Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Understanding losses of respect for, of confidence in, Apple

Are any of you beginning to really hate Apple, for whatever reason? …

I hate some of Apple's recent and ongoing damage to its software.

I hate some of the negative effects – uncontrollable by Apple – of that damage, on third party software.

In the iOS 8 sub-forum:

What's wrong with Apple?

I've been an Apple user since the first iPhone was released …

/ rant

iOS 3.1.3 here.

I'm certain that this much, at least, is wrong with the company: Apple no longer has a single, clear, shared vision for OS X.

A few months ago there was a good likelihood of me getting a device with iOS 8. Maybe two or more such devices.

Past

My confidence in the company's ability to produce the best was, nearly always, extremely high.

Present and future

My confidence in Apple's abilities was almost completely killed by the company's development and release of Yosemite. All things considered, that loss of confidence is pretty much irreversible.

… If it doesn't meet your needs, go somewhere else.

That's my plan.

6. Use a different calendar app?

iCal and Calendar have an unusual history. Apple did something stupidly regressive – twice – and for some use cases there was no third party product to plug the gap caused by the regressions.

Parts of Yosemite were so awful that I had no desire to test apps such as Calendar in the pre-release builds of the operating system. From what I read, following release, there's another stupid regression – another stupid removal of a feature. Whether a user feels the effect of this regression more, or less, than the past regressions will depend on the use case.

Without quoting hotpotato123's post in its entirety, I must say that it is entirely one of the best Apple-related posts that I have read this year:

With a thread like this, there can be a surface-level analysis where you think the OP had a rant, and you respond urging the OP to take a more even-handed view. …

– that's why suggestions such as 'go elsewhere' or 'write elsewhere' sometimes gain responses that equally terse, or harsh.

I don't hate Apple but I have come to realise they are not a serious computer company - although I only realised after spending thousands and thousands of pounds on their computers over the years. Use Apple computers if you must but avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, you'll just get let down in the long run. …

+1

There is a lot of love it leave it in this thread which is one of mortal fallacies. We all have a breaking point …

True. And harsh breakage may result in extremely harsh criticisms of Apple.

… OS X isn't even a fully-compatible UNIX with polish anymore. …

I was initially tempted to contradict – to draw attention to recent certifications. Then I noticed the word 'polish'. Apple certainly knows how to polish a product. Between the earliest pre-releases of Yosemite, and the first release, the set of improvements is remarkable; it's an expertly polished turd –

– and my perception of OS X 10.10 as a turd, or simply ugly, is far from solitary. The recent negativities from customers, negative responses to an Apple OS for Mac hardware, are without precedent.

I hate people starting idiotic threads like this one.

Terse and harsh: unsubscribe. Take your hatred of people elsewhere.

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
I don't hate Apple, but I've lost a lot of confidence in them. My first Mac was an SE/30, so I've seen Apple go through highs and lows. In the last year, I'd finished a 3-year transition to going all-in on the Apple ecosystem (iPad, iPhone, Mac Mini, MacBook, Apple TV), and am now regretting that decision.

I've seen a beautiful phone design (the 4) go to the meh of the 6. I'm not into the thinness fetish like Apple is, I'd rather have a phone that felt solid and gave great battery life. There's no way I'm getting an iPhone 6 or 6s. If my iPhone 5 doesn't last until the iPhone 7, I'm going to go with Android, much as I despise Google. Maybe the One Plus One. After initially using many apps, now I use just a few, and almost all of those have Android versions available, and in the end, a phone's a phone, anyway.

iOS is now slow, bloated, and buggy, and it's getting worse. Each major release now seems to break more things than it fixes, and by the time Apple gets the software working properly, it's time for another major release that breaks things again.

With Apple having disabled the Handoff/Continuity on the 2011 Mac Mini, which I was really anticipating, there's no reason at all for me to upgrade to Yosemite. iCloud Drive isn't worth it; I've gone with OneDrive in anticipation of the new Office coming out next year.

I love my Mini, but will NOT be upgrading to a 2014 Mini. Maybe no more Apple desktops. I have to have the MacBook for work, so I'll stick with that. It'll last for several years.

Apple is all about style now, and that is coming at the expense of focusing on hardware and software. Maybe the hipsters will buy blingy tech whether it works or not, but a lot of us won't.

