Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakeJLF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Recently after the iOS 8 update, my iPod 5 has been pretty much unusable. Everything crashes after a while, I can't play 3D games because they crash, even stock apps crash, camera too. Does 8.1 fix this??? :mad:

Note: it's 64 GB and blue

NeoX360

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
I have two different iPod touches with 8.1 and I don't see any of these problems. They both run not much different then 7.1.2 did.

One iPod touch I skipped 8.0 and installed 8.1 via iTunes. Afterwords I did a backup, then a restore to 8.1 and then restored my backup. All was running smoothly since and it knocked my other size down too as it was taking up 3+GB.

The other iPod i did an update and since it was basically new did nothing else.

As I said they both work very well. I am picky about lag and they are not too bad at all...

Hilux

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I do not own a iPod Touch 5 but I have many friends that do and they have ios 8.1 and it runs super smooth. Also my iPod touch 4 is on ios 6.1.6 and doesn't crash so I suppose it's what you use it for and the amount of stuff on it. Maybe try removing some stuff and doing a hard reset

monolithic

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
I have the iPod Touch 5 and it is actually super smooth on iOS 8.1 than on any iOS 7 release. Even the app crashes has reduced.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
my iPhone apps crash some times. I just turn it off and its fine. Most of the time its the wifi that's timing out or whatever.

Turn it off after you give it a full charge. Wait overnight and then see if it will work.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Recently after the iOS 8 update, my iPod 5 has been pretty much unusable. Everything crashes after a while, I can't play 3D games because they crash, even stock apps crash, camera too. Does 8.1 fix this??? :mad:

Note: it's 64 GB and blue

Some people recommend doing a complete wipe and install. ???
From what I've read, upgrades can result in legacy files being left behind or something to that effect which can cause issues.

Perhaps give that a try?

I've had a play with iOS 8 on iPT5 at the Apple store and although it was a bit laggy it wasn't too bad. Perhaps you could go to your nearest store and download at least one of the apps you're having probs with and see how it performs on their device. If there are no issues in store then you could try the wipe and reinstall on yours? Also take note of the iOS 8 version they have installed at the Apple store.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
even my ipod on 7.1.2 is laggy at times.. and i have to restart it every few days. There seems to be a memory leak that seems to kick in every so often. (i see the free memory drop from ~130 to 0 despite freeing it up all within a few seconds without opening any apps)

even dumb games like fruit ninja doesnt run good until a restart. Then it's fine - memory stays put at ~130 free until apps are opened of course

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
I didn't find it all the bad on mine, but it really gets no use lately. My shuffle and nano get more use. I like the idea of a backup phone if I need it, but with continuity my iPad serves the function of my iPod touch and has better battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.