Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Am I nuts buying one now?

It seems unlikely that they'll drop a new one this year now so should I just go for it?

I really want to stream music and mirror my MBP on my TV.

Also, is the Apple HDMI a good idea given the longevity of their other cables? The price is reasonable and the aesthetics fit with the ATV.

Thanks

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
If they have some refurb's available, I say go for that.

If a 4 shows up, you can likely sell the 3 for most money back.

The apple cable is likely overpriced, as name brand ones tend to be, but if you like the looks etc, go for it.

(I get my cables at monoprice).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why not? It's only $100, less in the refurb store. They tend to sell for about as much as what they cost so even if you had it a few months, you could probably get most of your money right back out of it.

The biggest thing with new :apple:TV rumors is that there is always a new one seemingly impending but you wait and wait and wait. Get one, enjoy it between now and when a new one actually shows up, then sell it and get the next one. The difference in prices (probably a small difference) will be like renting the one you buy now between now and then.

If you buy a refurb at about $85, a new one comes out in 6 months and you sell this one for $60, it cost you $25 to enjoy the one you buy now for 6 full months. That's about $4/month.

It wasn't that long ago that CD jukeboxes (which could only play music) cost hundreds of dollars by themselves. What's the famous Nike catch phrase?

As to the cable, while there may be some truth that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, odds are high that a cheapo HDMI cable will send the signal to your TV just fine. Name brand cables tend to have name brand margins piled on.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel 100 bucks isn't anything to sneeze at but its not THAT expensive. Plus the ATV3 does exactly what you are looking for so why bother waiting?

There is no telling when the next ATV will drop and knowing Apple anymore everyone maybe clamoring to get an ATV3 once it does *cough cough Mac Mini ahem*. Regardless I'm not expecting a lot but HOPE I have to eat my words.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I picked up one a few weeks ago after I downgraded my cable to the bare minimum. Basically I'm saving $100/month so it paid for itself after one month! I'm really enjoying it.

I haven't been able to get my iTunes to work over home sharing yet, but I haven't tried to fix it. I've been using the iTunes radio and have mirrored my mini to watch a couple things. Plus Netflix and a few of the channels.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I just bought my second apple TV for my other receiver to make it airplay compatible. They're down to around $70 through the refurb store.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I got one!

Got it a couple of days ago and love it so far.

I've set up the Plex Media Server software and that makes it worth having alone.

Mirroring works a treat and I find it's much easier to use my iPhone to control it when browsing the menus and inputting passwords and stuff than the ATV remote.

All in all, I'm happy. :cool:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Am I nuts buying one now?

It seems unlikely that they'll drop a new one this year now so should I just go for it?

I really want to stream music and mirror my MBP on my TV.

Also, is the Apple HDMI a good idea given the longevity of their other cables? The price is reasonable and the aesthetics fit with the ATV.

Thanks

Any HDMI cable will work with it. I went with the Apple cable because the price difference isn't all that great, and I love how it looks like an extension of the Apple TV.

BGBUXA

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
Go for it

Since the Apple TV is only $100, I say pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed! It would be a possible different scenario if we were discussing Mac or iPad.

I have had mine for a year now and I love it, if you are looking for HDMI cables go to monoprice.com they have quality cables for cheap!

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have two third generation apple tv's, with one being hooked up to a av receiver with surround sound speakers, I could not be happier. If I was you I buy one now whether new or refurbished, the Apple tv is not something you keep updating every time something new emerges.

My only reason to buy a new Apple TV in the near future is if apple adds Ultra HD support and new codecs fingers crossed. Should you decide to get another Apple TV in the future, I would give the older Apple TV to someone else in your family if you are living still at home that is. That way you can share content and have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Living in Singapore here. I have been camping around the Apple Online Store of late waiting for a refurbished Apple TV to hit the list, but none have come. Still nothing. :(

I own the 2012 Apple TV (3rd gen), but only the 2013 version supports peer-to-peer airplay, which I am interested in using for my classroom next year. I don't really need it at the moment, so I figure I can wait to see if there is some christmas special. :p

If not, I will probably still get one anyways by the end of the year. I don't understand - why does the 2013 ATV support this feature but not the 2012 version? I thought the only difference was an A5x chip over the A5?

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I purchased 2 refurbs from apple. Saved some money that way and they work fine. Apple tv4 will probably not come till next year

Maggiep67

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Got mine today at Best Buy!! On sale 88.88 but had a coupon so I was able to get it for 79.99! Love it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.