Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
How's it going folks. I just got back from a phenominal Euro trip but to my dismay my MBA was stolen during the trip back home. I backed up the MBA a month before leaving and i still have the pictures of my trip on my SD cards so i'm not too bummed. I felt the need to come back stronger so i splurged on a nice and shiny Macbook Pro form the refurbished store. I'm all happy like a lil school girl now. And the icing on the cake is i bought a Pelican 1470 case to protect it. Just thought i'd share my joy and post some pix of the machine.
:D

P.S. Pelican Pick and Pluck foam is a PIA!
:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 112

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
That's a great brand for travel cases. Very unlikely any damage to be done to it by the airline if you have to check it for whatever reason.

If I was having to travel lots for work like I used to, that's the brand I would get as well.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah i hear they're pretty much indestructible. I'm going to try to go the long haul with this one so i figured a Pelican case would be best suited in this situation.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
Yeah i hear they're pretty much indestructible. I'm going to try to go the long haul with this one so i figured a Pelican case would be best suited in this situation.

Thatʻs a tough looking case. Curious, how much do they run?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Congrats, but what exactly is the point of getting that case? It looks very heavy.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thatʻs a tough looking case. Curious, how much do they run?
Yeah, it's pretty darn rugged. US Armed Forces and law enforcement use these cases to protect their gear. If they use it, i'm sure it's good enough for me! Amazon was the cheapest by far at approx $115 shipped for the 1470 model with pick and pluck foam.

Congrats, but what exactly is the point of getting that case? It looks very heavy.
So i look like 007 when i'm wearing my suit and carrying this case :cool:

It's much lighter than it looks.

Last edited:

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, it's pretty darn rugged. US Armed Forces and law enforcement use these cases to protect their gear. If they use it, i'm sure it's good enough for me! Amazon was the cheapest by far at approx $115 shipped for the 1470 model with pick and pluck foam.

So i look like 007 when i'm wearing my suit and carrying this case :cool:

That's not a bad price for all that protection. Thanks for the info!

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Needs a sticker that says "Protected by Smith & Wesson". Good to hear you're back up and running.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
Military uses Pelican cases to protect gear from weapons to those sensitive stuff. Photographers also get Pelicans to protect their precious cameras. Each case should come with pick and pluck foam. ;)

slipper: I chanced upon this website yesterday. I think you may want to consider it after your encounter.
I'm considering picking up the household license. :D

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
How was your MBA stolen?

I had a close call recently. Put mine down while getting money out of an airport ATM, after a 10 hour flight. Left it behind. Fortunately it was still there 10min later, when I realised it was missing. It was in a black sleeve so all but invisible. I'm now looking for a bag with a shoulder strap so i won't make that mistake again.

dspilman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Pelican for the win. I have the 1095 with pick & pluck foam, it provides nice protection for my 15" rMBP. I was highly considering the 1470, thought that the 1095 would be a little less bulky, but I kinda wish I had gotten the 1470 so I could carry the charger and such in it like you did. Also, I like the clasps on the 1470 much better, they feel more secure then my 1095. However, I'm still happy with my 1095, I carry it every day all day. A friend and my wife have dropped it, and it was protected perfectly - couldn't say the same if it was just in a sleeve or shell. I don't think I'd ever carry around my $2,500 asset without my Pelican. I think the Pelican is worth every penny, to me its more valuable then AppleCare - if it was twice the price I'd pay it.

Do you use the shoulder strap? or carry it with the handle?

jsagurton

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
I've used Pelican cases to carry my cameras for years, and I swear by them. I've done some ridiculously stupid things with very, very expensive gear and it's always come out unharmed. I mean things like "Dropped $10k in gear in a river and went and found it downstream and kept shooting like nothing happened". They're worth every penny.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
+1 on that setup. I keep my 15" rMBP in a 1090 Pelican case when traveling. It's great to slide on the scanning belt and to plop down on the floor of the plane cabins. No need to worry about keeping your feet on it or spilling drinks etc. They are also great shock and rain protection when caught cycling in a down pour. Also, if it's in the back of a dusty jeep, now worries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.