Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
BS - Industrial and Systems Engineering
MBA - Finance

When I started college as an engineering student, I really wanted to design and build sailboats when I graduated. I am an avid and competitive sailor. But, when I graduated in 1982, things were pretty bleak in the boating industry, so I took a job at a national research laboratory. After working there for a while, they paid for my MBA, and I have been with this organization for 32 years....I am truly a dinosaur, but all and all it has been a pretty good run.

While I was an ok engineer, I was a much better financial analyst and manager. So, that was were I made my greatest contribution. I am preparing for retirement next year, and the pace at work has slowed quite a bit. I would like to do something freelance, but don't really have a clue what that would be. The most important thing will be finding something that gives me a feeling of contributing.

As you think about a major, think about how you want to contribute when you graduate. Also, try to be flexible and broadly prepare yourself for the future. Remember, the field you will work in might not even exist at the present time. Ten years ago, how many people worked in social media???

There are really only a few undergraduate degrees that brand you for a job; Engineering, Computer Science, Accounting and Finance. As a person that studied Engineering and Finance, I think it would be a sad world if young people only studied these branded fields. My daughter is a Government major at a great liberal arts university, and that is just fine with me. She will need to work a bit harder to find that first professional job, but I am confident it will work out in the long run because she is getting a great education, and she is passionate about working in not for profit or public sector.

Over the years, I have hired and managed a fair number of people. Training people in technical job responsibilities is relatively easy. Finding people with good communication and "meet and deal" skills is very very difficult.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I just got registered for next semester. Two classes for 11 credit hours essentially. Two of the courses are Networking concentration courses that are broken down to 4 hours for the first 8 weeks, and 4 for the second. They have to be taken together and are considered one course for the semester. The other class is Trig. This is going to be a breeze! :D

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
My daughter is a Government major at a great liberal arts university, and that is just fine with me. She will need to work a bit harder to find that first professional job, but I am confident it will work out in the long run because she is getting a great education, and she is passionate about working in not for profit or public sector.

That's the hardest thing, people are afraid to follow their passion because they think it won't get them a job. So you see the people who go for the job, Accounting, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, engineering, computer science, business, etc and then they burn out or become another person who hates their job.

Or

They do a double degree, and end up doing something under liberal arts but never taking it anywhere because they're too scared.

As an Arts graduate, I can't recommend it enough, you might not get a private sector job very easily, but you will do something you enjoy and chase the rainbow vs. being another person who works the next 30 to 40 years of their life after graduation hating every minute of it.

Don't be afraid to study what it is you enjoy in life, you only get one chance at it.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
BS in Horticulture Science (basically Plant Physiology)
MS in Horticulture (emphasis in Production and Root/Container interactions)

I started out of college as a County Extension Educator. I'm now what you could call a Regulatory Entomologist/Plant Pathologist. I also do the web page and database development for my division on the side. Totally self-taught.

I would have never seen myself doing this, but every step in my career prepared me for it in some way or another. I'm 40 and am finally seeing a way to get back to what I thought I was going to do out of college. And I'm all the better for that long road.

We seem to be on a trend of talking about the arts, but let me address the sciences. For an Ag major, I took everything from accounting and marketing to biochemistry and environmental molecular plant physiology <shiver>. A good science background should allow you to move around career wise as much as a good liberal arts degree.

Don't be afraid to study what it is you enjoy in life, you only get one chance at it.

And I have said this multiple times on MacRumors - Protect your electives! What I mean is use your electives to take things you are interested in away from your major. I took Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature as my English elective. Loved it! I held off for a couple of semesters to take a class I wanted rather then settle for Shakespeare or something else I would have slept through. For example, how about that elusive PE elective so many school require now? You could take general fitness or power walking or some other nonsense. Go for something you can't get just anywhere. How about fencing or ballroom dancing? I could learn golf anywhere. Personally, I learned to scuba dive (and it was a lot cheeper to take in college then at a dive shop).

You are in college for new learning experiences - not easy A's. If you are just checking off your BINGO card as fast as possible to get a diploma, you are there for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Associate in Arts, 2013
Currently working on a BA in sociology with a minor in criminology, with hopes to earn a Ph.D. in Sociology.

I love education and I want to spend the rest of my life in academia. I'm crazy.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
BA in Fine Art with a concentration in Studio Art, i.e. Painting and Sculpture. A fine artist is always working in the field...whether you make a living at it is a different question! :D

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
BS in Economics
BA in Psychology

Strange combination for sure. I now work as an analyst in Sales, negotiating and analyzing corporate contracts. My portfolio is worth about $45 Million.

I definitely enjoy it, but to be honest I don't use any knowledge from my degrees. They just helped me land the job.

Last edited:

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
What was your major in college?

AS in child care
BS in psychology
MA in special education

Now working in homes with children with autism, hoping to become a behavior analysts

It's all intermingled somehow..

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I haven't finished college yet, so I'll just tell you what my major is now.. "Criminal Justice". No idea if I'll actually be doing anything in my field.

----------

Associate in Arts, 2013
Currently working on a BA in sociology with a minor in criminology, with hopes to earn a Ph.D. in Sociology.

I love education and I want to spend the rest of my life in academia. I'm crazy.

This sounds just like me, exactly like me lol.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Graphic Design and Illustration. Worked many years as a Teacher, Art Director, Photographer and Macintosh Consultant. Went back for Music Theory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.