So while I surely don't HATE Apple, I've lost trust in Apple's hardware design and marketing decisions, as well as their software division.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Not every person's story can be as eye-catching as the few that are occasionally promoted by Apple. But each story does deserve respect and understanding – by those who choose to take the time to read/listen.

With that focus on respect and understanding, consider the following moments of passion, of high emotion, in reaction to Apple products.

A September 2014 moment of joy

"THE HOUSE FINALLY HAS INTERNET AND ME AND MY BABY MAC ARE TOGETHER ONCE AGAIN XOXOXO"​

– to any person of influence within Apple who might read this topic: appreciate and – please – do not forget the happiness in words such as those. Recall the smiles that can be brought to people's faces by a combination of well-designed products.​

An October 2014 moment of revulsion

"Just updated my mac to yosemite. It is so ****ing ugly, sorry baby mac, its whats inside that counts remember, don't hate me"​
– same customer, same producer of software, different software.​

Pleas for Apple to cut the crap

We used t enjoy the I'm a PC-Im a MAC ads.
I think the boot is moving swiftly to the other foot.
As a immensely loyal Mac and iPhone customer I am …

…

"Come on Apple. You can do, (and used to do) much better than this!"​

P.S.: I don't see MacRumors exploring just how many other Apple customers are getting increasingly disgruntled. What happened to courageous, independent reporting?

For what it's worth: recalling the plateau in adoption rate that was observed three weeks after the first release of Mavericks, I guess that – to be taken seriously – the most careful reporters will refrain from 'probing' and/or in-depth coverage until after at least four weeks have passed since the releases of both iOS 8.1 and OS X 10.10.

… I've lost a lot of confidence in them. My first Mac was an SE/30, so I've seen Apple go through highs and lows. In the last year, I'd finished a 3-year transition to going all-in on the Apple ecosystem (iPad, iPhone, Mac Mini, MacBook, Apple TV), and am now regretting that decision.

… lost trust in Apple's hardware design and marketing decisions, as well as their software division.

From 2006:

Study: Apple customers are by far the most loyal of any computer company – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home – highlights (potential reporters: please take note of that article, and of others that focus on that approach to measurement of customer loyalty). With that stated …

… I choose the following words carefully. At least in MacRumors Forums, it appears to me that average and above average measurements of loyalty, in a past era, have been zero'd out – or worse – by Apple design directions in a post-Jobs era. That should not be misconstrued as a criticism of the leadership of Tim Cook; it's not targeting any individual.

There must remain, within Apple, groups of people (not necessarily seniors) who realise the wrongness of recent directions. This post is a plea of sorts for those people to do more to make heard, make read, their voices.

HappyPhil

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Redding, CA
How I learned to save $ and continue to love Apple

Yes, when the new guys got their chance to design without Steve Jobs input, they began a campaign of endless upgrades to eliminate joy and magic from Apple products. "No more skew-morphing. Who needs shading and gradients and legible type? Not us.", they emphatically stated. "We can do away with fun and elegant performance and use really thin lines and flat graphics to increase processor speeds."

Well, they sure did. But after screwing up my MacBook Pro with Mavericks, i got online, ordered a bigger HD, tossed the toxic Mavericks infected 500GB drive and installed Mountain Lion on the the 1 TB Hybrid . Got back Pages with the blue inkwell icon from Time Machine, plus all the other features that I know and love to use.

I like my interactive universe just fine with ATV 3, 4th gen iPod Touch (iOS 6), MacBook (10.8.05), MacBook Pro (10.8.05), and iPhone 5c (iOS 8.1). If I could install iOS 6 on my iPhone I would, but at least I know that the new stuff isn't really worth the loss of the great interface of iOS 6. When my time comes to upgrade my phone, I will likely trade for a 4s with iOS 6.

So, that is how I have avoided the frustration and saved a couple thousand dollars thanks to the new non-Apple, Apple. I am using Apples best OS and Apps on their best designed hardware with no desire to buy any new Apple products. Thank you Messrs Cook and Ive.

So you see, there is no need to hate Apple if you avoid the new PC and Android like crap they are designing and selling now. Be happy with your existing magical Apple products that were designed for creative people.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Hate is often a beginning of a new big love. For me, it's Note 4 now. A magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price. :D Thanks, :apple:.

