Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Of the screen, about half an inch in diameter, almost like a "lens flare" that appears and disappears when some apps are opened or closed.

Does anyone else have this? It always vanishes in a second or two so I know it's not a screen issue?

TheIsingGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Of the screen, about half an inch in diameter, almost like a "lens flare" that appears and disappears when some apps are opened or closed.

Does anyone else have this? It always vanishes in a second or two so I know it's not a screen issue?

Yeah I have this since updated yesterday. I noticed that this white splotch as you called it can appear in several ways on mine:
1. opening the calculator app from control centre and closing it by pressing home button
2. opening and closing any apps by tapping on "open" from the AppStore update tab.

This is repeatable, I have not tried this on other iOS 7 devices so far but friends of mine have said that they haven't seen this.

Eresin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013

are you able to take screen capture? I'm not able to reproduce this from TheIsingGuy's steps

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Here's mine -- so far noticed it in FLixter, Yelp, and apple's own calculator app.

I would chalk it up to Flixter and Yelp not updating for ios 7 yet, but the calculator thing baffles me.

photo.PNG

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Ising Guy, did you happen to download the Gold Master version of IOS 7 from a website ahead of release date like i did?

That's the only thing I could figure, some sort of glitch in that version...

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
This bug has been in there since beta 1, but I think I have it figured out. When you open an app that is not on your home screen (eg opening Calculator from Control Center when it is placed in a folder), the opening animation is very similar to what we had in iOS 6 rather than the "zoom in on app icon" animation introduced in iOS 7. During that animation, the central icons AND the icon names underneath, all get scaled larger as the icons "zoom" away. It looks like the white splotch you guys are seeing is the tail end of an app name (way zoomed in). The app seems to be located in the second row from the top, second from the left. And, this only happens when the app has a long name (like Google Maps). If you put an app with a shorter name, like Settings, in that spot and repeat, you won't see the white splotch.

Incidentally, you can also get the white splotch problem in the top right of the screen if you put an app with a long name in the second row from the top, second from the right. I hope Apple fixes this bug in a later release. While it doesn't hurt functionality in any large way, it is definitely annoying visually.

image.jpg

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Guys, I've had this bug for ages as well. I managed to get rid of the bug by resetting the home screen layout found in settings. Obviously you'll have to reorganize your apps again. :)

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Resetting home screen did NOT work. Not so thrilled about having to reorganize all my apps now. I do not suggest anyone else try this

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Yes, I have this too..but this is so minor, why does it even bother you? I mean, I consider myself picky about visual elements..but this is so forgettable.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Resetting home screen did NOT work. Not so thrilled about having to reorganize all my apps now. I do not suggest anyone else try this

Oops. Sorry! I'm actually at a loss here cause i was pretty sure thats how i fixed it. Kept on happening before when i exited whatsapp on the second screen back to the home screen.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Someone posted this on the apple message boards and it totally fixes it, how insane is that?

"I have found a fix. If you have google map app on second row and second column of your first page of apps, move it to another place, and the white blotch goes away. Don't ask me why :)"

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
So it does! It's definitely an artifact from the zoom transition, as MacDevil figured out. Placing Google Maps (or any other app with a name containing that many characters--I get the same result with the "Catch the Bus" app) into the row two, column two spot and launching the calculator app from the control center icon consistently reproduces the artifact. Apple must not have programmed that bit of the UI with enough tolerance for long app names.

Resetting the home screen would probably work simply because it placed an app with a shorter name in that spot on the screen.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So it does! It's definitely an artifact from the zoom transition, as MacDevil figured out. Placing Google Maps (or any other app with a name containing that many characters--I get the same result with the "Catch the Bus" app) into the row two, column two spot and launching the calculator app from the control center icon consistently reproduces the artifact. Apple must not have programmed that bit of the UI with enough tolerance for long app names.

Resetting the home screen would probably work simply because it placed an app with a shorter name in that spot on the screen.

Yep, looks like it has to do with how long the name of the app is in the row 2, column two and three spots because the Calculator app launches from between those two apps when launched from Control Center.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
It's just started happening on mine since the update. Happens everytime I unlock the phone, its we'll annoying!

*edit* - Moved Google Maps off the front page and it no longer happens.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Yep, looks like it has to do with how long the name of the app is in the row 2, column two and three spots because the Calculator app launches from between those two apps when launched from Control Center.

Confirmed on my Touch with Amazon Instant Video. It was fine in R3C2, and I didn't observe the splotch until I moved it to R2C2 and R2C3, which made the splotch transiently appear during the animations in the upper left and right corners, respectively. I normally have Photos in R2C2 and Google (not maps, just Google) in R2C3, and that's fine.

tullyhansen

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Necroposting (joining the forums, even!) only because this thread was top of my search results for an answer to this issue (still occurring for me on iPhone 5 under iOS 8.1). Testing (along with Yosemite's iOS screen recording feature) seemingly confirms that the blob artifact appears when exiting apps launched indirectly (e.g. via Spotlight or Control Center), and is caused by long app names in the second or third position of the second home screen row being drawn prematurely/poorly:

tumblr_neld7w9y3j1qzes98o1_400.gif

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.