is a process performed by the access points which makes roaming done as a seamless process that the client does not see. In a traditional AP network, the client's signal would need to become extremely weak or non-existent before it would switch to the next AP.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
That sounds like a really nice feature and would be useful since we FaceTime with family all the time while roaming around the house chasing the baby.

I just ordered three Unifi AC AP's. Looking forward to getting rid of the Linksys AP's (before my wife kills me the next time one goes out).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That sounds like a really nice feature and would be useful since we FaceTime with family all the time while roaming around the house chasing the baby.

I just ordered three Unifi AC AP's. Looking forward to getting rid of the Linksys AP's (before my wife kills me the next time one goes out).

As stated earlier in this thread, Zero-Handoff Roaming is not currently supported on the UAP-AC. Ubiquiti does say that it will be available in a couple of months however.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I find the EdgeRouter Lite to be appealing for price. If you go in thinking that for $100 you are getting a Cisco grade router then you may be disappointed. If you need some more features then consumer grade routers then they are fantastic.

I have a Linksys LRT214 now. Wondering how it compares.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a Linksys LRT214 now. Wondering how it compares.

It is one of those things where if the Linksys is working properly then it won't need to be upgraded. As I would tell anyone else, I would have no problems putting the EdgeRouter Lite in a school environment along with UniFi. That being said, it isn't Cisco top grade gear and does not try to be. You do gain many of the privileges afforded by high end corporate like the CLI, a (software based) controller, and a well designed firmware coupled with consistent updates.

I think that the EdgeRouter is faster, but you won't be able to see a difference in a home environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.