Also, thanks to iCloud, I've developed a truly crossplatform, ecosystem-agnostic system for organizing myself. Many F's to Reminders, Calendar, Notes, Contacts, Bookmarks! Don't care for Google Calendar, etc., either. And whatever Microsoft has, too. (I have all 3 platforms and use them all for the tasks they each do best.) All this crap is just designed to choke you to death in the cobweb of their ecosystem, like a spider does to a stupid fly.

So, what doesn't kills us, makes us stronger. And I thank Apple for that. :rolleyes:

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
Yves or Jobs

A lot of the complaints that I read here and that I have myself can be attributed to Yves' takeover of software interface design and the resulting IOSification of OSX.

Recently I had to reinstall a C2D Mac Mini with the original Snow Leopard discs and I was surprised how snappy and clean the interface is. Yosemite with al the transparencies looks really distracting and cluttered. I regret upgrading beyond IOS 6 and OSX Snow Leopard. There are actually no compelling reasons for doing so other than security.

As for glaring screens - I have a 2006 20" Cinema Display for daily work. I can really recommend it and they are not expensive anymore, second hand.

Renzatic

Suspended
There must remain, within Apple, groups of people (not necessarily seniors) who realise the wrongness of recent directions. This post is a plea of sorts for those people to do more to make heard, make read, their voices.

Since I'm about to drop a ton of cash buying my first Mac, I'd like to know exactly what it is you don't like about it. I'm not being defensive here or anything (you always gotta throw that little disclaimer out when talking on the internet), but with all the complaints I've been seeing, I'm wondering if I'm about to get something that won't work as well as it should.

Is it just the new flattened UI redesign? If that's it, I can deal with that. I'm one of those weirdo people who likes the new flat look everything's going for these days, and Yosemite looks like its done flat pretty. It might be a little too colorful in places, but it looks nice, and is easy to read and identify. Even with the transparencies, which is something I thought was cool for all of 5 minutes with Windows 7 before it started feeling like it didn't do anything but get in the way, it still has a nice contrast to everything.

To me, Yosemite looks like a more colorful version of the later, better Gnome 3 desktops. I like the look of Gnome 3, and I like the old layout of OSX, which Yosemite doesn't seem to change up all that much. By association, I'd probably like the mix 'n match of the two that is Yosemite.

But if the OS underpinnings are a jumbled, janky mess of bugs and features that don't do anything except eat memory, I don't want to deal with it. I don't want to pay Mac prices for anything except super smooth performance. If Yosemite doesn't run like a greased up duck on frictionless ice, I'll opt out, and grab a cheaper, but still solid Windows machine and spend about an hour banging it into shape like I usually do. The 14" Razer Blade Pro looks pretty good, and it's $700 less than the retina iMac.

So is it the looks, the performance, or a mix of the two people are taking issue with?

also, that picture is FREAKING ME OUT! :eek:

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The things that were most intolerable about OS X 10.10

… I'd like to know exactly what it is you don't like about it. …

To me, Yosemite looks like a more colorful version of the later, better Gnome 3 desktops. I like the look of Gnome 3, and I like the old layout of OSX …

But if the OS underpinnings are a jumbled, janky mess of bugs and features that don't do anything except eat memory, I don't want to deal with it.

Your appreciation of Gnome 3 may help you to appreciate http://ux.stackexchange.com/a/61973/16809 in particular:

As a bug, it was high priority ('seriously broken' …) and critical. Raised on 2013-11-04, resolved by a fix on 2014-02-17.

Months after that fix, Apple appeared to attempt something like what had been achieved by Gnome developers before the fix.

I later realised that there had been related BS at WWDC 2014. More recently that BS was published by Apple within its new OS X Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) coinciding with the release of OS X 10.10.

On one hand: the response to my June 2014 problem report – I can justifiably call that problem serious breakage of Safari – does not suggest that Safari is working as intended, so there may be hope of Apple engineering being allowed to put things right – right, in a way that pleases more customers than were pleased by the first release (OS X 10.10) of Yosemite.

