Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
newbie to Mac here, I need to still Be able to use a handful of PC only programs and Parallels seems to be the answer.

I downloaded and initiated the trial installation, during which it asks how I want to install Windows. I pointed it at my PC using parallels transporter agent.

So far so good. I assumed that Parallels would transfer across just Windows itself from my PC ( I told the install I had already migrated files etc). However, it appears to be transferring the entire contents of the PC hard drive, all 330Gb of it.

It has hours and hours to go, obviously I've made an error, I'm wondering if I'd be better installing windows into Bootcamp, then Parallels from there.

However, Parallels does not have a cancel or stop button on the transfer window, which is still happily transferring data from th PC to the iMac.

Can I stop the transfer now without causing any problems to the iMac, if so how?

Will I be able to easily delete the data already transferred to get me back to where I started?

Thanks in advance. Steve.

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
Got this sorted. Just had to press the red close button in the Parallels window and a stop / cancel button magically appeared, allowing me to go back a stage and edit what is transferred over.

New to Mac, lots to learn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.