Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Hello everyone,

Have a question for you all. Is there any solution for both my iPhone and iPad to automatically login to Internet connections with a separate login page? I am not talking about a password protected Wifi with a encrypted password, but rather an open wifi that takes you to a separate page to login every time.

In my university residential hall, I hate logging in every single time to use the Internet on my iOS devices, so much to the point that I barely use wifi on my iPhone (exhausting my monthly data) and almost never use my ipad. It is even more annoying that every time I put the device to sleep, I have to log in again.

I feel that this really takes away from the wonderful "always on, always ready" capability of these devices. Any help?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So what does that login page have--what do you have to do to get through it and use WiFi? How often would you need to do it?

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I need to enter my university ID and pass. Have to login at start of every session... Basically every time iwake from sleep and doesn't automatically connect (so no push notifications)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I need to enter my university ID and pass. Have to login at start of every session... Basically every time iwake from sleep and doesn't automatically connect (so no push notifications)
The problem lies with the way your university has chosen to implement security for their Wi-Fi network. You cannot have your iPhone or iPad automatically log in to such a network.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So once a day or literally every time you launch Safari or another app that uses data (even if minutes or seconds after you closed the last app)?

Any chance you can talk to the IT people there and see what they recommend for iOS devices or in general to avoid this kind of repetitive things (considering it's got to be something they would hear about all the time from students and faculty)?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Is most of this use in your room? Do you have a computer in that room? If so, how is it connected (wired/wireless)?

I'm thinking internet sharing via the computer, if it's possible.

michaelgill

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
The answer lies outwith iOS I'm afraid. I use Wi-Fi Web Login on my Nexus 4 which does the trick.

Cheers,
Mike

jklinck

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
This is a fairly common problem with public WiFi sites. Most have been designed assuming everyone is coming from a browser and can fill in the details. Its annoying to sit in an app that is not responding only to find out you've triggered one of these sign ons. For the most part they add no value or real security, usually they are there to satisfy a lawyer that you have agreed to their terms of services. There has to be a better way....

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is a fairly common problem with public WiFi sites. Most have been designed assuming everyone is coming from a browser and can fill in the details. Its annoying to sit in an app that is not responding only to find out you've triggered one of these sign ons. For the most part they add no value or real security, usually they are there to satisfy a lawyer that you have agreed to their terms of services. There has to be a better way....

It's a problem for the user but the provider could look at it as a usage-limiting feature.

nitschi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Sorry for the late reply and for digging out this old thread. ;)

You could take a look at this iPhone app:
http://subzero.eu/autowifi/AutoWiFi/Welcome.html

You have to enter your login credentials once and the just have to start the app as soon as you're connected to the WiFi. The app then logs in automatically - it's not 100% automated or perfect (since you have to start the app yourself) but it's much much faster and easier IMO.

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Sorry for the late reply and for digging out this old thread. ;)

You could take a look at this iPhone app:
http://subzero.eu/autowifi/AutoWiFi/Welcome.html

You have to enter your login credentials once and the just have to start the app as soon as you're connected to the WiFi. The app then logs in automatically - it's not 100% automated or perfect (since you have to start the app yourself) but it's much much faster and easier IMO.

I know someone that could really use something like this. Thanks for sharing.

drugrep

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
I have a similar sort of situation/question. Found this thread searching for an answer.

I work at a hospital with unsecured public Wi-Fi. There is no username/password but every single time iPhone/iPad goes off, and you turn back on, you have to "Agree" to terms before Wi-Fi connection is made.

Drives me nuts. Any way I can hold connection.

I am going to go to IT department and ask them if they'll register my MAC addresses to my devices but I doubt they will.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have a similar sort of situation/question. Found this thread searching for an answer.

I work at a hospital with unsecured public Wi-Fi. There is no username/password but every single time iPhone/iPad goes off, and you turn back on, you have to "Agree" to terms before Wi-Fi connection is made.

Drives me nuts. Any way I can hold connection.

I am going to go to IT department and ask them if they'll register my MAC addresses to my devices but I doubt they will.

If it's obtrusive, then it discourages workplace distractions :D

If you are on corp issued 'work' devices, then you are put on a different network segment and seamless.

iThat

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
AW-Open and its plugins might also be of some help if you don't mind your nose being open.

xuancong84

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
The method I use is to install both AutoWifi and Activator. In the activator, set a trigger, I use "swipe status bar to the right", and I associate it with two actions: 1. activate Wifi; 2. launch AutoWifi.

So far this is the most convenient solution to this problem in the world.:cool::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.