On the other hand: it's not just Apple's abandonment of the title bar for titled content. To put it politely, too much of what I saw in Yosemite was hopelessly misguided. It goes horribly against my principles to target any individual, especially a person who previously earnt great respect, but I'm inching towards placing the blame – the blame for allowing such butchery – with the person who led and/or directed the teams that were involved in the butchery.

I maintain the greatest respect for Apple people on the Software Customer Seeding side of things. I suspect that their hands, and the hands of engineering, are effectively tied by direction and leadership elsewhere. There's no evidence to support that suspicion, but there it is.

… that picture is FREAKING ME OUT! :eek:

My apologies for that look of a Bender. Pleasantly freaky, ultimately: just freaky. (Did someone mention the word 'cartoonish'?)

Today's change of avatar to a pink fluffy unicorn puking a rainbow was inspired by late afternoon discovery of a July 2014 tweet that compared the looks of pre-release Yosemite to said unicorn. By strange coincidence, my recent two-word response "Fluffy unicorns" to a MacRumors news article was removed (moderated) due to its frivolity. Those unicorns appeared post-moderation in pre-release notes that became the second most popular comment about the news.

It may be tempting to view the preceding paragraph as both disrespectful to moderators, and entirely frivolous. It is neither of those things. Whilst drafting this post, I dug deeper and discovered that the tweet was from a user experience designer. Then a little deeper … it was from someone who "has been blogging about design and technology since 2003 … one of the leading lights of the web standards movement …"; that person's book on mastery of a web-oriented technology has sold "over 60,000 copies and has been translated into a dozen languages.".

The most obvious BS in the new HIG is, debatably, Apple's wilful ignorance of basic HTML. That combination of wilful ignorance and BS is somewhat shameful.

With regard to recent polls: the unforgiving carelessness within Apple's development of Yosemite caused massive reductions to the likelihood of me recommending various Apple software products.

Opinions of others

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/526860878600482816 mentions some extremely respectable individuals. This evening's discovery of yet another respectable individual should remind us to not wilfully ignore everything that's posted on Twitter. Expect the /1010uglystick list, linked from that conversation, to grow over the weekend to more than six hundred bookmarks. Much of what's listed can't describe exactly what those people don't like about Yosemite, but it's a start.

Postscript: another discovery, that book author is local to me. I expect him to run a mile from my catalogue of criticisms of Yosemite ;-)

Last edited:

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I'm certain that this much, at least, is wrong with the company: Apple no longer has a single, clear, shared vision for OS X.
+1. Wouldn't have said it better.
I was initially tempted to contradict – to draw attention to recent certifications. Then I noticed the word 'polish'. Apple certainly knows how to polish a product. Between the earliest pre-releases of Yosemite, and the first release, the set of improvements is remarkable; it's an expertly polished turd –

– and my perception of OS X 10.10 as a turd, or simply ugly, is far from solitary. The recent negativities from customers, negative responses to an Apple OS for Mac hardware, are without precedent.
I appreciate how you took care on documenting these.

Even our university IT department went as far as sending a high-priority email to all community members offering help on how to downgrade normalised computers from the unwanted, unfinished Yosemite because it breaks major requirements such as network access, VPN, printers. I never seen that kind of alert in more than a decade of following Apple's news, not even when Microsoft broke its own OS with the release of Windows 8.

Recently I had to reinstall a C2D Mac Mini with the original Snow Leopard discs and I was surprised how snappy and clean the interface is. Yosemite with al the transparencies looks really distracting and cluttered. I regret upgrading beyond IOS 6 and OSX Snow Leopard. There are actually no compelling reasons for doing so other than security.
I am still using SL and iOS 6 as daily drivers. Even with iOS 6 now incompatible with many newer applications and feeling sluggish due to their increased weight and the now-slow iPhone 3GS hardware. As for SL, security can still be obtained through manual updates of UNIX parts (through MacPorts), and not using outdated parts of the OS. I will soon replace Safari with a separate profile of Firefox (itself a victim of so-called rapid release cycle), and there's no Flash installed.

Would you have other advice on how to keep on using that very well done OS and staying reasonably secure?

