Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
I'm thinking the one with the 3.2 i5, 16 gb ram, and 1TB fusion drive for $1869. I'm just a general internet user, not a gamer. I currently have a 2007 iMac that seems to be slowing down in Safari due to 4GB limit on ram.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Just was thinking about this question I posted. Wondering now if waiting for the base model Retina iMac to appear on the refurb site may be the better idea?

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I have an late-2012 27" iMac with 24GB of RAM and a regular old 1T spinning platter. Once I saw the retina screen at the Apple Store, I put my iMac up for sale. I'll likely wait until next year to see what improvements are made before I buy (I have my Retina MBP to keep me company in the meantime). I would wait, if you can.

Edit to add: I'm on Yosemite, which, IMO, doesn't look so good on a non-retina screen.

jwp333

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
It's gone from the site, the other 2 $1869 options are still there. So the people have spoken, it must have some merit.

boazjoe

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
If you want the display on the RiMac, then you will need to wait; however, for the uses that you mention, the one on the RF Store is more than adequate and will be miles better then your 2007.

The key, IMHO, is the fusion drive. I have a 2012 27" with 16 gb and 3 tb fusion and could not be happier. I am not a true power user but do some video and fair amount of photos. Never misses a beat.

BTW, you could probably get a 4k TV AND the iMac you list for the price of the RiMac. For that matter, you could probably get a refurb Macbook Air and external monitor plus the iMac.

Of course, if you have the money to burn, it is an awesome machine. However, if you have it, you probably aren't looking for validation here.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.