Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Trying to purchase an FullPrice iPhone 6 on Verizon's website as an existing customer and its a huge pain in the butt. Keeps making me add a plan etcz. I chatted with a rep and they told me that to add the plan then when you get the phone don't use the sim that's in it out your current sim and it'll activate on that number.

Any one have any tips? I don't want to screw with my unlimited data. I need to get the phone @ full price for my gf.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
You didn't answer my question. LoL. Anyone having any issues ordering from verizon... why you can't just select an iphone at full price and check out with out adding a plan?

And apple has no stock and can't buy full price with out a plan.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You didn't answer my question. LoL. Anyone having any issues ordering from verizon... why you can't just select an iphone at full price and check out with out adding a plan?

My guess is that Verizon doesn't want AT&T and T-Mobile customers depleting their stock (the Verizon version is unlocked). Apple stores will sell full-priced Verizon iPhones without plans, but only in stores. not online.

The T-Mobile iPhone 6 (which can be purchased online from Apple) actually will work with Verizon if you already have an active nano-SIM card from an older phone, but it will register as an "unknown" device, which potentially would affect your ability to add features online.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
That's why I need to buy from Verizon. Not waiting in store lines.

Maybe I can call Verizon and speak to a rep and have them order me one. I am not an Att customer I am a long time Verizon customer.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's why I need to buy from Verizon. Not waiting in store lines.

Maybe I can call Verizon and speak to a rep and have them order me one. I am not an Att customer I am a long time Verizon customer.

That's probably your best bet if the Apple stores are out of stock in your area.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I tried that in person at a local VZW store and was told they could only sell them with contracts. I don't know if that's really true, but it makes sense.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Click on shop devices. Click on the device you want, click on full price. Add to cart. Select upgrade existing line. Click on upgrade discounted price and go to next page. make sure full price is selected. Decline or accept coverage, click continue. You current unlimited data plan will be listed. Then go to add features, and click on continue. You will pay full price, keep current plan, and then when phone arrives, give it to your GF and have her insert her sim card.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I take it you aren't tempted to add a new line with unlimited data using the apple.com "glitch" to get the phone at the subsidized price?

Dewfang

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014

I just bought Two ip6's from a local Apple Store at full retail (no commitment) to replace my old phones. When you go on apples website you select the phone you want and then the check availability link put in your zip code and it tells you if and where it's in stock.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
I just bought Two ip6's from a local Apple Store at full retail (no commitment) to replace my old phones. When you go on apples website you select the phone you want and then the check availability link put in your zip code and it tells you if and where it's in stock.

Umm Not with out adding a plan. Unless you can convince the sales person when you go to pickup the phone to cancel the order and sell to you at full retail.

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Went to my local Apple Store and waited 5 minutes to get my phone? Got a reservation pass the previous day and showed at opening in the morning. Was lovely.

Can also buy iPhones full price from BestBuy, but Verizon stores are not wanting to sell without some form of contract. This coming from personal experience at all 3 locations.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Umm Not with out adding a plan. Unless you can convince the sales person when you go to pickup the phone to cancel the order and sell to you at full retail.

That's true, but it gives you the option of proceeding without buying a plan, in which case it goes through at full retail price. That's how I bought my out of contract VZW 6 online for in-store pickup.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
That's true, but it gives you the option of proceeding without buying a plan, in which case it goes through at full retail price. That's how I bought my out of contract VZW 6 online for in-store pickup.

Have you been to their site lately? Its been re designed and now they MAKE YOU GET A PLAN and was told by a few reps to just cancel it after you get the phone its a "month to month" plan. Cause you paid Full Price for the phone. Which is a pain in the butt cause you have to do all that work and get a soft pull on your credit report just to get a phone.

I didn't have to go thru that when I got the iPhone last month on Verizon's site. All I did was select "Full Price Option" and check out. Done.

These companies make purchasing things a pain in the ass. JUST make enough damn phones so you don't need to worry about other carries coming and buying your stock and then resorting to making people buy a plan or make it impossible to get a phone outright.

----------

Click on shop devices. Click on the device you want, click on full price. Add to cart. Select upgrade existing line. Click on upgrade discounted price and go to next page. make sure full price is selected. Decline or accept coverage, click continue. You current unlimited data plan will be listed. Then go to add features, and click on continue. You will pay full price, keep current plan, and then when phone arrives, give it to your GF and have her insert her sim card.

Really, Ill try again....

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Have you been to their site lately? Its been re designed and now they MAKE YOU GET A PLAN and was told by a few reps to just cancel it after you get the phone its a "month to month" plan. Cause you paid Full Price for the phone. Which is a pain in the butt cause you have to do all that work and get a soft pull on your credit report just to get a phone.

I didn't have to go thru that when I got the iPhone last month on Verizon's site. All I did was select "Full Price Option" and check out. Done.

These companies make purchasing things a pain in the ass. JUST make enough damn phones so you don't need to worry about other carries coming and buying your stock and then resorting to making people buy a plan or make it impossible to get a phone outright.

----------

Yes, I did that a few times for friends who wanted the unlocked verizon 5S last year. Paid full price for it. When I received it, friends paid me, and they used it on a different carrier. Kept my plan.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

----------

It worked the way I described a couple of weeks ago. If it has changed since then - ? Not sure.