On the other hand: it's not just Apple's abandonment of the title bar for titled content. To put it politely, too much of what I saw in Yosemite was hopelessly misguided. It goes horribly against my principles to target any individual, especially a person who previously earnt great respect, but I'm inching towards placing the blame – the blame for allowing such butchery – with the person who led and/or directed the teams that were involved in the butchery.
Well said, and I would also add it seems like the person responsible for the team's direction went through a far worse path than the one that saw Maps fiasco (from which it still hasn't fully recovered: subway stations don't always appear in my city, and public transit calculation isn't offered as an option).

It seems as if the engineering team was never allowed to correct reported bugs, including major ones.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
lately, I've been uber cranky about the product that has been released recently. I was particularly snipey last week, but I do not hate as much as I am disappointed and weary of hype. Sometimes I get sick of hearing the hype and want Apple to put their money where their mouths are. You make a great product, yes, hype it to the ends of the earth, but gearing up a month before launch has proven to be too short a window several times now, epecially for the phones.

Played with the low end Mac Mini at the Grand Central Apple store this morning and that crawled > yes, I know it's the base line innards. Gotta say the base riMac was also super slow (unlike the snappy one at 5th Avenue.)

And the ongoing quality control > would have kept the iPad Air if the speakers did not sound like tin cans on a low volume. I understand most bands I still love recorded in very low budget conditions and with a lot of distortion/downtuning but damn... and it was much worse when watching movies. The latest Hobbit film was particularly bad as far as sound. I returned several Airs last year for the exact same reason and I hoped when I picked up the new one that Apple would address this, they aren't. Well, it's just a bummer. And why not release the iPhone 6 models with more ram?

They are lovely phones, but I am hesitant given the low ram and very high price tag (not to mention carrier bs which is the most unfortunate by-product of this nice update.)

The ease of use and my dislike of competitors keeps me hanging. Sometimes I ignore the hype and just roll, other times, I do not.

There is a lot of love it leave it in this thread which is one of mortal fallacies. We all have a breaking point and the OP might have reached his this isn't really good of bad unless you make a living with Apple software. There are many alternative out there especially for the OP's use case but he'll have to explore and probably put some effort into it. In my personal life I stopped buying Mac's with the Intel change, I figured if they were going use the same stuff as every one else then there was no need for me to use them anymore. My professional life is still on the Mac because all the software we use is Apple based and until that changes then Mac's will still live under our/my desk.

I hate how they messed up iOS on the iPad (any iPad).

There's not a single iPad, not even the new iPad 2, that performs smoothly.
The way to test this is pull down on the middle of the home screen to open spotlight.

You can see the terrible lag in the animations. I went to the Apple Store the other day and did this with the iPad 2. Horrible...

This problem has been there ever since iOS 7 (that I know of, first in-depth iPad experience was with a first-gen iPad mini).

They definitely seem to be losing their ''specialness''. The problems with Yosemite (I haven't even updated yet), The problems with Mavericks. Oh while on the subject of Yosemite. When I was at the Apple store I played around with the new Retina iMac. Even this thing had lag with Yosemite. I was so disgusted by that.. Paying well over 2000 for a computing machine and it still lags? Talk about disappointment.

I don't necessarily hate them (waste of energy) but I'm definitely starting to think less of them. They keep disappointing. I hope they wow me in 2015.

But I won't be holding my breath for it.

It all seems to be about profit, no longer quality anymore and it's sad.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Would you care to elaborate? I don't quite get your point.
I've used the internet since its beginning and I never used a mail program like outlook or the likes since 2013. I started using iOS mail with iOS 4.3.3.
I noticed that accessing mail has become increasingly annoying.
:apple:mail, iOS mail, that firefox mail app and even browser based email have become increasingly buggy and disfunctional.
For example gmail and yahoo keep on disabling and blocking accounts for "suspicious activity", whatever that is supposed to mean. Trying to force me to change passwords and give phone numbers. On iOS, airmail and :apple:mail I can't retrive mail because credentials are wrong (even though they are obviously not!) and iOS keeps asking me for my email password everytime I unlock the iPhone. Sometimes mails aren't sent and outlook is absolutely useless.
I have never had problems like mentioned above before 2009 and everyone I know has the same problems. So yes, email services have gotten intentionally ****ed up!

