Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks: It has been discovered that on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

In some cases, when you try to quit a process, it automatically relaunches. If that is the case, you can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want, including the app you want to delete:

• System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

Once you've removed the app from the startup list, restart your Mac and proceed with the uninstall process below.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.

Thanks again for posting this greta tutorial.

I have one issue that I can not understand.

After having looked for "pieces" of an application with the above mentioned criteria, I can not find anything else using standard Finder search.

I have tried to open one simple document folder, I typed the name of a file in it and nothing appears.

What am I doing wrong?

I am under Yosemite.

Edit:
By the way, if I reboot and perform the same search, I find everything. What happens?

Thanks,
Daniele

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have one issue that I can not understand.
After having looked for "pieces" of an application with the above mentioned criteria, I can not find anything else using standard Finder search.
I have tried to open one simple document folder, I typed the name of a file in it and nothing appears.
What am I doing wrong?
I am under Yosemite.
Edit:
By the way, if I reboot and perform the same search, I find everything. What happens?
Your inconsistent search results could indicate a need to try re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

TCookingham

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2007
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:...

I appreciate all the great information that has been posted here about uninstalling apps.

Is there an update to this procedure for OS X 10.10 Yosemite?
It appears as though the find methodology has changed somewhat from Mavericks 10.9.

Last edited by a moderator:

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
I appreciate all the great information that has been posted here about uninstalling apps.

It appears as though the find methodology has changed somewhat from Mavericks 10.9.

i would like to know this, too.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

In what way do you see that the find methodology changed in Yosemite?

TCookingham

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2007
Actually I am still in Mavericks, but was doing a search on a similar computer in Yosemite. Most likely it's my user error, but when I get to step #5 in your procedure, I don't see a + button, just a greyed out - button. Thus, I can't select "Name" etc. as shown in Attachment #357383

What might I be doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 1.35.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 1.35.12 PM.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 315

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Actually I am still in Mavericks, but was doing a search on a similar computer in Yosemite. Most likely it's my user error, but when I get to step #5 in your procedure, I don't see a + button, just a greyed out - button. Thus, I can't select "Name" etc. as shown in Attachment #357383

What might I be doing wrong?
It should certainly be there. Does it appear if you put the cursor in the window where your search terms are?

TCookingham

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2007
No. Still no joy and no + sign.

However, i can get the plus sign to appear in some tabs of other finder windows. It seems totally random when it will and won't appear.

I'm re-indexing my drive according to the Apple Support instructions posted earlier in the thread. Then I'll do a restart and post the results.

Thanks for your help anyway.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It should certainly be there. Does it appear if you put the cursor in the window where your search terms are?

It should be noted that your method, whilst safer than the automated apps, misses some things (at least under Mavericks and Yosemite). I believe Apple is no longer indexing certain parts of the file system with spotlight, particularly in /Library, /var etc (or at least not displaying them to the user during searches).

I still basically use the method in your how-to, but instead of finder search, I have switched to if iFileX:
http://www.osxbytes.com/page3/

It picks up a lot of stuff that Finder does not (I have compared them side by side).

Also, I have found another really good app for uninstallation, but this time .pkg files (which can be a hassle to remove completely even with your method).

UninstallPKG: http://www.corecode.at/uninstallpkg/

It seems like a front end to pkgutil:
https://wincent.com/wiki/Uninstalling_packages_(.pkg_files)_on_Mac_OS_X

It is much safer than the other automated methods because it gets its file list from the pkg receipt in /private/var/db/receipts and it also allows you to fully review what is going to be removed prior to it deleting the files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It should be noted that your method, whilst safer than the automated apps, misses some things (at least under Mavericks and Yosemite). I believe Apple is no longer indexing certain parts of the file system with spotlight, particularly in /Library, /var etc (or at least not displaying them to the user during searches).
If you read post #16, you'll see that is addressed in the first part of the post.

Gildas

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
TERRIBLE GGJstudios

just subscribed to this forum to let u know that ur work is terribly appreciated
U manage and know the subject at 200%

thx again for all those infos

Cheers

Last edited:

MacFillip

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
atop the grateful castle
I just tested a few of these, using Skype.app as the file to be deleted.

AppZapper found 4 items
AppCleaner found 6 items
AppDelete found 9 items
EasyFind found 16 items
Finder found 17 items

Holy Guacamole! After reading your post I downloaded EasyFind. Yeowza! Love the way it highlights the keyword. It also finds the .dmg, as well as other files that CleanMyMac3 (CMM3) never listed.

