Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scenemissing

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
After having this drive me crazy for a while, I found others that were having the problem on Apple's forums. The symptoms are

1) 2012 Mac Mini
2) Fresh Upgrade to Yosemite
3) After being asleep for a while, waking the machine glitches out. Specifically, you can move the mouse, but that's it. The time is frozen, you can't launch or quit apps.

It turns out that it's a glitch in the audio driver. While everyone waits for a patch, the fix is to either unplug your speakers entirely, or to plug them into a monitor that's getting a HDMI feed if it supports that. Alternatively, run your monitor over another cable that isn't HDMI.

The core of the problem is having two audio interfaces seen on the Mini when it wakes up.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
After having this drive me crazy for a while, I found others that were having the problem on Apple's forums. The symptoms are

1) 2012 Mac Mini
2) Fresh Upgrade to Yosemite
3) After being asleep for a while, waking the machine glitches out. Specifically, you can move the mouse, but that's it. The time is frozen, you can't launch or quit apps.

It turns out that it's a glitch in the audio driver. While everyone waits for a patch, the fix is to either unplug your speakers entirely, or to plug them into a monitor that's getting a HDMI feed if it supports that. Alternatively, run your monitor over another cable that isn't HDMI.

The core of the problem is having two audio interfaces seen on the Mini when it wakes up.

Yes, lots of frustration over this at the Apple Forums. The problem also freezes the keyboard in addition to the mouse.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605926

Another reported workaround is to tap the power button to wake the Mac instead of touching the mouse or keyboard. With my Late 2012 Mini, either the power button tap or removing the 3.5mm audio headphone connection work for me. Yet for a few others, neither works.

Last edited:

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
I have the same problem. Thought in the beginning something was wrong with my diy FusionDrive but seeing that it's actually a software bug that hopefully is gonna be fixed soon is a lot more comforting.

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
I have the same problem. A quick search reveals thats its very common. Unplugging my speakers worked for me. Its not ideal, I will wait for the next update, plug them in again and see what happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.