To the OP: You seem to have a rather unique usage and I am sorry that :apple: has taken away your options. :(

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I've used the internet since its beginning and I never used a mail program like outlook or the likes since 2013. I started using iOS mail with iOS 4.3.3.
I noticed that accessing mail has become increasingly annoying.
:apple:mail, iOS mail, that firefox mail app and even browser based email have become increasingly buggy and disfunctional.
For example gmail and yahoo keep on disabling and blocking accounts for "suspicious activity", whatever that is supposed to mean. Trying to force me to change passwords and give phone numbers. On iOS, airmail and :apple:mail I can't retrive mail because credentials are wrong (even though they are obviously not!) and iOS keeps asking me for my email password everytime I unlock the iPhone. Sometimes mails aren't sent and outlook is absolutely useless.
I have never had problems like mentioned above before 2009 and everyone I know has the same problems. So yes, email services have gotten intentionally ****ed up!

To the OP: You seem to have a rather unique usage and I am sorry that :apple: has taken away your options. :(
I get what you mean now. I always avoided accessing my email through the browser anyway because of the problems you report, and would add another, major one: even regularly clicking "not spam" on emails coming from mailing lists, they always end up in the Junk folder for unknown reasons, meaning I am forced to waste time in this folder regularly. Even private email services don't seem immune to the problem, as I regularly get "no response from server" on my iPhone and iPad.

But how exactly do you think email services, across platforms and providers, have gotten so flaky?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Google Wave, or "Part of why I loved the traditional Apple"

… how exactly do you think email services, across platforms and providers, have gotten so flaky?

This isn't anything like an exact answer, and it's off at a tangent, but I reckon that Google Wave truly did have the potential to bring about changes that would have ultimately ended the worldwide over-reliance upon a communications infrastructure in which e-mail (and e-mail related troubles) is perceived to be essential.

In as few words as possible: I recall thinking, around the time of the announcement of an end to Wave, that if a traditional Apple-like approach had been taken – more specifically, if absolute secrecy had been integral to development of the technology – if that secretive, closed approach had been taken by a company as excellent as Apple, something like Google Wave could have succeeded in freeing us from the pains associated with e-mail.

(For the apparent disregard for open source in the one paragraph above, I can feel the flames already. Readers, please be assured that I have enormously high regard for open source … it's simply not a panacea.)

I don't hate Apple now, but I did love the Apple that previously inspired such confidence.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Your appreciation of Gnome 3 may help you to appreciate http://ux.stackexchange.com/a/61973/16809 in particular:

As a bug, it was high priority ('seriously broken' …) and critical. Raised on 2013-11-04, resolved by a fix on 2014-02-17.

Months after that fix, Apple appeared to attempt something like what had been achieved by Gnome developers before the fix.

I later realised that there had been related BS at WWDC 2014. More recently that BS was published by Apple within its new OS X Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) coinciding with the release of OS X 10.10.

On one hand: the response to my June 2014 problem report – I can justifiably call that problem serious breakage of Safari – does not suggest that Safari is working as intended, so there may be hope of Apple engineering being allowed to put things right – right, in a way that pleases more customers than were pleased by the first release (OS X 10.10) of Yosemite.

I maintain the greatest respect for Apple people on the Software Customer Seeding side of things. I suspect that their hands, and the hands of engineering, are effectively tied by direction and leadership elsewhere. There's no evidence to support that suspicion, but there it is.

My apologies for that look of a Bender. Pleasantly freaky, ultimately: just freaky. (Did someone mention the word 'cartoonish'?)

Today's change of avatar to a pink fluffy unicorn puking a rainbow was inspired by late afternoon discovery of a July 2014 tweet that compared the looks of pre-release Yosemite to said unicorn. By strange coincidence, my recent two-word response "Fluffy unicorns" to a MacRumors news article was removed (moderated) due to its frivolity. Those unicorns appeared post-moderation in pre-release notes that became the second most popular comment about the news.

It may be tempting to view the preceding paragraph as both disrespectful to moderators, and entirely frivolous. It is neither of those things. Whilst drafting this post, I dug deeper and discovered that the tweet was from a user experience designer. Then a little deeper … it was from someone who "has been blogging about design and technology since 2003 … one of the leading lights of the web standards movement …"; that person's book on mastery of a web-oriented technology has sold "over 60,000 copies and has been translated into a dozen languages.".