----------

----------

Just went through a mock purchase. It still works exactly as I said. You enter the phone number, it tells you you're not eligible for upgrade pricing and asks if you want to proceed at full price. It's actually pretty simple and quick.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011

Yes you can.

I found the model I wanted in stock, went there this morning at 9:20. They opened at 10 and started issuing reservations. The guy going down the line asked what model, capacity and carrier you wanted. I told him Verizon 6+ space gray 128, device only. It was in stock and after waiting a bit, I paid and walked out with two iPhones still sealed in plastic, unactivated and it didn't have a thing to do with my contract.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

As others have said, if you are near your local Apple store, just visit there and see if they have it stock. They WILL let you buy the phone outright.

2 weeks ago I went to the Apple store, I asked them I wanted Verizon (I am on AT&T), so they brought it out, I told them I will pay it full price. They did not have any problems and I was able to buy the phone full price.

So when Apple store does show stock, just go there and buy one.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

----------

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. If you have NO existing VZW plan at all, the online purchase will make you either select a new plan or buy the phone for an existing or new phone on an existing plan - if that's what you were saying, sorry for the misunderstanding.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Yes you can.

I found the model I wanted in stock, went there this morning at 9:20. They opened at 10 and started issuing reservations. The guy going down the line asked what model, capacity and carrier you wanted. I told him Verizon 6+ space gray 128, device only. It was in stock and after waiting a bit, I paid and walked out with two iPhones still sealed in plastic, unactivated and it didn't have a thing to do with my contract.

Yes but I don't have time to go to the store and wait an hour or more...

I checked that i stock now website showed they had the one i wanted and I went to the mall at 10am when they opened and there was a line of like 40 asians all lined up outside the store, I don't have time to wait behind all them. Makes me so mad.

It worked the way I described a couple of weeks ago. If it has changed since then - ? Not sure.

----------

Just went through a mock purchase. It still works exactly as I said. You enter the phone number, it tells you you're not eligible for upgrade pricing and asks if you want to proceed at full price. It's actually pretty simple and quick.

Like I said you can't just order full price on Apples website and pick up in store.. you have to not have an upgrade to do so and my account has an upgrade so it makes me choose at discounted price.

So what I did was on Verizon's website was chose my phone I wanted to "upgrade" since I have an upgrade avail, I chose "full price" and continued with my same plan, so hope it doesn't **** with my unlimited data.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yes but I don't have time to go to the store and wait an hour or more...

I checked that i stock now website showed they had the one i wanted and I went to the mall at 10am when they opened and there was a line of like 40 asians all lined up outside the store, I don't have time to wait behind all them. Makes me so mad.

So what I did was on Verizon's website was chose my phone I wanted to "upgrade" since I have an upgrade avail, I chose "full price" and continued with my same plan, so hope it doesn't **** with my unlimited data.

If it does just return the phone and you should get your unlimited data plan back. Worst case, if they won't restore your UDP then you can pick one up on eBay, SlickDeals, or even the MarketPlace here (if you have 250 posts). They are a dime a dozen right now because there is a glitch in the Apple.com ordering system that lets existing unlimited data plan holders add more unlimited lines when they buy new iPhones.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
If it does just return the phone and you should get your unlimited data plan back. Worst case, if they won't restore your UDP then you can pick one up on eBay, SlickDeals, or even the MarketPlace here (if you have 250 posts). They are a dime a dozen right now because there is a glitch in the Apple.com ordering system that lets existing unlimited data plan holders add more unlimited lines when they buy new iPhones.

I don't see the glitch... I am a UDP user and i selected on Apple.com "Add new line" and this is what I get... (see photo)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 2.37.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 2.37.00 PM.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 78

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't see the glitch... I am a UDP user and i selected on Apple.com "Add new line" and this is what I get... (see photo)

You need to select from the regular minutes plans and skip the More Everything data selection. Click Next and then the data plans appear. Unlimited iPhone is the last selection.

You need to be on the Individual Nationwide 450, 900, or Unlimited minutes, or the Family Share 700 or higher. For whatever reason, the Unlimited Minutes with Unlimited Text doesn't seem to be compatible, so if you have unlimited text, switch to something less temporarily.

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I don't know where you live that you have a line of 40 people outside your store at opening. I live in NY and I walked up at 9:50 to be second in line for a reservation. Store opened at 10 am. I don't see where you're pulling waiting an hour+ from considering that fact alone. I have a 6 that I bought outright from bestbuy with NO line, NO wait. Walked in, asked for phone, paid and left. I got my 6 plus. Walked in. 10 minutes later had the phone in hand. Sounds to me like you're being impatient, but unwilling to do the leg work. Everyone in this thread has given multiple options. Go to a store and buy a phone or order one, wait 2 months, and hope for the best. I'd personally prefer to deal with things in person to avoid issues like a family member of mine had when he ordered through T-Mobile.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I tried that in person at a local VZW store and was told they could only sell them with contracts. I don't know if that's really true, but it makes sense.

I don't think it makes sense at all. The carriers are trying to force you away from subsidized contract plans and make you buy the phone outright or on payment plan. in which case you are still paying full price just over a few months and once its paid off your monthly payment to them is cheaper. it makes sense that they don't want to sell full price phones to people who are not verizon customers and have no intention to use it on a verizon plan. If you are a Verizon customer and wanted to buy a phone at full price and they denied you I would be screaming to every manager I could find. Thats ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.