(side note: came to this thread from this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cleanmymac-cleaned-too-much.709930/ - which ironically CleanMyMac cleaned too little)

GGJstudios, thanks for turning me on to EasyFind, I used it to delete CMM3. :)

It's custom where I come from to show thanks and appreciation with a bow... m(_ _)m

PS: I don't want to get into a discussion on the merits vs demerits of CMM3. I never had any problems with it. I personally liked the program, but as of today I'm moving on with a "mo betta" solution...EasyFind. And the best part it's free.

mac mini late 2012 using SSD as main hard disk - 10.10.5

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And for Adobe CS6?
  • IMPORTANT: Mac OS has new uninstall functionality. DO NOT drag applications to the trash to uninstall them. To safely uninstall on Mac OS X, double-click the product installer in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers or double-click the Uninstall alias located in the Application folder. Select Remove Preferences, then Authenticate as an Administrator and follow the onscreen instructions.

indiana7

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2017
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and later: It has been discovered that on these versions of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app such as EasyFind until this issue is resolved.

1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

In some cases, when you try to quit a process, it automatically relaunches. If that is the case, you can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want, including the app you want to delete:
    • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)

Once you've removed the app from the startup list, restart your Mac and proceed with the uninstall process below.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.

Hello! I would like to ask you if I could use this way for High Sierra 10.13.2? Thank you!

IwillNeverRememberThis

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and later: It has been discovered that on these versions of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app such as EasyFind until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for posting this. I followed these instructions to remove CamMask - a virtual webcam package which refused to go away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Luba

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hello,
I'd like to offer my take but I don't know if it will fit the specifics of this thread if it's meant to be read by newbies. Anyway, my solution involves Unix command line and features such notions as an «application bundle id» which is usually the developer's name put in accordance with a reverse domain names system notation. If a straight domain names system notation looks like «forums.macrumours.com» then the reverse of that will be «com.macrumours.forums» and this is how names of many folders and property lists generated by the installed application in question appear in your system.
With that in mind, here's a template I decided in favour of a while ago. The version of the command below only finds related files and folders:

Code:
sudo find -Ex / -iregex '.*(target_app_bundle_id*(target_app.?name)?.*|target_app.?name(.*|\.app))' ! -iregex '.*(browser1|browser2|browser3|browser.?4|any_folder_to_exclude_from_results).*' -prune

Designation:

target_app_bundle_id - application bundle id. Usually only a part of it matching the developer/company name proper (e.g. «macrumours») omitting such suffixes as com, org, net etc. is sufficient.

target_app.?name - if the name of the application consists of two words with 1 whitespace character between them then its support files and folders may either contain the whitespace or may not. The combination «.?» in the application's name considers this possibility.

Since you most probably would like to exclude browsing results in order to focus solely on local files it's better to leave out these entries too. To do it you need to include names of all browsers installed in your system. The name browser.?4 accounts for a slight chance that the name is two words separated by the 1 white space symbol.

I discovered that occasionally a name of an application could be confused by the command with a name of a completely unrelated resource and add an unintended entry to the results pool. Oftentimes this happens with folders whose names are part of the pathname. To diminish a risk of this unwanted inclusion I added the opportunity for the command to ignore all paths with the designated folder: you have to specify the folder's name by placing it instead of the placeholder any_folder_to_exclude_from_results. The unwanted folders can be any folders containing irrelevant files and subfolders, such as "Developer" and "Pictures".

The posted command doesn't exhaust some peculiar situations and in these situations requires fine tuning, especially if the program creates folders the names of which contain only part of a usual naming scheme. The keyword "sudo" will prompt for your administrator password to perform search in the folders outside of your home folder where an application, as a rule, also installs its files and folders. Therefore, execute this command with caution and not before thoroughly investigating the application's installation schemes.

When you're confident that the search result is correct append the extension
Code:
-exec sudo cp -R {} .Trash/ ";" -exec sudo rm -R {} ";"
to the command above and run it again. Put a space before the extension. This extended version will find the files and folders, remove them from their installation location and put to the Trash so you could see what's deleted and then erase for good should you decide so.

This solution won't do with regard to the likes of Adobe that has an extremely sophisticated and, for this reason, unfriendly installation scheme. In this situation, you have no choice but to fall back on using their provided uninstallers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.