The most obvious BS in the new HIG is, debatably, Apple's wilful ignorance of basic HTML. That combination of wilful ignorance and BS is somewhat shameful.

With regard to recent polls: the unforgiving carelessness within Apple's development of Yosemite caused massive reductions to the likelihood of me recommending various Apple software products.

Opinions of others

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/526860878600482816 mentions some extremely respectable individuals. This evening's discovery of yet another respectable individual should remind us to not wilfully ignore everything that's posted on Twitter. Expect the /1010uglystick list, linked from that conversation, to grow over the weekend to more than six hundred bookmarks. Much of what's listed can't describe exactly what those people don't like about Yosemite, but it's a start.

Postscript: another discovery, that book author is local to me. I expect him to run a mile from my catalogue of criticisms of Yosemite ;-)

Gnome 3 has been a red hot mess since it's introduction and now with hard deps on systemd well...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It all seems to be about profit, no longer quality anymore and it's sad.

Yeah, this is very obvious under Cook. Of course profit is what businesses want, but I do hope the 2015 Macs are kicked up a few notches beyond the chip upgrades once Intel get their stuff together.

I caved with the iPhone 6 because the flip phone experiment was not working. Can't say I am super happy (6 is starting to act up after the 2 week return), but hype lesson learned.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Some reasons to hate Apple:

• Apple is abandoning the Mac. I can understand that Apple's flagship product is the iPhone, because of the sales and revenue. But the Mac business is being more profitable than the iPad business, and, despite that, the iPad gets all the spotlights. Even Tim Cook said that he uses an iPad instead of a Mac 80% of the time, and that everyone should do the same. If the CEO of a technology company does not encourage the users to buy and use Macs, why should they?

• Apple doesn't allow me to upgrade my devices. I cannot add more memory to my retina MacBook Pro, for instance, even though I spent a lot of money on it. This is true for all Apple devices.

• Apple bought Beats, and paid an incredibly high price. Worse: Dr. Dre is now an Apple employee.

• Apple took 4 years to release a new version of iWork and, when it did, it removed features instead of adding new ones, probably to make the Mac version follow the iOS version.

• Apple is releasing a watch. A watch. Apple doesn't care about computers anymore. And it is starting not care about electronic devices either. Just coolness.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Some reasons to hate Apple:

• Apple is abandoning the Mac. I can understand that Apple's flagship product is the iPhone, because of the sales and revenue. But the Mac business is being more profitable than the iPad business, and, despite that, the iPad gets all the spotlights. Even Tim Cook said that he uses an iPad instead of a Mac 80% of the time, and that everyone should do the same. If the CEO of a technology company does not encourage the users to buy and use Macs, why should they?

• Apple doesn't allow me to upgrade my devices. I cannot add more memory to my retina MacBook Pro, for instance, even though I spent a lot of money on it. This is true for all Apple devices.

• Apple bought Beats, and paid an incredibly high price. Worse: Dr. Dre is now an Apple employee.

• Apple took 4 years to release a new version of iWork and, when it did, it removed features instead of adding new ones, probably to make the Mac version follow the iOS version.

• Apple is releasing a watch. A watch. Apple doesn't care about computers anymore. And it is starting not care about electronic devices either. Just coolness.

Even more reasons. Apple like many others sold out to bankers in Europe and moved the jobs to china.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Closer attention to the words of Tim Cook

… Apple is abandoning the Mac. …

Not so, although I understand why people may feel that way. It's a puzzling time.

… Even Tim Cook said that he uses an iPad instead of a Mac 80% of the time, and that everyone should do the same. …

That's not what he said. That's how some third parties chose to interpret his words. More accurately:

… “There’s no reason why everyone shouldn’t be like that. Imagine enterprise apps being as simple as the consumer apps that we’ve all gotten used to. That’s the way it should be” …​

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
"Hate" is a strong word. But "irritation", "mistrust", & "disappointment"? --Then yes, definitely.

This.

It's foolish to "hate" a company. A company Is a non-living entity.

I have been displeased with them lately on e software side.

Yes, "hate" is an overused expression, certainly in commentary on tech gear.

