Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usl57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I want to remove the Incase Hardshell Case on my Macbook but
i can't do it. The instruction suggests to pull the hook away
from the corner to remove the case, but it is extremely difficult and i also hurted my finger nails.

How can i remove this freakin case?
I needs some suggestions

Thanks guys:)

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
First, make sure your MacBook is on a soft cloth preferably on the floor or a carpet to prevent it from sliding or falling.

Open the MacBook top cover and be careful of the screen. Now reach in the corner and pull the hook away from the corner one at a time. The case should slide off. You might want to use a piece of stiff cardboard instead of your fingernails. Just be careful not to scratch or mar the MacBook plastic case.

I just thought of something... you did remove the 4 rubber corner tabs when you installed the case, right?

Regards.

cls4h5

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Use a credit card to remove hard-cover case.

I had this exact same problem with my case. The corners are very hard to separate and remove and I definitely tore my nails up trying to remove this case. I finally found a very simple solution -- Use a credit card to slide in and pop out the corners. It couldn't have been easier!

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Brute force and ignorance!

Also, you will need ductape and a hammer! A hammer to smash it apart and ductape to fix it!

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I have an inCase case on my WhiteBook. I play guitar and I've noticed that using a few guitar picks to push inbetween the corners of the laptop and the case works really well. I had the same problem and until I stumbled across this lol.

Geez, I didn't notice how old this thread was lol

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I have an inCase case on my WhiteBook. I play guitar and I've noticed that using a few guitar picks to push inbetween the corners of the laptop and the case works really well. I had the same problem and until I stumbled across this lol.

Geez, I didn't notice how old this thread was lol

This idea is/was ingenious, and I just used some guitar picks I had around the house to remove my case.

So I guess I'm bumping the thread. Lol... sorry?

EricBenjamin

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
***DO NOT USE A KNIFE***

I mean it seems obvious... but I felt like I had tried everything.

The apple store couldn't get it off, credit cards / guitar picks, my fingernails.. you name it. that piece of **** wouldn't come off.

I watched a video on youtube where some dumb bitch snaps hers right off and ridicules those of us that were unable to remove ours. I ended up using a very blunt knife covered in microfiber to pry at the tabs.. i made a 1mm long scratch on my screen, which i deserved for being a moron and trying the knife. I'm so frustrated with incase.

Incipio made a feather light case for the Macbook and MBPs that comes off almost too easy.. and I highly recommend anyone interested in a similar case buys the incipio one.

After this ordeal I'm entirely done with cases, and I'm using a slip cover (microfiber pillow case) from RadTech.com It has been extremely reliable, comes off when I want it off, and is only on when I want it on. No added bulk, no hassle taking it off, and no more scratches on my screen.

So how did I get my incase hardshell off? with a hacksaw. not kidding. I gently sawed the pile of **** in half, stopping before I made contact with my mbp, then used an exacto blade to skim the hairline of plastic left and BAM! my incase hardshell was no longer stuck on my MBP.

eff incase. eff this bitch on youtube (she is obviously fat too). and PLEASE don't ever put one of these on your macbook!

I wish I had taken pictures of my process before burning the piece of s**t... well technically I sent it back for a refund, with a letter explaining why it's now in 3 pieces instead of 2.

jonathanweigh

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Use a thinner plastic card

I used my ACE rewards card, which is half thinner than typical credit cards. It is fairly easy to insert the cards into the top corners and slide it towards the clip to remove the case.

michaelshaoster

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
!!!

i can't ... i ll try again with a cardboard. it heat up while watching movie with the incase one eventhought it have holes to let the heat leave under.

desertratr

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
I tried a credit card, but it was a bit too thick. My NRA membership card worked perfectly. The card is about half the thickness of a credit card but still stiff plastic. Not a mark on it.

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
LOL So I just got an incase cover for my macbook yesterday and put it on just fine. But I too can't seem to get the damn thing off. I didn't try for too long, but I tried watching videos and their methods didn't seem to work for me. I'll have to try the credit card thing, but I need to find a credit card I don't need in case I break it somehow.

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
LOL So I just got an incase cover for my macbook yesterday and put it on just fine. But I too can't seem to get the damn thing off. I didn't try for too long, but I tried watching videos and their methods didn't seem to work for me. I'll have to try the credit card thing, but I need to find a credit card I don't need in case I break it somehow.

I managed to get the bottom off. But the top won't budge! They really make them to stick on there!

kreamsoduh

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
I managed to get the bottom off. But the top won't budge! They really make them to stick on there!

I had the same problem and then I used a savings club card (i.e. a CVS card) except the keychain portion of the card. Try using that instead of a credit card because it is thinner and more flexible so it should come off relatively easily. I will most certainly never be putting this case back on that's for sure.

Hope this helps.

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
I had the same problem and then I used a savings club card (i.e. a CVS card) except the keychain portion of the card. Try using that instead of a credit card because it is thinner and more flexible so it should come off relatively easily. I will most certainly never be putting this case back on that's for sure.

Hope this helps.

If I manage to get it off I won't be putting it back on either. Perhaps my Best Buy reward zone card would work. I'll give it a shot.

pembrokeget

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
the card method works

worked like a charm for me too, got a little nervous in the beginning but the stupid cover did come out in the end

aqnguyen87

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
I had this exact same problem with my case. The corners are very hard to separate and remove and I definitely tore my nails up trying to remove this case. I finally found a very simple solution -- Use a credit card to slide in and pop out the corners. It couldn't have been easier!

This method has been the most effective I've tried on this page. It should be noted that the CC you use will most likely be bent to the point of unusability. So be sure to use an expired card or one that you have no use for. Simply slide in to one to the open sides and push along the corners and the clips will open very quickly, open two of the corners and the rest will simply fall off. Good luck!:D

zeshan

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks a Bunch! Credit Card did it for me :)

After nearly ripping my nails off .... I had no choice but to google the solution to getting this cheap case of my macbook air. Just when I was cursing at myself for putting this thing on ...... and also nearly ripping my nails off .... I googled like a good netsizen and here I found the easiest solution .. took me literally 20 seconds to get the thing off which I had been fighting for 20 mins!

Jessrules

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2017
OMG GUITAR PICKS WORK real good so slide the tip in before the tab thing and slide across toward stubborn tab it dosent always do it straight way so do it a few times if it dosent work and then for me it was hoorah

mabrurh

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
from the corner to remove the case, but it is extremely difficult and i also hurted my finger nails.

I needs some suggestions

I struggled with a case like this, I eventually had to break it at two ends to get it off. But the case I later attached wouldn't come off either, bringing me to this post.

I've tried cards, cardboard, my fingers and everything else. What worked like a charm was using a plastic straw! I just put a flattened end in, and worked in around the corner and it popped right open!

Filled me with joy :D

Hope this helps!

VampireQueen

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2018
After feeling like my non excistant nails were going to break and looking at different not so useful videos I came here and tried someone’s tip to use a credit card. Worked a treat and didn’t mark my MacBook which I’d been afraid had happened with scissors I’d previously tried (not my brightest idea - luckily not a scratch on the MacBook).

katie2310

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018

Can 110% agree with this! I bought my case off wish, a cheap app, and it was literally stuck on my laptop! I tried everything when finally I came on this forum and tried it with a credit card! it works and got it right off!!! just have to apply the smallest bit of strength

yeeting the yeeted

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019

I needs some suggestions

I used my Yu Gi Oh card. Easily removed... i knew they were helpful someway...

Kat2296

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2019

You are an absolute champion! Worked so well!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.