Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Ok you seem to be just attacking my response. I didn't deny that less than 10 people legitimately reported the issue to apple, for a fault not of their own. I was just simply (attempting to be humorous) pointing out that it got way blown out of proportion and over exaggerated by the media. I never stated that thin phones were ok to bend. You should probably calm down a little
That's the trouble with a written article, unless you add humour bubbles or light-hearted smilies it is easy to read the comments in whatever tone you desire.
I wasn't attacking your response in the slightest, merely passing a point.
Nothing negative on my part sorry.

Phones never bent in the past? You might want to look that up first, before you go spouting off something like that. It's been well documented that other phones have indeed bent before this whole overblown drama.
I mean most phones in general.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Phones never bent in the past? You might want to look that up first, before you go spouting off something like that. It's been well documented that other phones have indeed bent before this whole overblown drama.

However the other major offender was the iphone 5, which is where the term "bendgate" was coined. And it was happening right at the volume rocker which is an obvious weak spot.

Now if you owned a business and produced a product that you got several reports of this would you make subsequent designs more or less prone to this happening?

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
That's the trouble with a written article, unless you add humour bubbles or light-hearted smilies it is easy to read the comments in whatever tone you desire.
I wasn't attacking your response in the slightest, merely passing a point.
Nothing negative on my part sorry.

I mean most phones in general.

And I answered in general. Phones HAVE bent in the past, regardless of whether you think they didn't.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
A weight difference between a 64 gb model and a 128 gb model? Someone is surprised by the fact that more memory chips = more overall mass?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Quite true. But how lucky for Apple to be able to suddenly find a composition that is not only stronger, but happens to weigh exactly the same as the previous composition.

If you have a bowl of sand, and a bowl of iron granules. You want to have more sand, but you want it to weigh the same. All you have to do is... pour a smaller amount iron, and then pour more sand so that the weight is the same, but there is just more iron. Its not that hard. Bad merchants have done it in the past when they sold food that was "weighted", its not so difficult to grasp.

Last edited:

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
If you have a bowl of sand, and a bowl of iron granules. You want to have more sand, but you want it to weigh the same. All you have to do is... pour more iron, and then pour more sand so that the weight is the same, but there is just more iron. Its not that hard. Bad merchants have done it in the past when they sold food that was "weighted", its not so difficult to grasp.

Oh my. Where did you get your MechEng/MatSci degree? (Mine's from Clarkson)

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I just received my iphone 6 + yesterday, it is the second run of iphone 6 plus.

There is no 'second run'. Phones are produced *constantly*. There's literally no time when a phone isn't being started and there's literally no time when a phone isn't being finished/tested/boxed..

It's *constant*.

----------

If you have a bowl of sand, and a bowl of iron granules. You want to have more sand, but you want it to weigh the same. All you have to do is... pour more iron, and then pour more sand so that the weight is the same, but there is just more iron. Its not that hard. Bad merchants have done it in the past when they sold food that was "weighted", its not so difficult to grasp.

Think you meant...

You want 100g of "stuff".

First run, you add 30g of iron, and 70g of sand. That's 100g.

Second run, you add 50g of iron, and only 50g of sand. It's STILL 100g, but the ratio of iron to sand is way higher.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yes, but if you are not trying to bend it and it happens by accident then it clearly needs addressing.
Having a thin phone does not give it the right to be accepted if it bends.
Phones have never bent in the past so why should it be expected now irrespective of how thin they are getting?
The simple answer is 'if' it can bend then don't manufacture it.

Actually there are instances of iPhone 5 and 5s models bending. It's not exclusive to the 6 and 6 Plus models, though not as widely reported.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Oh my. Where did you get your MechEng/MatSci degree? (Mine's from Clarkson)

Just using a pointless, simple example to show how you can keep the same weight while changing composition.

----------

Think you meant...

You want 100g of "stuff".

First run, you add 30g of iron, and 70g of sand. That's 100g.

Second run, you add 50g of iron, and only 50g of sand. It's STILL 100g, but the ratio of iron to sand is way higher.

Exactly, weight is not going to be what "unsilences" a silent fix, and neither is color. Now if the supplier of the alloy were to give it away, then yes there would probably be a massive recall, but these agreements are likely to come with a huge contractual punishment if it were leaked, likely with the one company and parties responsible for the recall of all the iPhone 6+ that have been released without the "alloy" change. This isn't like any part leaks we've seen in the past. No one wants to be stuck with this kind of debt, it is a perfect reason for suppliers or parties responsible for changing the composition slightly to strengthen the frame to be "hush hush".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.