Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDuniverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hello,

New to the Mac world, just picked up a mid '14 rMBP. I have a question about pics and where they should be saved. On a PC, you'd just go to your folder where they are saved and see all images. On the mbp, you import whatever pics into iPhoto and use that program.

My questions are is that the correct way to save pics on this system? Or do you save them in the pictures folder outside of iPhoto so you can access them without that particular program? For instance, sending an email, you want to attach an image...or uploading an image? I use a service called Appfiles for work, and sometimes images that are saved on my laptop need to be uploaded.

Any feedback is appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
On the mbp, you import whatever pics into iPhoto and use that program.
That's only if you want to use iPhoto. Many of us don't. You can import pics to any location you desire.
My questions are is that the correct way to save pics on this system? Or do you save them in the pictures folder outside of iPhoto so you can access them without that particular program?
You can use any photo app you want. Most of the time, I use Preview for picture viewing and basic editing. I don't use iPhoto at all. When I sync my iPhone or iPad, photos automatically upload to Dropbox, where I can access them from anywhere.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I save all my photos in the /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Pictures folder. I use sub folders inside it and it seems to work fine for many years. The sub folder are Desktop Pictures, PixelMator Projects, Family Home Pictures.

I am starting to really consider a Synology NAS to move my picture saving go that besides iCloud or Dropbox.

KDuniverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I removed them from iPhoto and have them just in the folder. They were of no use in iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.