(Hah, and not to land the thread in PRSI but I do wish the US Supreme Court understood that companies are non-living entities :D)

I do get annoyed with Apple on the software side when they ditch features from the OS side, perhaps to make them more like the iOS stuff. This with respect to iTunes in particular. Sometimes they muck around with stuff that was clumsy but we had lived with it since iTunes 3 and suddenly it's a different keyboard shortcut or something (equalizer) , or there's NO keyboard shortcut, or it works globallly instead of playlist by playilst (repeat, shuffle). And sometimes they remove features (editing multiple playlists in different windows at once). But I don't hate them. I curse them out in my living room (scaring my cats) when I discover one of these gigs, but when I cool down enough, I just send a feedback that's not going to get me arrested and might even get put on a to-do list.

Blingers

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
A few things but mainly price

I'm happy to pay over the odds for Apple products as they are premium, but sometimes I really feel like we're getting the pi55 taken out of us, especially in the UK.. e.g.

There are many examples but heres one. In UK store to buy iMac the cost to add 8GB RAM = £160.

Now, it's impossible to buy 8GB RAM for more than about £70 in the UK -in fact the vast majority of 1600Mz comes in at about £50. Also, I'm spending £2000 on a computer so in any other shop I would get the RAM CHEAPER when spending that much. It's a joke. I don't care how 'premium' the RAM is you literally can't pay more than £100 for it elsewhere (EVEN WITHOUT spending £2k in the same store)

Also, they take the opportunity to add a few pounds (nearly 25%) in the conversion to UK (e.g. $2499 for iMac = £1610 but sold for £1999).

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

That's an odd statement, especially given that everything Apple makes is really a "computer" of one sort or another. Even the Apple watch, it's a computer and an electronic device.

Not a new thing either:

http://www.calcwatch.com/history.htm

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm happy to pay over the odds for Apple products as they are premium, but sometimes I really feel like we're getting the pi55 taken out of us, especially in the UK.. e.g.

There are many examples but heres one. In UK store to buy iMac the cost to add 8GB RAM = £160.

Now, it's impossible to buy 8GB RAM for more than about £70 in the UK -in fact the vast majority of 1600Mz comes in at about £50. Also, I'm spending £2000 on a computer so in any other shop I would get the RAM CHEAPER when spending that much. It's a joke. I don't care how 'premium' the RAM is you literally can't pay more than £100 for it elsewhere (EVEN WITHOUT spending £2k in the same store)

Also, they take the opportunity to add a few pounds (nearly 25%) in the conversion to UK (e.g. $2499 for iMac = £1610 but sold for £1999).

Remember US prices don't have sales tax added where here (the continent) they do. That doesn't cover all of the difference but some of it, the rest probably come down to the difference in consumer protection laws we enjoy here. Macs have gotten cheaper through the years believe it or not.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Not so, although I understand why people may feel that way. It's a puzzling time.

That's not what he said. That's how some third parties chose to interpret his words. More accurately:

… “There’s no reason why everyone shouldn’t be like that. Imagine enterprise apps being as simple as the consumer apps that we’ve all gotten used to. That’s the way it should be” …​

You are right, but my conclusion doesn't change.

If the CEO of a company says that 80% of his work should be done in the US$ 499 device, why should anyone bother to even look at the US$ 1,999 device? I can see clearly that Apple prefers the iPad over the Mac. This is not what I wanted to listen from the CEO of the company, and that bothers me. Does that mean that the iPad could one day do 100% of the work of Tim Cook? In that case, will the Mac be discontinued? This kind of statement is not what I wanted to hear from Apple's CEO.

----------

That's an odd statement, especially given that everything Apple makes is really a "computer" of one sort or another. Even the Apple watch, it's a computer and an electronic device.

Not a new thing either:

http://www.calcwatch.com/history.htm

Even though it is true, a watch is less of a computer than a Mac. It is a very simple computer, and what matters most is perhaps the looks of it and the materials. A gold watch! Is that really a computer, or is it more a fashion accessory than a computer?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Use cases

…If the CEO of a company says that 80% of his work should be done in the US$ 499 device, why should anyone bother to even look at the US$ 1,999 device? …

People consider alternatives to the iPad because use cases differ.

If my computing requirements are comparable to those of Tim Cook, then I could assume that around twenty percent of his computer-based work (and around twenty percent of my computer-based work) is better done with something other than an iPad. Typically a desktop or notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.