Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Hey there guys and gals,

The push notifications for Macrumours.com ain't working for me... I click the button and nothing, nowt, nada. It doesn't appear in the notifications list under Safari Preferences.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

George

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hey there guys and gals,

The push notifications for Macrumours.com ain't working for me... I click the button and nothing, nowt, nada. It doesn't appear in the notifications list under Safari Preferences.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

Can you email me at arn@normalkid.com with a screenshot of what you are seeing.

thanks
arn

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Hi arn,

I have sent you an email with a screenshot of the webpage as it appears on my iMac.

Cheers,

George

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Same here. Not working for me either after a fresh reinstall of Mavericks.

Every time I press 'subscribe now' button, nothing happens. It seems like that button is broken.

Any fix Please?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
In case it helps, it is worth noting that the javascript implementing push is apparently hosted on a third-party site. If you run a firewall, extension, etc. that blocks that, you may see strange behavior. The push page does not even have a button for me to push. :)

A.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Same here. Not working for me either after a fresh reinstall of Mavericks.

Every time I press 'subscribe now' button, nothing happens. It seems like that button is broken.

Any fix Please?

Is there anything in your Safari -> Notifications window?

arn

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Haha, same as me! Just seems to be this website that's not got notifications working. Shame.....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yes, One website: 9to5mac!! no matter how many times you click subscribe button, nothing happens

Haha, same as me! Just seems to be this website that's not got notifications working. Shame.....

Try this.

- Close all Safari Windows
- Quit Safari
- in Finder, Hold Option button on your keyboard while opening the "Go" Menu bar
- Select Library
- Open the Safari folder
- Delete UserNotificationPermissions.plist (you'll have to resubscribe to sites)
- Open the RemoteNotifications folder
- Delete everything in RemoteNotifications
- Relaunch Safari, and load "www.macrumors.com"
- See if it asks you to subscribe to push
- If so, press Allow

Let me know what happens

thanks
arn

Last edited:

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Try this.

- Quit Safari
- in Finder, Hold Option button on your keyboard while opening the "Go" Menu bar
- Select Library
- Open Safari folder
- Open RemoteNotifications
- Delete everything in that folder (you'll have to resubscribe to sites)
- If so, press Allow

Let me know what happens

thanks
arn

I thought that worked as when I came back to the site it did ask me if I wanted to set up notifications. Then safari crashed and now it's not in my notifications.... strange. 9to5mac is back though (x4) for some reason.

George

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I thought that worked as when I came back to the site it did ask me if I wanted to set up notifications. Then safari crashed and now it's not in my notifications.... strange. 9to5mac is back though (x4) for some reason.

George

Try it again. Make sure you close Safari before doing the steps.

And also delete "UserNotificationPermissions.plist" from the Safari directory.

arn

eejits

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Try it again. Make sure you close Safari before doing the steps.

And also delete "UserNotificationPermissions.plist" from the Safari directory.

arn

Okay that worked this time....

Thanks arn,

George

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK

George

Bravo. Image my relief!!!! It works. Thanks a lot for your advices

umzyi

tron2

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Hey,

I tried these steps mentioned above to delete those files and reenable them in Safari. I am still not seeing any push notifications on my desktop from either macrumors.com or 9to5mac.com. They both are in the safari notifications preferences.

I just bought my first macbook pro retina 13 about 2 weeks ago, and I have not seen one single safari notification on my desktop. I really don't know on what is happening here.

Thanks,

tron2

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hey,

I tried these steps mentioned above to delete those files and reenable them in Safari. I am still not seeing any push notifications on my desktop from either macrumors.com or 9to5mac.com. They both are in the safari notifications preferences.

I just bought my first macbook pro retina 13 about 2 weeks ago, and I have not seen one single safari notification on my desktop. I really don't know on what is happening here.

Thanks,

tron2

Hi Tron2,

Email me and we can try to figure it out. Can you send me a screenshot on your Safari Notifications preference window, so we make sure we're on the same page:

arn@normalkid.com

thanks
arn

tron2

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Hi Tron2,

Email me and we can try to figure it out. Can you send me a screenshot on your Safari Notifications preference window, so we make sure we're on the same page:

arn@normalkid.com

thanks
arn

Let me see if I can post the screenshot here too.

Thanks

Attachments

• safari.png
    safari.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 271

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Let me see if I can post the screenshot here too.

Thanks

Also,

by default the push notifications appear only last a few moments before they go into the Notification Center.

fullscreen-notcenter-100048210-gallery.png

1. Tap on the Notification icon on the top right of the menu bar, and make the notification center slide out. scroll down there and make sure you don't see "MacRumors.com" notifications. If they are listed there, they came in, but you just missed the actual notice.

2. Also make sure you look in System Preferences -> Notifications. Scroll down and make sure "MacRumors.com" is listed and turned on there too.

If those look fine, it's certainly possible that we aren't sending them properly. But you will have to email me for us to figure that out.

arn

tron2

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
All the settings are there, but no notifications. I just sent you an email with screenshots.

Hope that information helps.

Thanks

badams002

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
TX
I, too, have not been getting any notifications from any website. Could it be because I told Safari to have websites stop tracking me? I was receiving them.

tudorizer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
UK
Try this.

- Quit Safari
- Select Library
- Open the Safari folder
- Delete UserNotificationPermissions.plist (you'll have to resubscribe to sites)
- Open the RemoteNotifications folder
- Delete everything in RemoteNotifications
- If so, press Allow

Let me know what happens

thanks
arn

Just did this now, still on Mavericks and the Notifications settings in Safari now looks like this: http://monosnap.com/image/mi9A8YqPot2Lno1pM5FxOaW8t9kF2v#. Looks broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.