Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You mean a better "spreadsheet app?" That's very debatable.
I'm an accounting professional and I have nor seen anything Excel can do that Numbers can't. This includes 500 level Statistics classes normally taken by pre doctoral students.
Pivot tables maybe? But that's more of a formatting issue.

The nice thing is when you come up with something and quote it off. By the way, Excel has hundreds of functions that Numbers doesn't.

JustinCPA

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
PA, USA
The nice thing is when you come up with something and quote it off. By the way, Excel has hundreds of functions that Numbers doesn't.

Just none that anybody actually uses.

As for Skype, yeah, these new ads are great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 9.27.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 9.27.12 PM.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 113

Alex88

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Skype Update

I for one am happy to hear this news, because even though I often use Facetime or imessage for connecting with friends and family via my iPhone nowadays, I still rely on and use Skype for business purposes via my Mac laptop on almost a daily basis, and have been for about 5 years. While I have certainly heard of other users being unhappy and/or unimpressed with Skype, I personally have gotten a lot of constructive use out of it and therefore anything they may do to evolve and further enhance the FREE service is alright by me ;)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just none that anybody actually uses.

As for Skype, yeah, these new ads are great.

So that's why people on the Mac generally gravitate toward Excel and shun Numbers ... because Excel doesn't do anything more than Numbners in the category of what they need. Sure, let's go with that.

JustinCPA

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
PA, USA
So that's why people on the Mac generally gravitate toward Excel and shun Numbers ... because Excel doesn't do anything more than Numbners in the category of what they need. Sure, let's go with that.

Or that's what their bosses told them to get. Eventually Office will go the way of Lotus.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
It says the system requirements are 10.5.8...try downloading the standalone, instead of the update?

Can't find the standalone link. When I check update in Skype app, it says I'm using the latest version. It's been a few weeks already so I guess I need a newer version of OS X.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Awesome, will have to check it out later. I don't suppose you can finally choose whether or not to log in invisible instead of having to remember to go invisible before you log out :)

Better still would be if they'd remove the stupid cat that appears if you do a :3

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You mean a better "spreadsheet app?" That's very debatable.

Heh. No it isn't. Office kicks iWork to the curb. Even Keynote has stagnated and has been downgraded enough for PowerPoint to catch up. Office is a far better office productivity suite than iWork.

JustinCPA

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
PA, USA
Heh. No it isn't. Office kicks iWork to the curb. Even Keynote has stagnated and has been downgraded enough for PowerPoint to catch up. Office is a far better office productivity suite than iWork.

It's still debatable.
But I'll concede in the interests of peace.

Let me ask everyone this... Why doesn't Apple improve Numbers?

Is there a free office suite like LibreOffice that isn't written in Java?

Looks like Skype 7.1 was just released (mostly related to being compatible with OS X Yosemite): http://blogs.skype.com/2014/10/29/skype-7-1-for-mac/

The Ads are probably bigger.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's still debatable.

The Ads are probably bigger.

Could you at least pretend to try to be objective?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It's still debatable.
It isn't debatable really, its clear pretty much straight away to anybody who has used the latest versions of iWork and Office. But okay. :)

Apple now cater for consumers rather than professionals (or both). I guess they don't see any point in doing it. Competing against Office would be a waste of time anyway.

Google Docs or Office Online may be good alternatives. They're both web apps but they're not Java.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.