Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRockMan1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Nashville, Tn
This has been bugging me ever since I got my first Mac in 2011: applications sometimes automatically toggle the "keep in dock" setting for themselves. I suspect this happens for applications that I use often, but I'm not sure and I can't consistently get it to happen.

I like to use my dock for currently running applications, not as an application launcher (that's what Spotlight is for!). I want applications to leave the dock when I close them.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a way to prevent it from happening?

Mr Hildy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
United States
After some digging, I couldn't find any sort of system-wide setting that disables all applications from automatically being added to the dock. In my time, I've noticed that the majority of my apps do not add themselves automatically, just a couple. I do not believe that apps you use most often automatically add themselves, but that could be different per each application.

Unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to go through each one individually and remove them. However, once you make the change, you shouldn't have to do it again. Luckily it isn't very difficult to change, but I can understand how that could be annoying. I only have open applications in my dock, too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.