Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Roku just became my #1 streaming content box again. I have very little reason to use my ATV or Chromecast now.

Simply add the new Google channel on your Roku, connect the channel via an https link and code to your Google account and now you have all your Google TV shows and Movies on your Roku without the need of any Google device. You can also purchase new movies and TV shows from Roku if you desire. And this isn't just US only people.

Today, Google announced that they’re bringing Google Play Movies & TV to the tiny streaming set top box (Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States only).

And as a bonus, Google gives you the first X-Men movie for free. Nice.

Link: http://phandroid.com/2014/10/31/google-play-movies-tv-on-roku/

Roku-Google-Play-Movies-TV.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141031_121707.jpg
    IMG_20141031_121707.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Roku just became my #1 streaming content box again.

Same here.

But I'm quite surprised at Google. I was planning to replace my Roku with an android TV device. Now I may not need to.

One things for sure. I no longer need my apple TV which I was only keeping around because of lack of a decent movie rental service on Roku outside the US.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Same here.

But I'm quite surprised at Google. I was planning to replace my Roku with an android TV device. Now I may not need to.

One things for sure. I no longer need my apple TV which I was only keeping around because of lack of a decent movie rental service on Roku outside the US.
I think this is a bigger deal for those of you across the pond in Ireland and the UK.
And I'm not surprised by the move to Roku. Google doesn't really care about hardware as much as they do about getting content into as many places as possible.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Saw this today and it made me very happy. I use a Roku 3 in my bedroom (no cable in there). Even though I don't have that many movies/tv shows on my account, it was the main reason that I moved my chromecast from the living room to the bedroom. It's nice that I have all my streaming services on one device. And as a bonus, my blu-ray player and chromecast don't have to share a HDMI slot anymore.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Was thinking about the Nexus player but I might just pick up the Roku streaming stick because of all the content options. I own a lot of video on the PlayStore as well as Amazon. Roku Stick is only $50.

danthe93

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
Same here.

IMO, I don't see Apple TV as particularly useful. Other stuff which is much cheaper can do the same job, if not better.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Office Depot is going out of business where I live. Picked up 2 Roku boxes for $30 after instant discounts. Google Play content works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.